What happens if I go over 14 hours?

govols019

You smell that?
You gotta remember you still can't work over 8 hours without 30 minutes off duty though

If I've taken my full meal already and I get that red screen that says I must take another 30, I just laugh and roll on....if I'm pushing 16 there's no way I'm stopping.

Nobody has ever said anything to me about it.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
I know that when we were slammed last summer, guys quitting left and right, a lot of the older drivers were parking well into he night on Fridays....as long as they didn’t go off property, APPARENTLY it was fine to go over 14 hours...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Interesting. I didn’t know about the 16 hour exception rule.

So it says a 5 day pattern. Does that mean it can only be used on the 5th 6th or 7th day?
It's meant to be used for unforeseen circumstances, like weather related or an accident that shuts down a highway that literally prevent you from getting off the road in under 14. It can't be used just give you 2 more hours of work.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It's meant to be used for unforeseen circumstances, like weather related or an accident that shuts down a highway that literally prevent you from getting off the road in under 14. It can't be used just give you 2 more hours of work.
Not necessarily.
There's two different 2 hour exception rules.

The adverse conditions exception extends the 11 hour drive time to 13 for inclement weather or things like accidents.

The short haul exception extends the 14 hour on duty time to 16 hours for general delays, like a late train which is what it's usually used for here.

You can't use both of these exceptions on the same day.

over9five

Staff member
Not necessarily.
There's two different 2 hour exception rules.

The adverse conditions exception extends the 11 hour drive time to 13 for inclement weather or things like accidents.

The short haul exception extends the 14 hour on duty time to 16 hours for general delays, like a late train which is what it's usually used for here.

You can't use both of these exceptions on the same day.
Yup, you can get a good explanation here:
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/docs/Drivers_Guide_to_HOS_2016.pdf

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I know that when we were slammed last summer, guys quitting left and right, a lot of the older drivers were parking well into he night on Fridays....as long as they didn’t go off property, APPARENTLY it was fine to go over 14 hours...
still have to log it . when i was hauling tomatoes we practically worked around the clock. go until you pass out 7 days a week because of the 100 air mile agriculture rule. not sure if that is still the way it is.this was back in 80"s.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
How would you have suggested they prepare for a once in a lifetime pandemic with unprecedented Federal bailouts?
They could prepare by not running a skeleton crew year round. Peak wouldnt be so bad, along with emergencies like this.
But I'm sure your "former center" was staffed wonderfully so you didnt have these problems.

badpal

How would you have suggested they prepare for a once in a lifetime pandemic with unprecedented Federal bailouts?

You might want to get ready----Pelosi is calling for a second round of stimulus checks, along with a $10B bailout for the Post Office and talk of forgiving all of their debt.
The way some people are ordering junk , they prolly consider this pandemic a blessing.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You might want to get ready----Pelosi is calling for a second round of stimulus checks, along with a $10B bailout for the Post Office and talk of forgiving all of their debt.
After 2 months of it with no end in sight I’d probably consider at least attempting to make some adjustments.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They could prepare by not running a skeleton crew year round. Peak wouldnt be so bad, along with emergencies like this.
But I'm sure your "former center" was staffed wonderfully so you didnt have these problems.

I spoke with my former center manager during this past Peak and he told me that they were fully staffed with 60 routes on road. They had never run anywhere near 60 routes when I was there.