What happens after TAW?

No one. Once your TAW runs out, then you will go out on worker's comp. UPS will exhaust their TAW option before anything else, hoping you get better so they don't have to do comp.

So I make no calls to anyone and just sit home? There has to be more to it than that? I thought I would need to call some number to get workers comp started or at least cover myself for being gone.

DriverNerd

So I make no calls to anyone and just sit home? There has to be more to it than that? I thought I would need to call some number to get workers comp started or at least cover myself for being gone.
If you are on TAW you should be going to work and getting paid your hourly wage. You should be checking in with the doctor you have been seeing on their schedule. If the doctor does not clear you to return to work and you run out of TAW UPS will then transition you to worker's comp.

If you are on TAW you should be going to work and getting paid your hourly wage. You should be checking in with the doctor you have been seeing on their schedule. If the doctor does not clear you to return to work and you run out of TAW UPS will then transition you to worker's comp.

Ah okay. Thanks guy

DriverNerd

Just to clarify. TAW is temporary alternative work aka light duty. You should be doing light duty work (which can be anything that shouldn't hurt your existing injury) and you should receive your regular pay rate for your hours. You are still guaranteed your daily hours under TAW. This is regular income earned, you will be paid from UPS for the hours and pay taxes on that pay. If you go on worker's compensation, you make a percentage of your normal income, that is paid from liberty mutual. You do not have to pay taxes on worker's compensation income.

barnyard

KTM rider
They will attend every doctors appointment with you and can even be pushy enough to try and come in the doctors room with you... There job is to get you off workman’s comp so I highly recommend you do not let them accompany you in the doctors room, they will take notes and may try and use info against you.
That depends on the state. In my state, my comp caseworker worked as my advocate and she did it at no cost to me. My treating physician said that I needed surgery, company doc fought it, she pushed back and it was done. After that, everything the doctor prescribed was done. She went in with most of my appointments and read all of the notes. She also asked questions that I would not have thought to ask. I sent her Christmas cards for several years after my case was complete. She made a solid difference.

Just to clarify. TAW is temporary alternative work aka light duty. You should be doing light duty work (which can be anything that shouldn't hurt your existing injury) and you should receive your regular pay rate for your hours. You are still guaranteed your daily hours under TAW. This is regular income earned, you will be paid from UPS for the hours and pay taxes on that pay. If you go on worker's compensation, you make a percentage of your normal income, that is paid from liberty mutual. You do not have to pay taxes on worker's compensation income.

Great info. So does my personal insurance to see my own doctor run out once I'm on workman's comp? I'm going to be asking my steward a few more questions about seeing another doctor because my GP would have already gotten me an x-ray or something definitive done by now as I think the real culprit is a herniated disc pushing on my sciatic nerve. From what I've read there is usually some sort of underlying cause there with sciatica

That depends on the state. In my state, my comp caseworker worked as my advocate and she did it at no cost to me. My treating physician said that I needed surgery, company doc fought it, she pushed back and it was done. After that, everything the doctor prescribed was done. She went in with most of my appointments and read all of the notes. She also asked questions that I would not have thought to ask. I sent her Christmas cards for several years after my case was complete. She made a solid difference.

So is this comp caseworker employed by the company, state or liberty mutual? I'm from South Georgia

DriverNerd

Great info. So does my personal insurance to see my own doctor run out once I'm on workman's comp? I'm going to be asking my steward a few more questions about seeing another doctor because my GP would have already gotten me an x-ray or something definitive done by now as I think the real culprit is a herniated disc pushing on my sciatic nerve. From what I've read there is usually some sort of underlying cause there with sciatica
No it does not. You still have insurance for anything not related to your injury and still covers your family. Your injury and all doctor visits/therapy/surgery related to it are covered by workers comp.

ironclad

So is this comp caseworker employed by the company, state or liberty mutual? I'm from South Georgia
The role of the nurse case manager is to monitor your care and report back to the insurance adjuster. Many times, there may be underlying pressure on the doctor to force an injured worker back to work too quickly or to suggest cheaper medical treatment as opposed to what a physician may truly want to do. Never forget who is paying the nurse case manager and that they have an agenda to save the insurance company money. Many times, a nurse case manager can convince a doctor to release an injured worker back to work even if the doctor had not originally intended to do so. Other times, they may recommend to the insurance company to deny the recommended treatment because, in their opinion, they don’t feel that it’s necessary. Although there are some good nurse case managers out there with a genuine desire to help, many times it appears they are more interested in helping the carrier and employer. I do agree there are some good ones out there, but would exercise your right to a private examination with your primary physician and then have the nurse case manager come in at the end for a recap of the appointment, where they can still voice there questions and concerns.

Last edited:

mikestuh

Im in California on worker comp right now. My advice is to ask your liberty mutual adjuster for a second opinion because your doctor sounds like a jackass. I mostly speak to the adjuster and don't really talk to the UPS nurse a whole lot. The doctor they provided me was just like yours. He would spend 30 seconds with me and just order more PT until he tried to fully release me saying that I was healed even though I wasn't. I asked my adjuster for a second opinion and transfer of care. I got to choose my new doctor and now i'm finally gonna get surgery next week. I hope this info helps and good luck with your case.

JustDeliverIt

I was on worker's comp last year. My supervisor picked me up from the road and took me to thier doctor where I was told it was nothing more than a bad sprain and cleared me to go back to work with no restrictions. I couldn't lift my arm more that two inches away from my side. As soon as I got a worker's comp number, which they must give to you, I called my own orthopedist and saw them later that day. My arm was broke and was pulled out of work immediately.

Moral of the story, the company doctors work for the company. Talk to a lawyer or simply google your states comp laws since they do vary by state. My state allows your own doctor to take over care after the company doctor takes a look at you but of course they aren't going to tell you that. And do it soon before day 29.