What can i get fired for?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Who knows? They can try to fire you for anything. They change the game day by day. I figure if they don't want me in the office. I made a new day.

andrsnbkj

Proven dishonesty.
Sheeting next day airs when you are not at the stop.
An accident where someone has to be taken away from the scene in an ambulance.
Peeing in bottles and leaving them in your truck and someone picks it up and it spills on them.
Getting caught stealing time.
Workplace violence.
Unreported accident.
Getting caught stealing time they can accuse you of it too

brostalss

Purchasing several 5 gallon buckets of paint, put them on the top shelf in the back and finish your route.

During which a few of those buckets fall and break open leaving a trail of paint in the city streets. The. At the building. Using the car wash to clean it out, clogging the city sewer system and having the Fire Dept. Haz Mat crew show up and cause UPS about $12,000 in damage and fines.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Purchasing several 5 gallon buckets of paint, put them on the top shelf in the back and finish your route.

During which a few of those buckets fall and break open leaving a trail of paint in the city streets. The. At the building. Using the car wash to clean it out, clogging the city sewer system and having the Fire Dept. Haz Mat crew show up and cause UPS about $12,000 in damage and fines.
Paint cans on the.top shelf? Ahhhh they'll be fine...lmao

21_years_in

I already made my 30. What can i get fired for? Also I'm not in a RTW state, that means I'm automatically in the union right? I did use the search feature , found nothing.
This is the question that initially brought me to Brown Cafe. I had been targeted by management because I had reported a grave safety concern to a government agency. I needed to keep my job so I exhaustively researched how to become immune to discharge. This is what I settled on:

(1) Be paranoid. Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you. You will probably be a target at some point in your career, so you have to be 100% compliant 100% of the time. When I do my route, I do it as though there are HD surveillance cameras in the package car, audio surveillance in the DIAD and a Loss Prevention guy filming my every move.

I am not so paranoid as to believe this, but having this mindset keeps me compliant all the time. Even on the days when they have loaded 15+ hours worth of work on the car, I drive as though there is a cop behind me, and I work as though I am on a safety ride. Are my days longer? Yes, but my wife loves the paychecks. And it's honest money.

(2) If a driver is so stupid as to steal, use drugs, carry a gun, etc. then they deserve to be fired. Carry this behavior over into your non-UPS time. Getting arrested for even a misdemeanor cannot enhance your job security. For example, call a cab if you risk a DUI, don't peddle drugs, don't carry loaded guns around in an illegal manner, don't get in a fist fight, don't grow marijuana, don't fish or hunt illegally, don't buy stolen property, etc.

(3) Cover your butt. If any issue arises that could possibly threaten your job security, communicate the issue ASAP to management or OMS. Take a moment to take a picture of anything that you may need to defend yourself (e.g., an ODS message or pilfered package). Buy a cheap notebook and throw it in your work bag; note the dates and details of any situation wherein you may need to defend yourself. At the end of the day, skip whatever amount of paid break time that you spent taking pictures or writing notes. As an aside, I never plan to go on the offensive. All of my documentation is for defensive purposes only.

(4) Go along to get along. Don't be a jerk, gossiper or backstabber. You will work with these people for decades--no need to make enemies. Have sympathy for the plight of management and only fight the battles that you must fight. It is not the fault of the supes at your center that you are slammed. They are not given the staffing that they need in order to achieve success. They are expected to meet impossible numbers. That is for them to worry about, though. Your job is to drive and work safely 100% of the time. We are often given a choice between (A)following the methods (and having a long day) and (B)cutting corners and finishing the route without being sent help (or getting home at a reasonable time). Plan ahead of time to follow all the methods and send an ODS message ASAP if there is a chance that you may not make service on any package(s).

I often have to ODS in for help because I can't keep it under 14 hours. Perhaps the supes are hoping that I will spend some of my personal time working--that ain't gonna happen. When you are on the clock: work. When you are off the clock: shut it down.

(5) Remain calm. This is a union job. Don't ever do anything that would get you fired and you'll never have to look over your shoulder.

(6) Report any property damage that you cause. E.g., cracking a side mirror, running over a cat or hitting someone's fence. Remember: cover your butt.

(7) Be aware of customers filming you. Many people have onsite video surveillance and almost everyone has HD recording capability on their phone. YouTube has a lot of videos of UPS and FedEx drivers abusing packages, driving unsafely and goofing off while on the clock. Stay off the radar.

(8) I never make plans for weekday evenings so that I can work safely no matter how overdispatched I am.

(9) Less said, best said. Don't be a Chatty Cathy with either customers or coworkers. Who knows what you might say that will find its way to those who take offense at your words.

Last edited:

Ouch

Do the job the way tha you were taught and you won't have to worry about it.
Do not do the job like you were taught. Do the job according to methods and Itegrity. A lot of sups cut corners that will not come back to bite them in the butt. You can be fired for anything they make up. If it sticks or not is another story. If you get behind, do not cut corners, continue the methods. It'slike a game. You play by the rules and you win.

PT Car Washer

Had a driver sup train a new PM Air Driver on how to fold the mirrors when going through the wash tunnel. Of course not all package car mirrors are the same and when he ended up cracking a mirror he was charged with an accident. Anyone else and manager says to write it up on the DVIR and nothing else is ever said.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Had a driver sup train a new PM Air Driver on how to fold the mirrors when going through the wash tunnel. Of course not all package car mirrors are the same and when he ended up cracking a mirror he was charged with an accident. Anyone else and manager says to write it up on the DVIR and nothing else is ever said.
write it up , that's not an accident, mirrors are broken all the time from dodging an oncoming vehicle(hitting a sign) to someone moving the truck at night.

Last edited: