What is a “casual” driver?

Zowert

Casuals and cover drivers are pretty much the same----the major difference is bid cover drivers will work before all other cover/casual drivers. Bid cover drivers do not have their own routes but work pretty much every day and are guaranteed 8 hours whenever they are put on road.

I started out as an off the street casual driver and had my FT seniority in less than a year. It is a great way to learn a lot of routes.
Ah that makes more sense. I thought a “bid cover driver” was a driver who has a training route. So when there’s a trainee on his/her route they become a cover; guaranteed 8 hours regardless if they are doing their route or not. Seems like it would be a nice deal since you’re guaranteed work, training routes are typically easy and you get a change of scenery when your route is occupied by a probie.

watdaflock?

I applied and got a package delivery driver position but didn’t start yet, still in intergrad.

I looked at my application and realized it was changed to “casual delivery driver” with no job description. I haven’t been able to find a post anywhere that explains what that actually is though.

Can anybody explain what that position actually is?
It means you'll be casually kicked to the door after 12/25.

ManInBrown

I applied and got a package delivery driver position but didn’t start yet, still in intergrad.

I looked at my application and realized it was changed to “casual delivery driver” with no job description. I haven’t been able to find a post anywhere that explains what that actually is though.

It means you have two legs, two arms, and a pulse. You will be used accordingly.

Ah that makes more sense. I thought a “bid cover driver” was a driver who has a training route. So when there’s a trainee on his/her route they become a cover; guaranteed 8 hours regardless if they are doing their route or not. Seems like it would be a nice deal since you’re guaranteed work, training routes are typically easy and you get a change of scenery when your route is occupied by a probie.
Our bid coverage drivers choose which route they want to run for the week or the day. They bid the job. Cover drivers are assigned routes by seniority and area knowledge. They are all FT drivers. The only PT drivers we have are air drivers who may fill in when necessary at top driver rate.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD

casual means seasonal
🧔✊