What happens?

fethrs

If it's not an emergency I think at my hub you would get fired straight out. No warning letter, or suspensions.

Theichii

No, I learned not to trust anyone today. My family is planning a vacation to HI next year and I asked the first seniority person to "hold" a vacation week for me. Well he did and another person asked him why he had that week and he told them he was holding it for me. So the guy who wanted it started a big fuss and got the week. I had plans to propose and everything, so i'm wondering what would happen if i took a little unpaid vacation. I could get a "doctor's excuse" from my uncle. But was wondering how severe the discipline could get.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, I learned not to trust anyone today. My family is planning a vacation to HI next year and I asked the first seniority person to "hold" a vacation week for me. Well he did and another person asked him why he had that week and he told them he was holding it for me. So the guy who wanted it started a big fuss and got the week. I had plans to propose and everything, so i'm wondering what would happen if i took a little unpaid vacation. I could get a "doctor's excuse" from my uncle. But was wondering how severe the discipline could get.

Why don't you simply ask for a Friday and the following Monday off and take a 4 day mini vacation a bit closer to home?

evilleace

With all the layoffs depending on what time of the yr it is they might let you off, or see if anyone who has that week would switch with you.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Maybe your not being able to get off that week is a red flag warning about your pending proposal. Take my advice, proceed with caution.

Why don't you simply ask for a Friday and the following Monday off and take a 4 day mini vacation a bit closer to home?
Um, let's see, HI or home? Decisions, decisions.:sad-little:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If you call in sick for 5 days they may or may not make you get a release from your doctor before you can go back to work. If you call in sick to work and you are caught out doing something you shouldn't be doing you can be fired for dishonesty.

Theichii

If you call in sick for 5 days they may or may not make you get a release from your doctor before you can go back to work. If you call in sick to work and you are caught out doing something you shouldn't be doing you can be fired for dishonesty.

would they really catch me in Hawaii? I live in Louisiana

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Why would you subject your family to the possibility of you losing your income? Vacations go by quick, job hunting in this economy lasts forever.

If you do decide to go, make sure you check out the North Shore of Oahu. This is peak surfing season and the waves are monstrous.

Dagoof

Here if you call in 3days or more you just have to have a doctors note. Sign up for mon- wed off With floaters then call in sick on Thurs Fri

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Multiple days called in a row are counted as one occurance, as long as you have not exceded 3 attendance occurances in a ninety(90) day period there should be no discipline. They probably would ask for a release from a doctor to come back to work with no restrictions if your gone more than three(3) days in a row. If there is a weekend anywhere in between those days it would be a new occurance.

If you are off all five(5) days in a week there will be no insurance for that week, so you better not really get sick or hurt!! Unless you have the option of splitting your option week into single days and still have some availabe. Those days are used for the first five(5) days of work missed, wether you ask for them or not, in which case you would still receive the health and welfare and pension contributions on you behalf.

Please be aware that I am speaking from the Central Region, some supplements are different, However I am pretty sure all of UPS uses the same policy on consecutive days called in.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
would they really catch me in Hawaii? I live in Louisiana

When you call in, you do not have to tell them what is wrong with you. It is part of the new privacy laws that they cannot ask. You only need to tell them you are not available.

chopstic

If you do call in... and I'm not saying you should... just remember you are not obligated to explain to management why you are taking a sick day, your only required to tell them that you are taking one. Dont embellish on an elaborate excuse as to why you are not coming in. That will only give them more opportunity to prove you dishonest. In fact, I would just leave a very short voicemail if possible.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Your only way out is to talk with your management and be honest. Ask them if you can take it off unpaid or offer to work one of your vacation weeks in exchange for the swap.

What are you going to do? Call from Hawaii every morning to call out sick.

tarbar66

Your only way out is to talk with your management and be honest. Ask them if you can take it off unpaid or offer to work one of your vacation weeks in exchange for the swap.

What are you going to do? Call from Hawaii every morning to call out sick.

You are absolutely right about talking with management and be honest about what you would like to do.

My on car sup friend told me that the staffing schedule was usually planned for at least 1 person on Comp, 1 on disability, the number of scheduled vacations, at least 1 call off and 2 personal days. Is this the way the schedule is still done?

over9five

Staff member
You are absolutely right about talking with management and be honest about what you would like to do.

My on car sup friend told me that the staffing schedule was usually planned for at least 1 person on Comp, 1 on disability, the number of scheduled vacations, at least 1 call off and 2 personal days. Is this the way the schedule is still done?

ha......haha.....HaHaHa.....HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

D

Dis-organized Labor

It's a bad idea to be dishonest about this. Why didn't you lock in your vacation first and plan the vacation after?

rod

Retired 22 years
The word is already out that you need that week off and the reason why. At most any other company management would do everything possible to accomodate you but you are dealing with UPS here so my advise would be don't risk your job. :dissapointed: The "small world" comment is right on. I ran into a neighbor in Hawaii that I had no idea was going to be there. If you do go ahead with your plan to just call in don't put an announcement in the local paper saying you were engaged in Hawaii on such and such date.:wink2: