What do you think of being Union?

onefallen1

Good evening UPSers,

I am an ISR and our site has had a bunch of meetings about the proposed Employee Free Choice Act legislation that could pass this year. Our particular site and positions are not unionized at this time. I would like to hear what other UPSers think about the Union so I have more than just managements perceived point of view.

Thanks

Channahon

An ISR is an inside Sales rep who services our existing customers, and follows up on Sales leads once they are sold.
I have been gone a couple of years, and please correct me if I am wrong.

To answer your question, onefallen1, read your administrative handbook, get a copy of the union contract, which is available on this site, and do a side by side comparison of benefits. That should give you some idea.

And I'm sure 705Red can answer your questions regarding the transition of non union to union employee status, in regards to company and center seniority.

browndevil

Good evening UPSers,

I am an ISR and our site has had a bunch of meetings about the proposed Employee Free Choice Act legislation that could pass this year. Our particular site and positions are not unionized at this time. I would like to hear what other UPSers think about the Union so I have more than just managements perceived point of view.

Thanks
I wouldn't work here if I wasn't union. For 65$ a month I get guaranteed raises, health coverage, dental and vision. a pension upon my retirement,7 weeks paid vacation at my 20th year of service. 9 sick days and representaion if I am being disciplined ( which I have never been) but you know there are some overzealous sups here that want to make a name for themselves so its good to have protection. You wouldn't go to court if you didn't have a lawyer, right?
Oh yea and I get to where shorts, the women love the shorts:happy2:

705red

Browncafe Steward
As a union employee, you have more rights than a non union employee. A union employee usually can only be terminated for just cause, while a non union employee is a at will employee and can be let go for just about anything.

As a union employee you would have a contract which spells out your rights as a union employee. It would spell out your vacations, sick time, medical benefits, pension, seniority, bidding rights, pay, pay raises etc.

If you are to be discipline as a union employee you are protected by ensuring a steward is in the room during these meetings. Basically no more favoritism towards one employee, all are to be treated equal.

What you need to do is ask yourself does this sound worth it?

Do i want to spend money to pay dues monthly?

I would ask you to calculate what you spend on your medical per month and compare it to what we pay monthly in dues. A driver at $28.90 pays $72 a month in dues.

But that covers everything, $5 prescriptions, free medical, pension, vision, dental and representation from the teamsters if needed, and trust me its used a lot!

Also remember who invited the teamsters in to ups!

705red

Browncafe Steward
By the way, when we get done ripping apart the sales lead program, you will probably need union representation!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
To answer your question, onefallen1, read your administrative handbook, get a copy of the union contract, which is available on this site, and do a side by side comparison of benefits. That should give you some idea.

And if possible get the list of compensation and benefits (including retirement) for each from ten years ago and see how they have changed over the last ten years. That will give you some idea of trends if trying to look into the future.

Last edited:

FAVREFAN

Good evening UPSers,

Thanks
Go union!

nice to see some pro union brothers ups would pay u 12.00 an hr w/ you paying for some of your hlth ins so having a union in a co of this magnitude is very important. if we were nt union i know i would nt put up w/ the b s they throw at us its also know as checks & balances for this co

I have a question, ive been workin in UPS for about a week now as a preloader, and I was wonderin how long does it take to get into the union. and what are some benefits?.

Braveheart

I know the union may not always get what we really want but I would never work for UPS without the Union. I was just told today that full time managers salaries are frozen with no raises until further notice. I was also told that they will not be getting their 401k matching funds either.

DHL is gone and we are still very profitable. If things really get scary I would forgo a raise or too. But for managers to lose out on money they had coming when we are still very, very profitable is wrong.

We are still getting our raises.

raceanoncr

I know the union may not always get what we really want but I would never work for UPS without the Union. I was just told today that full time managers salaries are frozen with no raises until further notice. I was also told that they will not be getting their 401k matching funds either.

An addition to this post, Brave, is that Non-Union people are also getting their 401K matches cut. Meaning? Example: UPSFreight that are not yet in...about 1% (according to UPS Teamster mag), had their match just cut. Hourlies and mileage drivers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Good evening UPSers,

Thanks

I'm making $23.47/hr and full benefits not utilizing any type of degree or skills (I do have a math degree and certifications for computers/network).

Plus, my job's not going anywhere, and even if it does I'm bumping someone that doesn't have the seniority I do.

Can it get any more clear cut and straightforward in this day and age? I realize things can change, but the union has been good to me for one~!

onefallen1

Thank you everyone for your advise and thoughts, I appreciate the honesty. I apologize for not stating that an ISR is an Inside Sales Rep. Our 401K's were cut on Monday and our stock discount was cut as well. I would rather have these cuts in benefits than for people to lose their jobs so I am okay with it.

I do hope that that we will have the option of going Union sometime in the near future but will have to wait and see.

Thanks,

onefallen1

UPSGUY72

I wouldn't work here if I wasn't union. For 65$ a month I get guaranteed raises, health coverage, dental and vision. a pension upon my retirement,7 weeks paid vacation at my 20th year of service. 9 sick days and representaion if I am being disciplined ( which I have never been) but you know there are some overzealous sups here that want to make a name for themselves so its good to have protection. You wouldn't go to court if you didn't have a lawyer, right?
Oh yea and I get to where shorts, the women love the shorts:happy2:

I couldn't have said it better