What If You Don't Really Own Your Car And Never Can?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I have changed out alternators, water pumps, changed belts and hoses, thermostat(old model vehicle), all rather easy and saved me $100's each time. Plus it gives me the satisfaction of doing it. Some people like doing it, some don't, it should be the owners choice.

+1 on the owner's choice. If that owner is skilled enough to delve into the internal engine or transmission or electrical components, it should be allowed. Granted if they do something and screw up the dealerships manufacturers should void the warranty or at least not honor it. Last time I took any of my cars to a dealership was to get a special coded key.

rod

Retired 22 years
Last time I took my pickup to the dealer was because the check engine light would come on for a day or two and then go off. After it did that a few dozen times I took it in. I was under they assumption that if they hooked up their computer monitor to it it would tell them what was wrong----not so. All they could tell me was that they "thought" it might be a certain sensor but it would cost me 3 to 4 hundred dollars to replace it and that "might not be the problem". I played chase the check engine light on a VW one time to the tune of about $2,500 and swore I would never do that again. If they can't tell me what is exactly wrong forget about it. The truck runs fine so I will live will that light coming on about once a month now for a couple of days.

oldngray

nowhere special
Last time I took my pickup to the dealer was because the check engine light would come on for a day or two and then go off. After it did that a few dozen times I took it in. I was under they assumption that if they hooked up their computer monitor to it it would tell them what was wrong----not so. All they could tell me was that they "thought" it might be a certain sensor but it would cost me 3 to 4 hundred dollars to replace it and that "might not be the problem". I played chase the check engine light on a VW one time to the tune of about $2,500 and swore I would never do that again. If they can't tell me what is exactly wrong forget about it. The truck runs fine so I will live will that light coming on about once a month now for a couple of days.

Those codes can only tell you what is wrong if it occurs when being tested so not much good for intermittent problems. It may be just be something as simple as a bad sensor. Newer cars seem to have problems with check engine light warning because frequently its nothing serious. For a few dollars you can get a reader and plug into the port (should be near steering wheel) to see what is wrong, and you can also reset it so the light goes off.

rod

Retired 22 years
Those codes can only tell you what is wrong if it occurs when being tested so not much good for intermittent problems. It may be just be something as simple as a bad sensor. Newer cars seem to have problems with check engine light warning because frequently its nothing serious. For a few dollars you can get a reader and plug into the port (should be near steering wheel) to see what is wrong, and you can also reset it so the light goes off.

The light was on when I took it in but they wouldn't give me a 100% guarantee what the fix was. Like I said --I'm not playing the chase the check engine light game again as long as the truck runs fine.

oldngray

nowhere special
The light was on when I took it in but they wouldn't give me a 100% guarantee what the fix was. Like I said --I'm not playing the chase the check engine light game again as long as the truck runs fine.

It can't isolate the exact problem so could be $20 part or a couple of thousand. And it would be trial and error to try to figure out the exact cause so as long as it is running OK, just ignore the idiot light.

rod

Retired 22 years
It can't isolate the exact problem so could be $20 part or a couple of thousand. And it would be trial and error to try to figure out the exact cause so as long as it is running OK, just ignore the idiot light.

Our old mechanic at UPS used to cover those lights up with black tape.

trickpony1

It might be easier to wait until whatever is causing the light to come on completely fails. Then they will be able to find it.

I had a 1988 chevy that had a crankshaft sensor that was going bad but they couldn't tell me that until it completely failed. I had to have it towed to the chevy place to get it fixed.

oldngray

nowhere special
It might be easier to wait until whatever is causing the light to come on completely fails. Then they will be able to find it.

I had a 1988 chevy that had a crankshaft sensor that was going bad but they couldn't tell me that until it completely failed. I had to have it towed to the chevy place to get it fixed.

I had an 86 Buick that had crank sensor fail. No warning, then the car was completely dead. It had to be towed to a dealer to be tested on their equipment. It was just a $17 dollar part but killed the car until fixed. It was considered part of emission controls so everything including the tow was free. I was just stuck without a car for a couple of days.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Oil changes, tire rotations, wiper blades, light bulbs (not headlights).

What about fuses, spark plugs, replacing the battery?

What about fixing a window regulator or a broken door handle?

I would prefer the driver tailgating me had a certified mechanic change their brakes.

Why? I admit drum brakes are a pain, but replacing brake pads on disc brakes is about as simple and fool-proof as any job on a car.

Not everybody leases a new car every 2 or 3 years, possibly with maintenance included, and certainly traded before the warranty expires.

upsgrunt

I swear the markup on brake jobs is worse than furniture.
For less than $50 and a couple hours, I can change the pads and shoes on both axles, and a dealership would get 3 or 4 hundred.
My daughter has a Honda Accord that I could NOT get the front rotors off for the life of me. I watched through the window at the mechanics when I took it in, and I was convinced that I NEVER would have gotten them off. They brought out the biggest slide hammer I have ever seen. I'm not afraid to wave the white flag when I'm over my head.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Now the real problem is what happens when the vehicle is 10yrs or older . Can the car makers still claim that only their mechanics have the sole rights to play with their software on your car ?
I have a highlander (02) that ever time the check engine lift goes off the VSC lights up too . My mechanics all tell me to see Toyota to clear it ( $100 ) because only Toyota can do it . You know what happen after they clear the code , I get a grinding noise from my brakes and a flashing vehicle slipping light on and off for the next few months .

BrownArmy

My daily driver is an '87 Toyota.

If the 'check engine' light comes on, the diagnostic for this vehicle involves shorting the +/- contacts in a barrel-connector located by the air filter. I made a 'tool' for this, but a paperclip works just as well.

Once in 'diagnostic' mode, the CEL will blink in morse-code fashion, relaying any and all potential codes. If the ECU is throwing more than one code, it might take a few minutes to decipher the message.

Necessity is the mother of invention, so, I've learned how to do anything and everything on this vehicle, with the exception of bodywork and/or welding.

With all that in mind, if/when my wife gets a new Camry, Toyota won't allow me to change the brakes? Replace a caliper? Replace a timing-belt after 100 grand (and all that involves)?

Chicanery.

clean hairy

Buy a car from the 60's.
No electronics, simple diagnostics.
If the engine makes a loud CLICk and does not crank, starter solenoid or battery. Cranks but does not start, ignition points, or choke is stuck closed, or outta gas.
Tons of access under the hood to work on the engine, in fact, a 66 Impala with a 283 depending on your size, you could CLIMB into the engine compartment to get at parts requiring work.
Tweak the Carb adjusting screws for max fuel economy.
Replace the 3 speed Automotic Trans with a 4 speed Auto Trans. (back in the day, a 72 Monte Carlo with a 350-2 barrell) got 25 on the highway with a 3 speed, wonder what it would get with a 4 speed and lower revs at 75MPH?
(Man, you can tell I am OLD!)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What about fuses, spark plugs, replacing the battery?

What about fixing a window regulator or a broken door handle?

Why? I admit drum brakes are a pain, but replacing brake pads on disc brakes is about as simple and fool-proof as any job on a car.

Not everybody leases a new car every 2 or 3 years, possibly with maintenance included, and certainly traded before the warranty expires.

I am sure that this comes as no surprise but I am not a "car guy". When I was still living at home and there was something wrong with the car I would toss the keys to my older brother and tell him what kind of noise it was making. He would toss the keys back after a few hours and the noise would be gone.

I lease every 3 years so I don't have to worry about any of the things that you listed above.

I put gas in it, refill the washer fluid, get the oil changed and the tires rotated, as scheduled, and run it through the car wash and vacuum, as needed. Beyond that, I make an appointment and pull out my checkbook when they are done.

Keep in mind that I live in a condo complex where playing Mr. Car Guy is frowned upon but even if I still owned a house I wouldn't do anything more than the basics myself.

Atomic_Smurf

Without property rights we are no more than slaves to govt. Progressives are in bed with these corporations working against our freedoms. No different than when the insurance companies announced their support of the ACA.