Back Up Shifter Job

IntegrityIssue909

Got offered a full time-back up shifter gig at one of my local hubs. I’m already a package a driver but I know shifters make around the same top rate. I have many questions about this position
1. What’s the starting shifter pay?
2. What are the hours like?
3. If it’s on call does that mean I’ll be back working in the warehouse in the meantime?
4. Does my pay rate reset since im promoting down from a 0300 to shifter?
5. What are the perks of shifting and how difficult is it to learn?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thebrownblob

Got offered a full time-back up shifter gig at one of my local hubs. I’m already a package a driver but I know shifters make around the same top rate. I have many questions about this position
3. If it’s on call does that mean I’ll be back working in the warehouse in the meantime?
Full time back up? On call? Sounds like a crap job. I would tell them to take their offer and shove it as if I was already regular package car driver.

finaddict

In our contract shifting is done by feeder drivers. That's a dime over pkg top pay. Hubs shift around the clock and its a simple job. Some locations the shifter is a PT job at lower pay rate. You need to talk to a feeder or shifter at that Hub or at least under the same contract, they vary greatly. Also, since at my location the shifter is a qualified feeder driver, when a quick local run, pick up or exchange point pops up the senior shifter can take it to go down the road.

ManInBrown

Perks of shifting? None. It’s the absolute worst gig in feeders IMO. Most shifters here are older drivers that don’t want to go on the road anymore, or drivers who aren’t confident and don’t really like going on the road. I did package, if they to,d me tomorrow I had to be a shifter for the rest of my career, or I could go back to package and get my old route back it wouldn’t even take me a second to decide. I’d be back in package.

The great thing about feeders is you are left alone and allowed to be a grown up unlike package. You leave the yard and go do your job whatever it may be. When you’re a shifter you’re under their thumb. I covered shift jobs early on when I first got to feeders. I’ve never been more miserable in my life. I’d happily take a bricked out ten cube at peak over shifting.