What can't you do on lunch break?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Yup...i've seen a bunch of guys fired for this...a few went for treatment and got their jobs back but still had to deal with pissing in cups and management riding their :censored2: for months after.
Yeah, may as well try to find a new job on your lunch break, instead.

I've always wondered what the punishment is for drinking non-alcoholic beverages on a lunch break, though....is that a slippery slope, you think? :D

MaceFremonti

I once, on lunch, many moons ago, on a college campus, got a P1000 stuck behind a female dorm, whilst I was "studying" the female form.

Ended up getting the Grounds department guys to pull me out with a front end loader.

The studying was worth it.

brownstreak86

Here in Montana a driver took his compound bow with him and shot an antelope on his lunch break. He has permission from a landowner an through the critter in the back of the truck once shot and gutted. He would have gotten away with it, but bragged about it and showed everyone when he got into the office. He was then laid off for about 12 weeks while the union debated weather or not he had a weapon in his truck. He was then hired back, though he called the antelope his $16000 antelope because thats about how much money he lost. David Letterman called him up and tried to get him on the show, he turned it down. So yeah, you may get laid off for killing an animal on lunch, but you will probably get hired back =)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Years ago on an OJS my supervisor brought his compound bow on car and we went by my house on lunch break and shot archery practice for an hour.
There must be more to the story in regards to the driver in Montana getting fired because having a compound bow on car is not prohibited in the contract.

Indecisi0n

Years ago on an OJS my supervisor brought his compound bow on car and we went by my house on lunch break and shot archery practice for an hour.
There must be more to the story in regards to the driver in Montana getting fired because having a compound bow on car is not prohibited in the contract.
Sorry but in today's UPS I would say it is. We aren't even allowed to carry liquid windex in our trucks but it's considered a controlled substance. I kid you not.

JL 0513

Is carrying a compound bow any different than carrying a rifle? I wouldn't say so. I'm pretty sure we can't carry rifles.

JL 0513

Here in Montana a driver took his compound bow with him and shot an antelope on his lunch break. He has permission from a landowner an through the critter in the back of the truck once shot and gutted. He would have gotten away with it, but bragged about it and showed everyone when he got into the office. He was then laid off for about 12 weeks while the union debated weather or not he had a weapon in his truck. He was then hired back, though he called the antelope his $16000 antelope because thats about how much money he lost. David Letterman called him up and tried to get him on the show, he turned it down. So yeah, you may get laid off for killing an animal on lunch, but you will probably get hired back =)

Everything else aside, isn't it against policy to use the package car to transport personal cargo/large items aside from your usual person belongings (backpack/cooler)?

To my understanding, one could not even do his grocery shopping at the end of the day on lunch and lug back 10 grocery bags in his PC. You're using UPS property to transport personal things.

Another scenerio: you see an item on the side of the road marked "free". A driver couldn't take it on route because of the same argument.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Is carrying a compound bow any different than carrying a rifle? I wouldn't say so. I'm pretty sure we can't carry rifles.
Oh hell no. But we can ship the rifle and the ammunition in the same truck. Nothing bad should happen then.

brownstreak86

But is killing an animal with that compound bow against contract?

soberups

Sorry but in today's UPS I would say it is. We aren't even allowed to carry liquid windex in our trucks but it's considered a controlled substance. I kid you not.
UPS policy and the contract language which governs suspensions and discharges are two seperate things.
UPS can certainly have a policy banning Windex or compound bows or anything it wants from its property, but the list of offenses we can actually get terminated for ( without first receiving a warning letter ) is specifically laid out in the contract. And the contract doesnt say a word about compound bows or Windex.

soberups

From the Western Region supplement, Article 28 Section 2....
"In cases of (1)proven dishonesty (2)drinking of alcoholic beverages on duty (3) recklessness resulting in a serious accident while on duty (4) the carrying of unauthorized passengers (5) unprovoked assault on an employee or supervisory employee while on duty (6) selling, transporting or use of illegal narcotics while in the employment of the Employer; or (7) willful, wanton or malicious damage to the Employers property, shall be dischargeable offenses WITHOUT the necessity of a warning letter being in effect."

Nothing in there about Windex, or compound bows, or hunting antelope on lunch break. So if you work in the Western Region, you cant be summarily terminated for what you do on your lunch break unless it is one of those "7 deadly sins."

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Everything else aside, isn't it against policy to use the package car to transport personal cargo/large items aside from your usual person belongings (backpack/cooler)?

To my understanding, one could not even do his grocery shopping at the end of the day on lunch and lug back 10 grocery bags in his PC. You're using UPS property to transport personal things.

Another scenerio: you see an item on the side of the road marked "free". A driver couldn't take it on route because of the same argument.

This has already been beaten to death in another thread.

If this were true then how did that patio set make it from the side of the road to my deck? ;)

Because you bent the rules?

clean hairy

What would happen in this scenario?
A friend, (non ups person) picks you up and takes you to lunch. You have secured your vehicle before leaving it.
Upon your return, you see the front of your truck damaged so bad it can't be driven. Best guess is that a raised up pick up might have backed into it and fled. No one you ask knows how it happened.
No idea what would happen to the driver if anything.
What do each of you guess might happen to the driver in this case?