Well, it's been a good ride

The Milkman

Congrats Milkman!

Your comment "I value my time on this earth as priceless." I am with you 100%

5-5-17 its 12 years for me. Wont turn 62 till end of July. Yup! Don't do the math, I was 49 in May when I walked out, but didn't retire on paper till months after my 50 B-day. You should have seen all the individual checks. BEST payroll clerk ever!

I took advantage of early retirement from UPS/Teamsters and SS is next on my hit list. Numbers work for me. First in, First out!
Medicare I'ma comin for ya!

Nice move! Like yourself I would of left whatever age made me eligible, Life is way to short, Good Luck

The Milkman

Our retirees get together once a month for breakfast if they are in town. We usually have 12 to 15 of us. Not much shop talk anymore. Now its mostly about aches and pains:rolleyes:
What state you in? Ah the aches and pains, we all have them, don't forget the scars

Shiftless

I try to convince everyone to wait until 70 to draw SS. I don't want them getting into my share of the pie. I started SS at 62 and a half.

I agree EVERYONE should wait and take your SS at 70! Pass it on! Share the NEWS!

When I received this years SS statement it says "Your estimated benefits are based on current law. Congress has made changes to the law in the past and can do so at anytime. The law governing benefit amounts may change because, by 2034 the payroll taxes collected will be enough to pay only 79% of scheduled benefits."

Lets see? Collect NOW? OR wait till I'm 66 and 2 months or 70 then a couple years later have my benefit cut by at least a minimum of 21%?

Good thing I went to a couple of "I love life" and "Math Classes" in youth!

ski or die

Ski or Die
You don't need to file for Medicare withing 4 months of retiring. Maybe from when you become eligible but not the same thing.
The reason for obtaining your Supplemental Insurance within 4 months of retiring is so you do not have to go through underwriting. If you have a pre-existing condition and wait longer than the 4 months you can be denied, within 4 months they cannot deny coverage.

ski or die

Ski or Die
You are automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A when you turn 65 unless you are still employed and have health insurance. In my case I was only 49 when retired, our Teamster Supplement continued my insurance because I had 30 years in. When I turned 65, auto enrolled Medicare Part A which covers hospital. They asked if I wanted Medicare Part B which covers Doctors which I accepted, all this was done online. I then researched Supplemental pkgs with the individual insurance pkgs and purchased one that was satisfactory. I had a hip replacement surgery which ended up costing $95,000 and my copay was only $20.00.

oldngray

nowhere special
The reason for obtaining your Supplemental Insurance within 4 months of retiring is so you do not have to go through underwriting. If you have a pre-existing condition and wait longer than the 4 months you can be denied, within 4 months they cannot deny coverage.

Not true. Only if you are old enough to apply.

If you retire in your 50's you can't get supplemental coverage.

That only becomes important when you are old enough for social security and about to get kicked off UPS/IBT insurance.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Not true. Only if you are old enough to apply.

If you retire in your 50's you can't get supplemental coverage.

That only becomes important when you are old enough for social security and about to get kicked off UPS/IBT insurance.
You are correct. I forgot to add "when you turn 65 or if you continue to work after 65, when you retire and begin Medicare you need to obtain a Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplement." Some Teamster Local's may discontinue insurance when you turn 65 and force you on Medicare. Not sure about that, there are quite a few that have different requirements.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are correct. I forgot to add "when you turn 65 or if you continue to work after 65, when you retire and begin Medicare you need to obtain a Medicare Advantage or Medicare Supplement." Some Teamster Local's may discontinue insurance when you turn 65 and force you on Medicare. Not sure about that, there are quite a few that have different requirements.

Pretty sure that all Teamster locals kick you off of their insurance once you become Medicare eligible.

trickpony1

Post #32 alluded to a supplement....that's why I asked.

I know a feeder driver that retired very close to his 65th birthday. He is paying $200 a month for his wife to continue the BC/BS coverage (through the union) she/they had when he was working.

He asked a person of influence why he couldn't pay $200 a month for that same BC/BS coverage his non-union, not employed in a Teamster industry wife was getting so he didn't have to deal with an array of vendors offering supplements.

Nope....can't do it.

He wanted to give the union money.............nope can't do it.
(central states).

Last edited:

twoweeled

That has me baffled. Why would you consider SS and Medicare a "hassle". Between the 2 of them it might take a half hour out of your life to sign up. With Medicare they come after you and issue you a card automatically. My wife signed up for SS on the internet. It took all of 15-20 minutes.
Well it was easy for you, because we all know you're a very bright man. As most of us also know, I am not!! But I recall sometime back we were going through this, and something about 4 months! You had to sign up 4 months before, even if you weren't going to start yet? We did medicare and SS at the same time I think. We had to get something sign from one of our employers showing last day worked? We had to go into SS office twice because of that paper. But that's my world. Rarely do I say;
Damn! I can't believe how smooth that went!

rod

Retired 22 years
Well it was easy for you, because we all know you're a very bright man. As most of us also know, I am not!! But I recall sometime back we were going through this, and something about 4 months! You had to sign up 4 months before, even if you weren't going to start yet? We did medicare and SS at the same time I think. We had to get something sign from one of our employers showing last day worked? We had to go into SS office twice because of that paper. But that's my world. Rarely do I say;
Damn! I can't believe how smooth that went!

It happens---Things rarely go smooth. I spent an hour on the phone today trying to get a couple of things changed on an insurance policy. First of all they wouldn't even talk to my wife (she called them to begin with) and she is the beneficiary.

twoweeled

As of Monday May 1st I will no longer have medical, dental & vision benefits because I turn 65 in two weeks. Having these benefits made my decision to hang it up easy as soon as I was eligible. No waiting for the next contract, no more taking the daily stress and crap handed to you everyday while in your browns. Yes the costs that I was told I would pay over these last 10 years has crept up, but all in all I feel blessed to of had them. Hard to believe that it will be 10 years on 1/1/18 that I walked out into retirement.
Time flies, and that is the one thing we cannot buy. I value my time on this earth as priceless. Myself and others who have benefited with these retirement health care plans have truly earned them. As everyone someday will make that decision, you have to think back about those who have paved the way to where we are today. I feel lucky that as I look back on the Union itself , the old timers who helped me when I was a rookie, who gave me solid advice from experiences that they had prior to my hiring. I carried that advice and had respect for those who made things amongst us as a team of Brothers & Sisters a symbol of Strength, something that I feel today is somewhat lacking.

Since 1981 there has been many changes with UPS here and around the world, but the one thing that cannot change is that all of you still working have to stick together and hold strong in the face of the many changes that come about contract after contract.

Ups would like nothing better than to dissolve the Union, and cause us to fight amongst ourselves, which I am sure many of you can relate. I never thought that some of the hard earned benefits earned by those before me, and handed to me when I got hired would someday vanish little by little like erosion of a beach, not to return. I now move on with Life, dealing with SS medical, and a steady pension check every month.
Not many in this country can say they retired at 55 with medical benefits, we could because of banding together to make a better future for ourselves, our Families, current workers and retirees that follow. Without the Brotherhood I experienced with over 25 years at UPS that would of not been possible. My hats off to those who made the last 35+ years of my life better, something that some would come to envy, and for that I am Very Thankful, I am a blessed and Lucky guy for sure. Peace To All
Dang it, mi brotha! You realy goood at da righting and evereething! I Gat all red ies and evereething.

There was a point awhile back, I really realized how important time is. Time isn't infinite. It isn't going to be there forever. there is a line we won't go past. Dying with the most money, doesn't matter to anyone. That's when I decided to go and live the life I had been missing. I don't care what these guys try to convince themselves of. If your working 12 and 13's, you have no life. There's only 24 hours in a day. The math is easy. You Mr. Milkman are obviously aware of this. Take care, and have fun! Don't leave anything for the kids.

trickpony1

It's my understanding that you have 90 days before to 90 days after you sign up for SS to get Medicare and any supplemental policies you want/need.
I would recommend part A, part B and part D....at least.
Get your supplemental policy in that time frame also because pre-existing conditions will be covered (IMPORTANT). If you go outside the time constraints, pre-existing WILL NOT be covered.

I know a lady that did not get her part D supplemental because she wasn't taking any prescriptions within that window. She now pays a small penalty for the rest of her life.

Contact the SS office if you don't believe me.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
....if you are still working at age 65 or if you have retired (at 65) and are on Medicare? I'm confused.

I'll tell you why I ask after you answer my question.
You purchase insurance as a supplement to Medicare when you hit 65. Apparently we can purchase it through our plan. I'll let you know when I reach that point.

rod

Retired 22 years
You purchase insurance as a supplement to Medicare when you hit 65. Apparently we can purchase it through our plan. I'll let you know when I reach that point.

I know a few retirees who have Teamcare Supplemental Insurance. They say it is fine.