What Does ORION Stand For?

upsgrunt

We don't have it yet. I run about 220 miles a day and I pull pkgs from almost every shelf as I'm cruising along chasing air commits and pickups. It will either be a complete cluster or roughly what I do now, pick off stops I'm close to and save ones I'll be closer to later.

You have the same kind of route I do. Just wait- it will have you drive right by 2 stops, 50 yards from each other, on the same road, in the country, only to go back 3 hours later, from 8 or 10 miles away. It had me make 3 trips to the south end of my 800 square mile area- 3 times. Don't know why; don't care. Who am I to question the great and powerful Oz?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
You have the same kind of route I do. Just wait- it will have you drive right by 2 stops, 50 yards from each other, on the same road, in the country, only to go back 3 hours later, from 8 or 10 miles away. It had me make 3 trips to the south end of my 800 square mile area- 3 times. Don't know why; don't care. Who am I to question the great and powerful Oz?
Can't wait. I anticipate a 300 mile route.

ArcherUTR

I think he means either following it 100% or shutting it off and using common sense and area knowledge. This would not result in a true 0% compliance metric, however...when I turn mine off I usually wind up being between 40% and 70% compliant.

If I did ignore ORION I would probably run 85%, but I'm kind of fortunate that I run a service road route then resis.

However, sometimes the genius ORION decides I should run my resis backwards to keep me closer to the top of my route in order to be closer to the pickups that no longer exist because they are smart pickups and usually drop out of my board.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

However, sometimes the genius ORION decides I should run my resis backwards to keep me closer to the top of my route in order to be closer to the pickups that no longer exist because they are smart pickups and usually drop out of my board.

This is where Orion v.02 will come in to play. This version updates throughout the day so when the smart pickups drop out of your board your EDD will be updated and you will run your resis is a more logical order.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
We don't have it yet. I run about 220 miles a day and I pull pkgs from almost every shelf as I'm cruising along chasing air commits and pickups. It will either be a complete cluster or roughly what I do now, pick off stops I'm close to and save ones I'll be closer to later.
That's what I do except I run 55 to 65 miles without Orion but will have it next week . I think it is a cluster and to cram something that doesn't work at all down our throats is gonna cause major problems with the service and guess what FedEx will eat us alive and people will use the post office more often . Maybe someone upstairs is purposely sabotaging the system for a higher personal goal. There has to be a cause from all this unless you have the same stops everyday this was a waste of 25 million.

ArcherUTR

ORION is either right, or it isn't.

If it is not right and requires that I use my better judgments to use 'breaks' in order to keep my mileage low by fixing some aspects that are useless or even worse wasteful...

Then that was kinda my job before ORION [/sarcasm]

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's what I do except I run 55 to 65 miles without Orion but will have it next week . I think it is a cluster and to cram something that doesn't work at all down our throats is gonna cause major problems with the service and guess what FedEx will eat us alive and people will use the post office more often . Maybe someone upstairs is purposely sabotaging the system for a higher personal goal. There has to be a cause from all this unless you have the same stops everyday this was a waste of 25 million.

FedEx has their own version (ROADS/DRA) and are having the same problems with their system as we are having with ours.

upsbeernut

ORION is either right, or it isn't.

If it is not right and requires that I use my better judgments to use 'breaks' in order to keep my mileage low by fixing some aspects that are useless or even worse wasteful...

Then that was kinda my job before ORION [/sarcasm]
What's next pay for our own gas?

upsbeernut

FedEx has their own version (ROADS/DRA) and are having the same problems with their system as we are having with ours.
That's right I forgot about that the air driver on my route with his air conditioned vehicle said he's spread quite a distance between stops. I wonder what happened to the little half day routes that helped us out tremendously . Why not look into a different design of vehicle, these hybrids we have turned out to be a piece of crap which was probably a another way to look good for the public eye environmentally speaking.

upsbeernut

I was given a new pkg car last week and was surprised that it ran on gas, not diesel. It does get better fuel mileage than my diesel PC.
I thought diesel cost more than regular gas, well tier a little late on try since most of us have diesels. I have luckily kept my freightliner 700 since brand new and hopefully they won'tchange it. This freightliner in my opinion is one of the easiest package cars to drive.

upsbeernut

Reality and common sense need to kick in soon or all of us will not retire with a nice pension monthly payout. Computer knowledge doesn't hold a candle to the drivers experience. Its like the Flintstones meet the jetsons.