What do people in the IE department do?

DS

Fenderbender
What do they do ? They look at google maps of your area.
They decide from space the most efficient way to deliver every stop.
They disregard the time of day,whether it's residential,industrial or commercial,
and generally have no clue as to how to efficiently do anything.
If they asked for driver input,they could effectively reduce costs,and reduce send agains.
Generally,they are overpaid geniuses that should be working at google earth.

NI3

So is it really hard to get into IE department?
I need to put in a request for informational interview.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I.E.

They produce Idiotic Excuses for the Impossible Expectations that occur when Insufficent Expenditures are applied towards Inadequate Equipment that is Incompetently Engineered.

curiousbrain

Few things in life are absolute, from any side.

Read Industrial engineering and Value engineering; then, read some of the driver horror stories, and talk to some of the drivers in your hub/center, or some of the drivers on here.

The point I am trying to make is that mathematical models are great for reducing cost in an absolute sense, but it is very difficult (as far as I can tell, anyway) to account for the constant decisions and unforeseeable circumstances that happen in the reality of life.

One might even want to read about Engineering economics and related topics, and consider them under the context of trying to model real world, hard-time logistics such as happens at UPS; specifically, approximate solutions to problems which cannot be solved exactly. The margin of error could be large or small, in either direction.

I would end by making the point (perhaps out of ignorance of how IE actually works, as I don't work there and never have) that, in the context of the economic system that, more often than not, puts profit first, if IE did not create value, no company would have an IE department; thus, it follows that IE does create value. It may, however, take a special kind of person who can discount the sacrifice required for that creation of value.

In the vein of follow the money, I say go for it; if you don't do it, someone else will and they will never give you a second thought.

soberups

All kidding aside, we need an IE department.

The underlying problem with our IE department is simple; it operates with a complete and total lack of any sort of accountability whatsoever.

There really is no movitation to properly make a bed that you will never have to lie in. People tend to do a much better job at something when they know that they will personally have to live with the consequences of whatever mistakes they make. When you are a UPS IE man, you are never wrong. You can never be second-guessed, and your measurements are never subject to any verification or correction. All mistakes that you make will automatically be blamed on the hourly employee who is out there in the real world actually doing the work that you have measured from within the safe confines of your cubicle.

thessalonian13

When I was speaking with management personnel about advancement opportunity that's there from working in the building, he mentioned a department called IE?

What are they and what do they do?
What are they? Answer: CLUELESS!!!!! What do they do? Answer: Screw everything up for us!!!

Just walk around every morning screaming at the other drivers that they don't have enough work and they better work faster than ever before, while at the same time not getting injured, causing accidents, or breaking the speed limit. You'll be promoted within a week.

onewithedd

Here's the latest from HQ Atlanta...

Google to pay UPS an Undisclosed amount (rumored to be in the millions) to have Google Street Cams mounted to the roofs of all package cars.

The UPS IE Department says "it is a win win for all of us". We will be able to watch our drivers every move, and Google will get street view of every dirt road in America.

And you wondered why those resi's you were doing in the dark are now in the 1000's

soberups

Just walk around every morning screaming at the other drivers that they don't have enough work and they better work faster than ever before, while at the same time not getting injured, causing accidents, or breaking the speed limit. You'll be promoted within a week.

Actually, those are the job functions of the Center Manager and on road Supervisor.

IE people generally avoid visiting operations centers. Centers are noisy and busy and crowded and they would run the risk of actually looking into the eyes of the people they are screwing over.

Floyd Gondolli

9:07pm to 9:14pm foreplay
9:15pm to 9:19pm prepare for sexual relations
9:20pm to 9:29pm have sexual relations
This is on tues. wed. thurs. mon. and fri. slightly vary.
Oh wait a minute, work related. They say you take your work home with you.

soberups

9:07pm to 9:14pm foreplay
9:15pm to 9:19pm prepare for sexual relations
9:20pm to 9:29pm have sexual relations
This is on tues. wed. thurs. mon. and fri. slightly vary.
Oh wait a minute, work related. They say you take your work home with you.

The standard IE allowance for a Driver Release is 26.5 seconds, not 9 minutes.