what do you do as a drivers helper?

OG MIKE

well i finally got an appointment to go in for a tour this monday..the position i got chosen for is drivers helper..and i have no idea what they do on a day to day basis

Babagounj

Strength through joy
everything but drive the package car.
Wear some good solid shoes/boots already broken-in, because you will be doing a lot of walking.

OG MIKE

sounds good..and what about visable tattoos? i have one on my right fore arm..is it gonna be a problem?..i was planning to tell them that ill wear a long sleeve shirt all the time if i have to

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

sounds good..and what about visable tattoos? i have one on my right fore arm..is it gonna be a problem?..i was planning to tell them that ill wear a long sleeve shirt all the time if i have to

You will be issued a uniform and may be asked to wear a long sleeve shirt due to the tattoos. Your level of responsibility will depend upon the driver that you are with. Some drivers only let the helpers run off residential stops and do not let them touch the DIAD while others, like me, have trained their helpers to where I feel comfortable giving them commercial stops to deliver on their own. For example, I deliver to a medical complex with two high rises office buildings and I will do one while he does the other, saving a lot of time. The driver does have to put a minimum number of stops in to the helper board and it is not that hard to teach a new helper how to use the DIAD. All COD's stay in the driver's board. Wear sturdy shoes that have been broken in and show up on time and ready to work.

over9five

Staff member
Mike, it will help you a lot if those shoes are already broken in. You do not want to be out there in new shoes! Hopefully, you're in good shape cuz you won't be sitting much. Move, move, move! That's what you'll do.

Don't worry about your tat. They'll give you a helper pullover coat to wear, and once you're away from the center, well.... what happens onroad stays onroad!

Your generally with someone all day, and it'll be a fun job - IF you're in shape and like working hard! Good Luck!

bigbrownhen

Ugg, I am so not ready to think about using a helper already. Wasn't it just summer and 100 degrees last week???

Mike, good luck as a helper. One tip I can give you is to get back in that seat as quick and efficient as possible and learn to click that seat belt fast. Always use the hand rails getting in and out of the truck. WALK quickly to and from, I never want my helper to run. The driver is always thinking of the next several stops, when to stop and go to make pickups along with doing this without getting in an accident or hurt. That includes you.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Do what the driver tells you,don't question him/her on why they are doing it this way instead of THAT way !! Were long johns if you live in cold part of the country,you can allways take them off,but can't put em' on if you don't have them. Don't I repeat Don't ask the driver what he thinks is in the pkges,We don't care as long as they
disappear
!!! Good luck & listen to all the good advice these peopl give out on the B.C !!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If you have a choice, I would take an inside job over being a Driver Helper. Here, you are on call and work a minimum of hours, so you would probably work more on the inside. There have been days where I was told to let my Helper go after two hours, thats ridiculous.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
When I was a delivery driver, I was the brains, and the helper was the brawn. All I asked is that they did exactly what I told them to do- DRFD, DR SD, DRGAR, etc. Or go in the office, go thru the first door to the 1st office on the right, Doris will sign, don't look down her dress............

browntex

Welcome to UPS. In my area I meet my helper in a parking lot and they ride with me for around 3-5 hrs depending on load. You can be dropped off in a neighborhood with a hand cart, packages and you diad to do some delivering on your own or you can help by delivering with your driver from the car. It all depends on your area and how your driver likes to do it.

OG MIKE

haha! no ill definetly not ask them what he thinks are in the packages lmao! like a little kid..are we ther yet?! lol yah im DEFINETLY in great shape :) i guess i have a good chance getting the job...thats great news about the tattoo,i thought u guys were gonna say that i wasnt gonna get the job because of it....oh one more question guys...it said it was a seasonal job and that i was gonna be fired befor or on december 31...after i get fired i still want to work in ups..as a package handler or what ever...so i was planning while im working..to never show up late and do my job really good and try to make friends so i can tell them when they see a package handler job open up to call me...will this work? oh and on december 5th im gonna leave on a cruise ship vacation,i already payed for it so i can not get a refund..AT ALL,im only gonna be gone for 6 days and ill be back,so are they just gonna let me go then on dec 5th? or will i have a job when i get back...either way im gonna start from scrath if i have to..to get in ups again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Enjoy the cruise--they will find someone else to take your place. I should also mention that you can probably forget about any chance you may have had of being hired on after Peak.

OG MIKE

after peak? whats that...so when i get back im planning to apply online again...will i get hired? eventually.....or will they hate me and purposly not hire me cuz i left

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Peak is that time of year between Thanksgiving and Christmas when things get a bit hectic.

I will tell you this straight up--if you get hired as a helper and then go on that cruise you will never work at UPS again.

Bon voyage.

OG MIKE

oh ok..well i was planning on telling them a better excuse why im leaving :wink2: a lot better..you know what im saying...maybe a family medical emergency..trust me i regret paying for the cruise,its just that i got a really good price if i paid in ahead of time...i cant cancel it at all..ill just loose all of the money..so even if i make friend with the driver i work with and do my job very well,i wont have a chance of getting hired again? maybe not getting called back but if i do the whole web site thing all over again

haha! no ill definetly not ask them what he thinks are in the packages lmao! like a little kid..are we ther yet?! lol yah im DEFINETLY in great shape :) i guess i have a good chance getting the job...thats great news about the tattoo,i thought u guys were gonna say that i wasnt gonna get the job because of it....oh one more question guys...it said it was a seasonal job and that i was gonna be fired befor or on december 31...after i get fired i still want to work in ups..as a package handler or what ever...so i was planning while im working..to never show up late and do my job really good and try to make friends so i can tell them when they see a package handler job open up to call me...will this work? oh and on december 5th im gonna leave on a cruise ship vacation,i already payed for it so i can not get a refund..AT ALL,im only gonna be gone for 6 days and ill be back,so are they just gonna let me go then on dec 5th? or will i have a job when i get back...either way im gonna start from scrath if i have to..to get in ups again.
just call in and tell them your going on a cruise. Tell them the day you will be back and you will be ready to work. Being honest is the right thing to do and if it's meant to be it's meant to be.

OG MIKE

thanks steward..i was planning to tell them 2 weeks in advance....as long as they dont hate me lol so i can get hired eventually

Cementups

Box Monkey
OK, I'm a little more harsh when I meet my helpers for hte first time. I come straight out and tell them, "You are my b!tch for the next 2 months. If you don't like it, see you later." Most think I am joking but soon come to realize that I am totally serious. I actually had a helper once tell me that it wasn't fair that all I do is drive us around and he has to do everything else. He wanted his turn driving. don't you understand about "driver helper"?

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
your wasting your time,, you will work under 3 hrs a day and the day after xmas you will no longer be needed