what do you all do on your lunch..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I take my break between 1600 and 1610 daily and then the first 15 minutes of my 45 minute lunch between 1610 and 1625--this time is spent at Dunkin Donuts where I have coffee and chat with a retired Marine who lives on the former Plattsburgh AFB. I then do a few pickups and finish the balance of my lunch between 1730 and 1800 at home as my condo is on my delivery route before making my last pickup (MBE) on the way back to the center. Some days I am asked to help out other drivers so this schedule is altered but this is my normal routine. I eat my lunch (usually 2 sandwiches, water/soda, apple/banana and cookies) as I am working. I actually prefer it this way as I find it hard to get back into high gear after I have stopped for 45 minutes and I have tailored my run so that I normally complete deliveries by 1430, start the first round of pickups at 1430 until 1600, and then as above.

Now, if I have something that I need to do (haircut/errands) I will alter this schedule accordingly. Our center manager doesn't care when we take out lunch/break just as long as we do take them and do record them in the DIAD.

Every once in a while I will ask for and receive permission to go Code 5 and skip my lunch and break so that I can get done early to get to a function that I need to be at. Those of us with kids can certainly understand this.

BTW, just to show you that they do indeed use GPS, my on-car called me on my cell and asked me to please cover a P/U after I was finished with my break at Dunkin Donuts. I asked him how he knew where I was and he just laughed.

Big Babooba

I take my break between 1600 and 1610 daily and then the first 15 minutes of my 45 minute lunch between 1610 and 1625--this time is spent at Dunkin Donuts where I have coffee and chat with a retired Marine who lives on the former Plattsburgh AFB..

My brother-in-law was stationed at PAFB for 10 years. He told me the story about the haunted barracks on the old base. Does your center still share the building with JC Penney? I always take the Military Turnpike on my way to Malone. It's beautiful country.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I take my lunch between the 3rd and 5th hour per the contract. All drivers should do this, then if routes have too many businesses to complete with the driver taking lunch when they should, they might be forced to put on another route thus another job for a teamster.

I always take a full hour to cool off in the ac read the paper and relax. Especially important when its 115 out.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Eat, sort, then stop by my home for a cup of coffee. Browse my email and with the last remaining 45 minutes of my "lunchtime" try and justify to my sups why I can't get all my deliveries off.
Just joking,(kinda)
Those text messages take a lot of time and the time is hard to justify when your time study has been reduced 2hrs a day.
You can trust me on this one though, I get paid for every minute I work.

satellite,

I hope you are joking or got stuck on stupid....

And you are a moderator of this site....

Thought I read you retired....

-BUG-

satellitedriver

satellite,

I hope you are joking or got stuck on stupid....

And you are a moderator of this site....

Thought I read you retired....

-BUG-
Just tired, Big,
not re-tired.
That comes Tuesday, after I go back to work after this weeks vacation.
I thought my sarcasm showed. I guess not.
I post as a poster, not a moderator.
I have my human flaws and step over the lines( no scab jokes, please) in my posts, sometimes.
I do stupid things, but, when it comes to my breaks and lunchtime, I take every second of them.
Conversely, when I work,I give my full attention to the job at hand.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Up until 2 years ago I lived on my route, and I would go home and have lunch. With my wife. While the kids were in school. And the house was empty. So the question for me is not "what" did I do, but "who"....:happy2:

McBrown

Slave To The Grind
Lunch break is so nice!! I usually stop at a park and lay on a bench under a shady tree. When I was covering for other drivers, I used to hope for a route close to the house where I could stop by for some AC, family, & Around The Horn/PTI.

I'm a believer in the whole take your break when you're supposed to. I heard, however, that if we were to take our paid 15 straight after our unpaid half, we could get a chat with the center manager and the Stew. Is that true? If not, I'm taking 45 consecutive everyday!

Bad Gas!

For years while I was in running shape I would job 4-6 miles on lunch break.I would usually take break at the end of the day.One time a Upper mgt reported me jogging at the track (seeing my truck parked) to my center manager...The center manager took up for be by saying "you want these guys to stay in shape don't you.He clocks out for the break"...It's rare to get a center manager to take up for you anymore.....Rest is for the weak!

filthpig

Up until 2 years ago I lived on my route, and I would go home and have lunch. With my wife. While the kids were in school. And the house was empty. So the question for me is not "what" did I do, but "who"....:happy2:

Hoo ha! I can relate to that scenario. I live on my route, so I go home for lunch every day. Saves me a ton of money. And yes, I too have left on many an occasion with a smile on my face and "dead legs.":happy2::happy2::happy2:

upsdude

15 minutes in the morning, 30 mid-day, and 15 near the end. I use the 10 minute break for potty stops.

My 30 minute break is usually taken at home. I'll spend the time eating (something lite) while I surf the net, BC (Not BC Fan). On the super hot days I'll hop in the shower and change into a fresh uniform.