what are you allotted per stop

outamyway

I'm curious to how that whole system works. If there is one apartment address that has 24 stops with 30 packages, how much time allowance do you get? It doesn't matter who you are, there's no way your doing 20 stops an hour in an apt complex. Especially if you take into account the time it takes to go through and sort 30 different packages with 24 apartment numbers.

I am speaking from experience. That is exactly what I had the last time I did a full route. I went form 25 stops an hour(all rezi) to about 15 in the apartment complex. This was a big complex too.

We have quite a few malls here and all the stops are seperated in EDD. Why not for an apartment complex?

paidslave

I'm curious to how that whole system works. If there is one apartment address that has 24 stops with 30 packages, how much time allowance do you get? It doesn't matter who you are, there's no way your doing 20 stops an hour in an apt complex. Especially if you take into account the time it takes to go through and sort 30 different packages with 24 apartment numbers.

I am speaking from experience. That is exactly what I had the last time I did a full route. I went form 25 stops an hour(all rezi) to about 15 in the apartment complex. This was a big complex too.

We have quite a few malls here and all the stops are seperated in EDD. Why not for an apartment complex?

Your allowance is the time it took you to do the job. If it took you an hour than you get paid the hour! Not rocket science.........

outamyway

Your allowance is the time it took you to do the job. If it took you an hour than you get paid the hour! Not rocket science.........

Yeah, that part is obvious. I mean how is the planned day calculated with a scenario like that. Even as an air driver I have a planned day calculated on our time sheets the next day. It's based on what and where I delivered. But I don't know exactly how it works.

BrownGuy

Yes, we have those. The per package allowance used to be .00235 hours which is roughly 8 1/2 seconds. Add to that your per stop allowance (which is area specific) add to that your travel allowance, add to that any other allowances (call tag, cod) and you get your final allowance. All of the allowances are in your center standards file.

FedexExEmployee

I was talikng to a fedex driver and he told me he has to average 12.5 seconds per package through the day. Does UPS have standards like this?

While I was never told the amount of time per stop I had, I knew the stops per hour I had to meet. Managers do check rides with Fedex couriers to establish goals. They also show us best practice methods which is just another way for the company to try and squeeze an extra minute or two out of each courier.
Like trying to squeeze out blood from a 100 year old stiff as we saw it.

Yeah, that part is obvious. I mean how is the planned day calculated with a scenario like that. Even as an air driver I have a planned day calculated on our time sheets the next day. It's based on what and where I delivered. But I don't know exactly how it works.
The point is that the allowances are all done with smoke and mirrors and they are not fair and they are ambiguous. Don't feel bad, the time allotted on nearly everything you do is there to put pressure on you to do more and more in a shorter period of time. The union does not recognize the allowances, you shouldn't either.

tups

Always remember, those are THEIR numbers, not the drivers. Drivers numbers take into account things they conveniently overlook, traffic, weather and one that should be obvious, safety. During yesterday's snowstorm, one driver had 4 stops in an area that he felt was inaccessible due to ice and snow covered hilly streets. The sup told him he has the highest number of undeliverable pieces in the center. This guy is relatively new as a driver, under a year I believe, and he was feeling pressured, especially since he was charged an accident a few months ago, but some other drivers who have been around for a while just told him safety first, they can worry about their numbers later. Do your job, do it to the best of your ability, do it safely, and at the end of the day, you work for 8 hours, you still get paid for 8 hours.

Big Babooba

I was once told by an IE person that after a route is time studied, they go back to all the buildings with elevators and time them. They then average out all the elevator times and add to the area allowance. I once had a 4 story factory building that had been converted to artist studios. The elevator was out for 8 months because a part had to be custom made for it(it was that old). Can you imagine what an 8 month elevator time allotment could do for your time allowances?:happy-very:

FedexExEmployee

Always remember, those are THEIR numbers, not the drivers. Drivers numbers take into account things they conveniently overlook, traffic, weather and one that should be obvious, safety. During yesterday's snowstorm, one driver had 4 stops in an area that he felt was inaccessible due to ice and snow covered hilly streets. The sup told him he has the highest number of undeliverable pieces in the center. This guy is relatively new as a driver, under a year I believe, and he was feeling pressured, especially since he was charged an accident a few months ago, but some other drivers who have been around for a while just told him safety first, they can worry about their numbers later. Do your job, do it to the best of your ability, do it safely, and at the end of the day, you work for 8 hours, you still get paid for 8 hours.

I had all hills on my old route. During snowy weather, they always pressured me into getting all the stops. I simply used the safety first cards. I told dispatch to call the customer and see if they want to meet me at a flat location.
One time my manager told me to walk up a 3 block steep hill to hit a drop box. LOL I told him I didn't feel safe walking up the hill in the snow. Safety first doesn't only apply to being in the vehicle.
Anyway, he got all upset and said "fine, I'll just take the hit."
These people are unreal. He didn't care less about my safety, just his numbers.

Leftinbuilding

Many moons ago I was told UPS time studied 100 drivers, under different conditions, in different parts of the country. They then threw out the top 40 and the bottom 40. They averaged out the remaining 20 to come up with their allowances. One of the major factors in figuring time allowances on a particular route is "walk" distance. How far is it from the car to the delivery point? Most other factors, sort time, cod's, traffic etc are pretty standard.

S

Sales leads? Not from me

Get the computer to deliver the packages. Oh wait, a computer can't deliver packages.