What does CAL Meal mean on paycheck?

PizzaToUps

I have noticed something titled CAL MEAL underneath the hours worked section of my pay check and it’s about $30. Does anyone know what this could be about? I also get something called legal SV and it’s about $14 a paycheck. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

Mst3k

The company legally has to pay you a penalty that equals a hour pay whenever they fail to provide you with a timely break or lunch. The maximum number of penalties you are entitled to is two a day, one for a lunch and one for a break. If you work a twelve hour shift and they force you to skip your lunches and take your breaks at you end then you are still only legally entitled to 2 penalties.

That said, I have never seen the company willingly pay a cal meal penalty for a break violation and you would likely have to file a complaint with the california department of labor if you want that resolved.

542thruNthru

I have noticed something titled CAL MEAL underneath the hours worked section of my pay check and it’s about $30. Does anyone know what this could be about? I also get something called legal SV and it’s about $14 a paycheck. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

I'm guessing your PT and working over 6 hours a day. California law says they have to give you a 30 min lunch. When you don't take it they have to pay you that 30 min.

Legal SV is the free legal services we get in the West. I don't really understand why we get money every so often from it. I've been told different reason but don't know for sure.

BlackCat

I'm guessing your PT and working over 6 hours a day. California law says they have to give you a 30 min lunch. When you don't take it they have to pay you that 30 min.

Legal SV is the free legal services we get in the West. I don't really understand why we get money every so often from it. I've been told different reason but don't know for sure.
I thought the legal services was subtracted right after being added.

I admittedly haven’t looked at a pay stub in a while so I am probably wrong.

247spies

You failed to take your lunch or enough of your lunch, so the company just pays you for it. It happens Ive gotten it as well. Im in California.

Fallinggator

If you work a twelve hour shift and they force you to skip your lunches and take your breaks at you end then you are still only legally entitled to 2 penalties.

Rest breaks under California labor law are required for non-exempt employees who work three and a half (3 1/2) or more hours in a day. Employees are entitled to ten (10) minutes of rest period for each four (4) hours, or a substantial fraction thereof, that they work in a day. Under California wage and hour law, non-exempt employees must receive a thirty (30) minute lunch or meal break if they work more than five (5) hours in a day. The meal break must be provided within the first 5 hours of the workday. Employees who work more than ten (10) hours in a day are entitled to a second 30-minute meal break.

I don't know if that still means only 1 penalty hour for lunches and 1 for breaks, or if you should be eligible for up to 3??

Last edited: