What are some benefits for a P/T Supervisor?

Double time on holidays. Black Friday was a nice pay day. 1.5x after 8 hours. That does suck. But I'd gladly take it for those weeks where I come in under on hours.

Yep.

Political is the best way to put it. It's a little intimidating at first, but once you learn the game it gets easier. If you like challenges it's a good fit. If you are running a sort it's kind of like a chess game.

Agree x1000. Show your employees respect and loyalty and they will do the same to you. There's a lot of threads on here about mistreatment of employees. Don't be one of those people. Be firm, you are the boss. But don't be a jackass. Don't forget to reward your employees too. It goes a long way. I have certain goals for the sort set up and if we meet them I will buy everyone gatorade and pizza. It's all college kids on my sort so they're in heaven with that. Don't let crap roll down hill is basically what I'm trying to say. Just because you screwed up doesn't mean you get to take it out on your guys.
My supervisor does that. He hands out UPS goods or food if we do good work. Covers us while we gotta use the barthoom. I plan to be like that.

M

Mike hunt

I'm already aware of some of the cons. Just would like to know some of the good? Also, how does the insurance work? I've heard there are different packages. Anybody have a number on some of those packages? I'd appreciate it if we don't get off topic and just answer my questions.
Free ups polo shirts.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Free ups polo shirts.
Yep. Get em a size small. I'm a large in every other shirt. A large UPS polo would be like rocking a night gown to work every day.
I heard that the first one is free. The rest you have to pay for. That's why all the part time supervisors look like scrubs
You can get new ones when the old ones get worn out for free. Not sure why people don't. My FT jumps on us if they start looking ratty. We have to hold ourselves to a high standard, just as the drivers.

Yep. Get em a size small. I'm a large in every other shirt. A large UPS polo would be like rocking a night gown to work every day.

You can get new ones when the old ones get worn out for free. Not sure why people don't. My FT jumps on us if they start looking ratty. We have to hold ourselves to a high standard, just as the drivers.
Thanks for the heads up on the sizing. I'm medium in shirts.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Every person that goes supervision from part time quits. What they don't tell you is everything changes. Not only does upper management poop on you, union people will to. In other words your just going to be middle management. You pay for you own benefits, you do get tuition reimbursement. However they make that difficult. So if you don't plan on staying very long you should go for it. If you plan on staying a while don't do it. If you stay a while, eventually you will go driver. Driving is where you will make your money in the long run.

PT Car Washer

Every person that goes supervision from part time quits. What they don't tell you is everything changes. Not only does upper management poop on you, union people will to. In other words your just going to be middle management. You pay for you own benefits, you do get tuition reimbursement. However they make that difficult. So if you don't plan on staying very long you should go for it. If you plan on staying a while don't do it. If you stay a while, eventually you will go driver. Driving is where you will make your money in the long run.
My building has many career PT sups and it has been a long time since a PT sup was allowed to go driving. Used to be required to be promoted to FT sup but I have not seen that in quite a while.

UPSer_2006

I'm a friend/T Supv. in a dep't outside of Ops, but I started in Ops and promoted through Ops.

You will be disrespected by Union members and mowed over by upper management, but it's not a bad way to go. I graduated from college debt free. Not too many people can say that, in a world where McDonald's employees think they deserve $15/hr. UPS reimbursed me for about 50% of my college education costs (I went to State U). If you decide to go for your Master's degree, UPS only pays for $150 per credit.

Benefits will cost you about $650/yr out of paycheck (after incentives) for the high deductible plan for you plus family (includes wife and ALL kids). This includes medical, dental, and vision. Your deductible will be $3,000/yr and your total out of pocket MAX will be another $3,000/yr (TOTAL = $6,000/yr). You get to contribute to an HSA (like a piggy bank for medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, etc.), and I recommend that you do. The low deductible plan will cost you about $4,500/yr out of paycheck for the same coverage, and your deductible will be $250/yr per individual or $500/yr for the household. Your out of pocket MAX will be a total of $2,000/yr per individual or $4,000 for the household.

The pay sucks, which is to say it is inadequate and varies wildly. In the same way that drivers who join mgmt. start off with a much higher salary than the poor schmuck like me who has worked his way up, customer counter clerks will also come in making the MAX, typically, so be sure to ask for more. Treat this like they need you more than you need them, but be respectful. The reality is that you literally have nothing to lose by asking for more, hey what's the worst they can say? No? If that happens, you have two choices: accept their offer or stay in the Union ranks. Either way, you have nothing to lose.

You will be paid a salary for 27.5/hrs per week, and you'll have to fill out a week and enter your hours daily. if you work more than 27.5hrs/wk, then you'll be compensated for the additional hours on some sort of prorated schedule. If you work more than 40hs/wk, then you'll get overtime (1.5x).

Even if you choose to promote to P/T Supv., there's still a chance that you could become UPS pkg. driver. Depending upon opportunities in your local area and the political climate internally there, it may even be a way for you to fast track your way to becoming a UPS pkg. driver. Honestly, if I had the opportunity to become a UPS driver tomorrow, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

The choice is yours to make, my friend. Good luck!

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
I'm a friend/T Supv. in a dep't outside of Ops, but I started in Ops and promoted through Ops.

You will be disrespected by Union members and mowed over by upper management, but it's not a bad way to go. I graduated from college debt free. Not too many people can say that, in a world where McDonald's employees think they deserve $15/hr. UPS reimbursed me for about 50% of my college education costs (I went to State U). If you decide to go for your Master's degree, UPS only pays for $150 per credit.

Benefits will cost you about $650/yr out of paycheck (after incentives) for the high deductible plan for you plus family (includes wife and ALL kids). This includes medical, dental, and vision. Your deductible will be $3,000/yr and your total out of pocket MAX will be another $3,000/yr (TOTAL = $6,000/yr). You get to contribute to an HSA (like a piggy bank for medical, dental, vision, chiropractic, etc.), and I recommend that you do. The low deductible plan will cost you about $4,500/yr out of paycheck for the same coverage, and your deductible will be $250/yr per individual or $500/yr for the household. Your out of pocket MAX will be a total of $2,000/yr per individual or $4,000 for the household.

The pay sucks, which is to say it is inadequate and varies wildly. In the same way that drivers who join mgmt. start off with a much higher salary than the poor schmuck like me who has worked his way up, customer counter clerks will also come in making the MAX, typically, so be sure to ask for more. Treat this like they need you more than you need them, but be respectful. The reality is that you literally have nothing to lose by asking for more, hey what's the worst they can say? No? If that happens, you have two choices: accept their offer or stay in the Union ranks. Either way, you have nothing to lose.

You will be paid a salary for 27.5/hrs per week, and you'll have to fill out a week and enter your hours daily. if you work more than 27.5hrs/wk, then you'll be compensated for the additional hours on some sort of prorated schedule. If you work more than 40hs/wk, then you'll get overtime (1.5x).

Even if you choose to promote to P/T Supv., there's still a chance that you could become UPS pkg. driver. Depending upon opportunities in your local area and the political climate internally there, it may even be a way for you to fast track your way to becoming a UPS pkg. driver. Honestly, if I had the opportunity to become a UPS driver tomorrow, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

The choice is yours to make, my friend. Good luck!
This explanation is right on point. I was a pt supv, but went driving 14 years ago. Although I fast tracked into driving, I had to be a real hard ass and produce big time numbers. Luckily, the gamble paid off, and I was given a choice to drive or promote to FT SUPV. I gratefully chose to drive and leave thatcannibal island. PT mgmt was mentally exhausting and frustrating, not to mention low pay-and I was the best on my sort! I have tremendous respect for the good supvs, but it seems that many aren't qualified for the job because many read the writing on the wall beforehand, and don't go the mgmt rte. My 2 cents: college or not, if you plan to stay forever and make a great wage, regardless of the physicality, hang tough until your name is called to drive. Good luck, either way.

This explanation is right on point. I was a pt supv, but went driving 14 years ago. Although I fast tracked into driving, I had to be a real hard ass and produce big time numbers. Luckily, the gamble paid off, and I was given a choice to drive or promote to FT SUPV. I gratefully chose to drive and leave thatcannibal island. PT mgmt was mentally exhausting and frustrating, not to mention low pay-and I was the best on my sort! I have tremendous respect for the good supvs, but it seems that many aren't qualified for the job because many read the writing on the wall beforehand, and don't go the mgmt rte. My 2 cents: college or not, if you plan to stay forever and make a great wage, regardless of the physicality, hang tough until your name is called to drive. Good luck, either way.
What's the deal with your user name?

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Double time on holidays. Black Friday was a nice pay day. 1.5x after 8 hours. That does suck. But I'd gladly take it for those weeks where I come in under on hours.

Yep.

Political is the best way to put it. It's a little intimidating at first, but once you learn the game it gets easier. If you like challenges it's a good fit. If you are running a sort it's kind of like a chess game.

Agree x1000. Show your employees respect and loyalty and they will do the same to you. There's a lot of threads on here about mistreatment of employees. Don't be one of those people. Be firm, you are the boss. But don't be a jackass. Don't forget to reward your employees too. It goes a long way. I have certain goals for the sort set up and if we meet them I will buy everyone gatorade and pizza. It's all college kids on my sort so they're in heaven with that. Don't let crap roll down hill is basically what I'm trying to say. Just because you screwed up doesn't mean you get to take it out on your guys.
I was never in management at UPS, but I couldn't agree more!