What degree is best for a management position

TungFang

I was wondering, if your Depot is not on the earn to learn program can you submit a app anyways, and still get money towards your schooling especially if your going to apply It to UPS. Also I was wondering if Bussiness/ cummincation was a good degreee to attain, or is there one they like better ? Thank you all, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can please feel free to fill me in on any information regarding my career with UPS, Thank you so much.

brazenbrown

I would get a degree in Business with a minor in abnormal Psychology to take care of people like Griff! Being able to deal with people that have "oppositional defiance disorder" can be a real plus.:wink:

Good luck!!

trickpony1

Any degree will do.
We've had management will degrees in art and history.
We had a district manager that didn't have a degree but she had other assets........

bit

8+ years as a sup and I can't figure it out.

Be dangerous to any project, lose money for your team, and your superiors will speak highly of you trying to grease the skids trying to get you out. Sometimes "getting you out" may get you promoted.

Don't be one of those half-wit kludges that can't do their job - You have to be really dangerous to your team.

Me? I've saved the company millions, made systems more efficient, pulled 60+ hour weeks in Corp and I'm still doing what I have been doing.

The only true degree I'd suggest is a degree in patience. There is going to be some amazing stuff coming down the pike in the immediate future.

JustTired

free at last.......
If I had a degree, I surely wouldn't waste it at UPS. It doesn't take one to say "Yes sir, Yes sir, Yes sir."

Just remember this: The smarter you are, the more disatisfied you'll be with your job.

If you can go through life doing what you're told, not having an opinion of your own, and trying to make sense out of numbers that don't mean anything.....then by all means go for it.

Heck, the best CMs I've had barely had a high school diploma. Of course that was back in the day when they were actually allowed to manage!

ups_vette

Judging from the responces from some of the posters in here, a Masters Degree in Early Childhood Development would be required to deal with more than just a few of these posters.

U

upsguy32

"Judging from the responces from some of the posters in here, a Masters Degree in Early Childhood Development would be required to deal with more than just a few of these posters."

Most of the comments here sound kind of absurd, but still there's a lot of truth in them.

"Judging from the responces from some of the posters in here, a Masters Degree in Early Childhood Development would be required to deal with more than just a few of these posters."

Most of the comments here sound kind of absurd, but still there's a lot of truth in them.

You got a point. managers and supervisors do a lot of baby sitting. lol

Braveheart

If I had a degree, I surely wouldn't waste it at UPS. It doesn't take one to say "Yes sir, Yes sir, Yes sir."

Just remember this: The smarter you are, the more disatisfied you'll be with your job.

If you can go through life doing what you're told, not having an opinion of your own, and trying to make sense out of numbers that don't mean anything.....then by all means go for it.

Heck, the best CMs I've had barely had a high school diploma. Of course that was back in the day when they were actually allowed to manage!
Well said!

Braveheart

Judging from the responces from some of the posters in here, a Masters Degree in Early Childhood Development would be required to deal with more than just a few of these posters.
Sorry to tell you this but, more of us have degrees than you may know. And the last time I checked we manage our routes and customers every day! We have investments, 401k's, stocks and so forth. I have talked to no fewer than 6 former managers who all got fed up with the lies and quit. They all said that UPS instructs them to do whatever it takes including lie, hide, deny, alter numbers, intimidate, harass, coerce, or else you are FIRED! They all said they could not continue to treat the employees the way they had been forced to. One told me a story of how his two favorite days at UPS were his first day when he thought what a great company to work for. The other was his LAST DAY! He said he felt like he had been released from prison! He was a company man too!

Last edited:

TrackThis

So far I have been honest and true in my management position. luckily I'm still p/t!! I have also noticed that there seems to be this wall with non management and management ups employees. I find that sad. obviously, i have to watch my back and do as im told b/c once im fired im gone.... unless i feel, i was fired wrongly and I will fight to the death.(without union help) Fortunately, I have great upper mgnt personnel who remember being that p/t unloider/loader(so do I) and they look out for the employees. In the end, it seems that your out for yourself. Thats why im trying to go back into an "hourly" position. Time for a career change! I am currently trying to find out info on how i can become a feeder driver. any info you may have, great!

To answer the original question, any degree will do. Just start making friends. Its who you know, now days. The degree of networking.

I actually recently failed the panel(interview) to be put into the pool for a job for friend/t management... I knew none of the managers conducting this interview (theirs 3) and none of them understood my job. I think its a stupid way to grade someone to see if they are fit for the job in the first place. They give you scenario questions and ask how you would handle the situation. They failed me b/c I did not ask for help, was not detailed enough(exactly what i will do) and did not prioritize well. That told me they were not looking for a leader but an order taker. I have seen incompetent p/t sups pass and get promoted... I am sure you guys ask youself... why is he/she in management.

UPS Lifer

I would get a degree in Business with a minor in abnormal Psychology to take care of people like Griff! Being able to deal with people that have "oppositional defiance disorder" can be a real plus.:wink:

Good luck!!

Got to agree with brazen, I tried to give you some rep points but it said I have to spread them around first!!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Seriously,
Business is the way to go. I can tell you that the degree helps polish your skills but if you don't have the skills to do the job no degree will help you to move up with UPS. As soon as you declare your interest in management you are in an ongoig job interview for the rest of your career. You are always under the microscope and the company will work hard to place you where you will best utilize your skills. The company will also work hard at putting you in siturations and training to best hone those skills. None of this is bad....it is just reality.

I have been in district meetings that discuss career development (dart throwing is what most people call it!). Most sups and managers are groomed for the jobs they do based on previous results and skill sets.

UPS Lifer

what kind of things do you they teach you in class if you go for business management?

Your best bet is to go to the website of the college you want to attend and look at the course requirements for the degree you may pursue. The idea is to get you to be well rounded in the areas that are associated with business. As with anything, this is just the start. Your success depends upon your initiative to continue your education & training and how you apply what you learn.

Each state has basic core requirements as well as the requirements of the degree you pursue.

Some of the course requirements that I had to take included: Economics, Statistics, Accounting, Computer Science, Speech, Business Law, etc., etc.

I also had to pursue a thesis or senior project. I picked a topic that would benefit me at work. It involved training.

jace1319

I get a laugh at some of these nonsensical posts. But realistically being in union dont have that many benefits. Theres only so much the union can do. And in management as long as you do what you get paid to do then you'll be alright. they wont fire you for no reason or just because they dont like you. All you have to do is be lazyy and throw the hammer down the line.if the hammer ever falls on you. throw the hammer at the people working for you lol after all its their job in which their getting paid to do so and i would opinion a business degree just in case you might want to end up looking elsewhere. Good luck

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
They all said that UPS instructs them to do whatever it takes including lie, hide, deny, alter numbers, intimidate, harass, coerce, or else you are FIRED! They all said they could not continue to treat the employees the way they had been forced to.

The most successful managers treat their people fairly. People that can't do their job often put the blame on the company for their own deficiencies. Occasionally people do stupid things, but it's a false generalization to say the company supports lying, hiding, denying, etc.