What am I missing?

lovetokayak

Hello everyone. I am a new member and was wondering if I could ask for some help and/or advice. Here is my story, which has been like a rollercoaster and I am not sure what has happened or if I am missing something.
Last year I was hired as a seasonal helper. I worked every day during the holiday season, and I was told by management that I did a good job. Once the holiday season was over, I went back to working what I did before, and that was that. Earlier this year I was called in for an interview for a full time driving position; I was asked while helping during the holidays, if I was interested in it, and was told about the 6-1 rule. I thought I did well during my interview and was told that it came down to myself and another person, who has worked for UPS in the past. I got a call a week or so later and was told, although it was a very close call, they ended up going with the other person. I understood, since he has worked for UPS before. I was told not to give up, because I have no idea how close I came to being hired. I thought, "yeah, right." So, here is where things get a bit interesting/confusing to me. A couple weeks after receiving the call about not being hired, I received another call and was offered a part-time pre-loader position, but was also told to think about it and talk it over with my spouse. I called back couple of days later at which point I was told, that actually the hub manager wants me to drive instead, so I just need to sit tight for a little longer. No problem, I thought. I kept checking in every couple of weeks, or they kept keeping me up to date. Things got to the point, where I was told the next driving position (seasonal or otherwise) is mine and that considering my background they have high expectations of me. I was given a specific date at the end of May when I can be expected to be hired. I was walking on cloud nine, working for UPS would be a dream come true and I would bend-over-backwards and work/do whatever I need to, just to have the chance. So, all seemed to go well until last week I made my usual "catch-up" call and was told that all jobs have been bid out, there is nothing for me not even pre-load, they are not sure what to tell me, they will try to figure something out, blah, blah, blah. I felt like a complete fool for believing that things could go so smoothly. They know how eager and willing I am to work for UPS. Is hard work-ethics, enthusiasm and dedication not enough anymore? I want to go in and tell the manager just get rid of my online application (which still shows as active.) I am confused. I know UPS has rules to follow, I understand the issues about seniority. I only wish they were straight forward with me, so I wouldn't keep my hopes up that I can one day work for this company.
Any advice would be nice, but please spare me of the nasty sarcastic ones, such as "what is wrong with you for wanting to work for UPS?" etc.
Thank you.

over9five

Staff member
We hear this all the time. UPS loves to keep people hanging. Maybe you were close to a job, but probably not. They knew how much you wanted the job, so they kept ya goin'. They knew they had you "in the bank" just in case they ever did need you.
It's sad how they use people.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
We hear this all the time. UPS loves to keep people hanging.

Yes, UPS does do that--and quite well to boot. I put up with UPS's BS a couple years ago on a school transfer. My transfer was turned down 14 hours before I left to move in to my new digs! This was 5 days after the Hub had cleared me! I'm a little older and wiser now, folks. I won't be led on like that again! -Rocky

diadlover

Hello everyone. I am a new member and was wondering if I could ask for some help and/or advice. Here is my story, which has been like a rollercoaster and I am not sure what has happened or if I am missing something.
Last year I was hired as a seasonal helper. I worked every day during the holiday season, and I was told by management that I did a good job. Once the holiday season was over, I went back to working what I did before, and that was that. Earlier this year I was called in for an interview for a full time driving position; I was asked while helping during the holidays, if I was interested in it, and was told about the 6-1 rule. I thought I did well during my interview and was told that it came down to myself and another person, who has worked for UPS in the past. I got a call a week or so later and was told, although it was a very close call, they ended up going with the other person. I understood, since he has worked for UPS before. I was told not to give up, because I have no idea how close I came to being hired. I thought, "yeah, right." So, here is where things get a bit interesting/confusing to me. A couple weeks after receiving the call about not being hired, I received another call and was offered a part-time pre-loader position, but was also told to think about it and talk it over with my spouse. I called back couple of days later at which point I was told, that actually the hub manager wants me to drive instead, so I just need to sit tight for a little longer. No problem, I thought. I kept checking in every couple of weeks, or they kept keeping me up to date. Things got to the point, where I was told the next driving position (seasonal or otherwise) is mine and that considering my background they have high expectations of me. I was given a specific date at the end of May when I can be expected to be hired. I was walking on cloud nine, working for UPS would be a dream come true and I would bend-over-backwards and work/do whatever I need to, just to have the chance. So, all seemed to go well until last week I made my usual "catch-up" call and was told that all jobs have been bid out, there is nothing for me not even pre-load, they are not sure what to tell me, they will try to figure something out, blah, blah, blah. I felt like a complete fool for believing that things could go so smoothly. They know how eager and willing I am to work for UPS. Is hard work-ethics, enthusiasm and dedication not enough anymore? I want to go in and tell the manager just get rid of my online application (which still shows as active.) I am confused. I know UPS has rules to follow, I understand the issues about seniority. I only wish they were straight forward with me, so I wouldn't keep my hopes up that I can one day work for this company.
Any advice would be nice, but please spare me of the nasty sarcastic ones, such as "what is wrong with you for wanting to work for UPS?" etc.
Thank you.
Can someone please summarize this in 3 or fewer sentences? I'm too tired to read all of this.

Cole

only wish they were straight forward with me, so I wouldn't keep my hopes up that I can one day work for this company.

That's UPS friend, sorry, but being straight would be logical, and they defie logic dailey. They probably wanted to, but may not have been up to an outside hire, or hired a part-time sup as their outside hire, or they were trying to squeak in an extra outside hire, and the folks that have been waiting raised some cain about it, as they should; if that's the case. That very thing is what got me active in the union about 20 yrs ago. They hired several off the street to drive, even though we were waiting, and didn't know how to fight for our rights etc...

Anyhoo, hang in there if that's what you want, but if you can I would suggest College, and specialize in something, because this job will wear your body out, and the retirement in some areas would have you working until you're 62.

DorkHead

Very common story. Look, if you get a chance to go PT, then take it. Never mind about casual driving. Get in permanent PT then you can become one of the 6, not the 1, which takes at least 8 yrs in our center to gain seniority. At least you will have vac. and pd. holidays as a perm. PT

Overpaid Union Thug

We hear this all the time. UPS loves to keep people hanging. Maybe you were close to a job, but probably not. They knew how much you wanted the job, so they kept ya goin'. They knew they had you "in the bank" just in case they ever did need you.
It's sad how they use people.

That describes their tactics quite well. It is done here year round. Our center is supposed to add a couple of drivers soon. "Soon" turned into 3 years, and still counting, very fast.

Six Sides

The only person that can tell you that you are hired is the HR rep. The center or operations people do not have a say in who is hired; although they think they do. Prior to hire the response is this “you are in the consideration pool and if you are selected we will call you”. When was the last time you spoke to the HR rep?

M

Midwest Upser

If you want to drive don't throw the towel in yet. Contract year is next year there will be retirements. At least in this part of the country there will be. And if you are hired as a perm. full time driver be prepared to not be working much. You jump when the tell you to or you get... well we don't need you today..but we will call you if something comes up.

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, I am with Sixsides. I think that you should talk to an HR person and keep calling as well. That kind of stuff doesn't happen at my center. And hard to believe that they already know that everyone is hired for the summer. Is it a Hub you are applying for? I maybe in the minority of this issue, but I say keep calling. Good luck.

lovetokayak

I spoke with the HR guy a week ago today. I would call every couple of weeks or he would call to let me know what was going on. He was also the one, who on several occasion said whatever the next position is open, it is mine.

lovetokayak

Yeah, I am with Sixsides. I think that you should talk to an HR person and keep calling as well. That kind of stuff doesn't happen at my center. And hard to believe that they already know that everyone is hired for the summer. Is it a Hub you are applying for? I maybe in the minority of this issue, but I say keep calling. Good luck.

Yes, it is at our Hub where I am applying. I am not a "pushy" person, but from the beginning I have been told to keep showing my face at the Hub and keep calling. So, I have. Making a point of going in every 2-3 weeks, talking with the manager, supervisors, etc. for a few minutes. I would also call the HR guy to check in with him. I once told him I don't want to be bothersome, but he said, no, no...they need to know you want the job.

lovetokayak

Cole, That is the thing...I do have college. This is why I think they have said "we have high expectations of you." I guess I will keep checking in with them, until my dialing finger falls off or they tell me to stop it.