Was Offered Career Rural Carrier Position at USPS

Guitarman01

I know I brought this up before, I applied because it sounded a little more unique and rarer from the job postings you normally see for the post office (most are non-career positions). Ive read people can be stuck there as RCAs? or non-career fill-ins for years.
I have not talked to one person lol. I dont even have a contact to ask any questions. A few emails, my resume, assessment test, and a license check and they offered me the position.
I have 3 days to accept it. No waffling or much time to think like I like to do.
Starts at 24.49 an hour, I think tops out at 36 in 13 years?
At least you are guaranteed raises and have a union, granted prob not nearly as good as teamsters.
lots of federal holidays, I think as career position you dont have to work overtime if you dont want to? idk.
Not sure how good fed insurance and retirement is. I think they have a pension, plus a 401k. I believe the Fedex 401k is better with the match.
Not sure if ill be driving one of the old ass livs? or something newer with ac like I see on alot of rural routes.

Anyways, I have it pretty good at Fedex, prob one of the better rtes. I like most of the people I work with, Managers are good.
Im pretty sure the people wont be as cool at the post office, but idk.
Obviously so much uncertainty at Fedex, id be upset if I turned this down only to get laid off down the line.
Even if not, I do think the sprinters will be leaving and the workload increased with the merge (if I still have a job), while pay will remain the same or less even? with sporadic step raises.
If I had confidence that FedEx would do the right thing and offer more competitive, consistent pay to go along with the merge, I would maybe turn down the Post Office, but just like most of you, I dont think I do.

Can be hard jumping out of that comfort zone, Thoughts?
3 Friggin days lol.

bacha29

I know I brought this up before, I applied because it sounded a little more unique and rarer from the job postings you normally see for the post office (most are non-career positions). Ive read people can be stuck there as RCAs? or non-career fill-ins for years.
I have not talked to one person lol. I dont even have a contact to ask any questions. A few emails, my resume, assessment test, and a license check and they offered me the position.
I have 3 days to accept it. No waffling or much time to think like I like to do.
At least you are guaranteed raises and have a union, granted prob not nearly as good as teamsters.
lots of federal holidays, I think as career position you dont have to work overtime if you dont want to? idk.
Not sure how good fed insurance and retirement is. I think they have a pension, plus a 401k. I believe the Fedex 401k is better with the match.
Not sure if ill be driving one of the old ass livs? or something newer with ac like I see on alot of rural routes.

Anyways, I have it pretty good at Fedex, prob one of the better rtes. I like most of the people I work with, Managers are good.
Obviously so much uncertainty at Fedex, id be upset if I turned this down only to get laid off down the line.
Even if not, I do think the sprinters will be leaving and the workload increased with the merge (if I still have a job), while pay will remain the same or less even? with sporadic step raises.
If I had confidence that FedEx would do the right thing and offer more competitive, consistent pay to go along with the merge, I would maybe turn down the Post Office, but just like most of you, I dont think I do.

3 Friggin days lol.
What about vehicle allowance. Will you be running your own vehicle or using one of those little USPS mail cars. ? All the worn out ones were sent out to the rural areas. Will you have a dedicated route or will you be a substitute running Xpress mail on Saturday, Sunday and holidays?

If you're a sub carrier newbie you might want to check to be sure of a 40 hour week. The reason I ask is that around this little piece of heaven you're a sub carrier at the beginning the majority of the time.

Guitarman01

What about vehicle allowance. Will you be running your own vehicle or using one of those little USPS mail cars. ? All the worn out ones were sent out to the rural areas. Will you have a dedicated route or will you be a substitute running Xpress mail on Saturday, Sunday and holidays?

If you're a sub carrier newbie you might want to check to be sure of a 40 hour week. The reason I ask is that around this little piece of heaven you're a sub carrier at the beginning the majority of the time.
That's what I'm saying this is a "career position" Im pretty sure I bypass most of what you just said because the majority of job postings at USPS are for non-career positions that may lead to a career position. This isn't that. I could be driving one of those newer vans I've seen on rural rtes idk. I definitely need some questions answered before I jump ship if I do.

bacha29

That's what I'm saying this is a "career position" Im pretty sure I bypass most of what you just said because the majority of job postings at USPS are for non-career positions that may lead to a career position. This isn't that. I could be driving one of those newer vans I've seen on rural rtes idk. I definitely need some questions answered before I jump ship if I do.
Sounds like FDX. Believe only what you see....never what you hear.

cosis

If they are offering you a regular position right off the bat it makes you wonder, a lot of people wait years as a RCA before the turning regular. Get more information on the route. Fedex is no longer a secure position so wouldn't blame you for jumping ship now.

vantexan

If you can confirm you will be getting benefits and regular raises and a real pension then you'd be crazy not to. One thing to consider is you will be on a regular schedule as opposed to at times start late and run to get back to the building on time. Working peak will likely be very different than FedEx(in a good way).

Red Headed Stranger

Depending on where your rural route is, you'll probably be driving your own vehicle and getting an allowance. I do know our regular carrier is paid by the route, not by the hours worked. He said they do a time study (but never during the holiday season....of course!) to determine how long it should take, but you are paid based off of the route and the number of miles covered each day. He said he is also required to have two vehicles, just in case one is in the shop for repairs.

Guitarman01

Well it seems I had to accept the offer just to get more info so that's what I did. Have to get fingerprinted in person and a background check. Job title says career rural carrier with benefits. Doesn't say anything about the rte or rtes, days off or what I will be driving just varies. It did mention possibly your own vehicle, but knowing how these offers work, it's probably all generalized initially, I'll find out more soon and either except or bail depending on conditions.

bacha29

Well it seems I had to accept the offer just to get more info so that's what I did. Have to get fingerprinted in person and a background check. Job title says career rural carrier with benefits. Doesn't say anything about the rte or rtes, days off or what I will be driving just varies. It did mention possibly your own vehicle, but knowing how these offers work, it's probably all generalized initially, I'll find out more soon and either except or bail depending on conditions.
Just like working for a Ground contractor. You go in every morning with absolutely no idea what you're going to be doing that day.

Guitarman01

You come on here to ask for what's best for your life? Be an adult and make your own decisions.
A little insight is always good to help make that adult decision lol. I've done that numerous times in my life. I was talking to express guys before I even took the job. It's similar here. Researching what you might be getting into doesn't seem like a bad play to me.

PoirotAtUPS

3 Friggin days lol.
A few thoughts- what would your commute be? Federal benefits are solid, even if you don’t stay forever they’re more solid than FedEx. Be sure to know the schedule- USPS is delivering a lot of Amazon packages on Sunday - will this be expected of you?

bacha29

Except for the better pay, pension and job security, exactly like working for a ground contractor. 🤣🤣🤣 Unbelievable.
Really Einstein? Takes a real mental giant to figure out that federal employment once established will be far better than working for a Ground contractor. However as an entry level USPS employee you have to be willing and flexible resigned to the fact that it will take time to become established.

What is interesting is that Mr. Guitarman01 never mentioned anything about having to take the postal service exam or if he has veterans preference.

Commercial Inside Release

When they give the postal service exam at the shooting range, miss the target.
USPS only hires bad shots.
Wear coke bottle glasses like Bubbles, too.
That way, you have an established excuse for misdeliveries.

Guitarman01

Really Einstein? Takes a real mental giant to figure out that federal employment once established will be far better than working for a Ground contractor. However as an entry level USPS employee you have to be willing and flexible resigned to the fact that it will take time to become established.

What is interesting is that Mr. Guitarman01 never mentioned anything about having to take the postal service exam or if he has veterans preference.
I took an assessment test online, got an 80 something. It was a bunch of situational questions like what would you do what wouldn't you do? A lot of it kind of seemed like don't call your manager, handle it yourself. About the rest I have no clue. I accepted the offer and it said I will be hearing from someone soon. I have to submit a background check that includes 3 references, another close person that can vouch for me, all non family and all my previous bosses and their numbers from the past 5 years. I don't even want to do this part until I know more about the job, but it has to be done by tomorrow. I did find a contact number I'm going to try to call. I got no reply to an email. Already have a sense that you will be just a number even more so working for USPS.