What is more important to UPS management???

What is more important to UPS management,
drivers safety and well-being or the delivery of packages?
In other words, if there was a situation where a package-car driver's life could be in jeopardy, would management be more inclined to worry about parcels being delivered over the driver?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I would like to think so and most would but I am sure there are a few who would want the cardboard delivered.

Agree evil.

It always comes down to the individual who happens to be in a management position.

Judgment is a hard thing to teach in classes or books. And it is judgment that we are talking aboout here.
I would certainly hope there is no management person who wold put cardboard above another person's safety intentionally.

This usually comes up when "Monday morning quarterbacks" question a decision when all the facts and conditions and consequences are known.
Upper level management is even more guilty of this than the union employees by the way.

ups767mech

Agree evil.

It always comes down to the individual who happens to be in a management position.

Judgment is a hard thing to teach in classes or books. And it is judgment that we are talking aboout here.
I would certainly hope there is no management person who wold put cardboard above another person's safety intentionally.

This usually comes up when "Monday morning quarterbacks" question a decision when all the facts and conditions and consequences are known.
Upper level management is even more guilty of this than the union employees by the way.

Happens almost everyday in Aircraft maintenance when a sup or manager "pencil whips" a pilot write up in order to make the plane fly.

Yes Hoaxster I agree! But I am talking about when a driver expresses to management that there is a substantial risk because of a faulty package-car
and they dismiss your concern. Later on it is confirmed that the condition of the truck was such that it could have caused death to the driver/helper and or the general public.

over9five

Staff member
A question like that makes me think of a blizzard several years ago, where they wouldn't let us bring it in. Couldn't see a thing, the snow was coming down so hard. I didn't dare stop my package car, because if I had stopped, I never would have gotten going again. For hours I just drove around and around the main streets on my route.

The shop steward quit the "safety committee" because of this, one of the most reckless, unsafe decisions I've seen the company make.

raceanoncr

Yes Hoaxster I agree! But I am talking about when a driver expresses to management that there is a substantial risk because of a faulty package-car
and they dismiss your concern. Later on it is confirmed that the condition of the truck was such that it could have caused death to the driver/helper and or the general public.

The DOT has a hotline to call to report instances where you are forced to take equipment that is deemed to be in safety violation. There is also a guarantee of no discipline if appropriate action is taken.

The DOT has a hotline to call to report instances where you are forced to take equipment that is deemed to be in safety violation. There is also a guarantee of no discipline if appropriate action is taken.

Who administrates the guarantee race?? From my experience, if you report a manager to the DOT, you are more than likely to be subject to a series of hateful revengeful types of retaliation from management.

ups767mech

Ahhh!!
That explains all the crashes we've had due to mechanical failure.
Now I know.

Obviously you can pencil whip a safety item and it not come back to bite. Is it really going to be worth it the one time it causes a crash?

Please hoaxster dont be another drewed.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
I think it depends on the manager/supervisor, I know some in my building that care about the safety of a driver above anything else, and I have heard some sups talk like they wouldn't loose sleep over a driver getting into an unsafe situation because of a decision the sup made! I would hope the safety of all employees takes precedence at all times. I do have to say if your put in a situation that isn't safe because of someone you MUST play it safe and look after YOU!!

W

westsideworma

A question like that makes me think of a blizzard several years ago, where they wouldn't let us bring it in. Couldn't see a thing, the snow was coming down so hard. I didn't dare stop my package car, because if I had stopped, I never would have gotten going again. For hours I just drove around and around the main streets on my route.

The shop steward quit the "safety committee" because of this, one of the most reckless, unsafe decisions I've seen the company make.

unsafe decision made so far you mean right? they could top it :wink2:

wornoutupser

I will again post about Hurricane Charlie in my building.

This storm hit and we were told before going out that day that we were NOT ALLOWED to return until we were told to.

I watched tornadoes go over my head in my area. We had drivers an hour closer to the storm core than me.

Does that answer your question?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Obviously you can pencil whip a safety item and it not come back to bite. Is it really going to be worth it the one time it causes a crash?

I want you to know that I ensure all my reports' PCs are functioning safely. We inspect them to make sure viruses are not a threat. The mice are positioned properly and monitors are at the right height - 9 degrees below horizontal from eye-level. Chairs are positioned for proper ergonomics.

I have never pencil-whipped a safety item - if that PC is not protected, you don't turn it on. If that chair is not at the right height and angle, we get it adjusted before we touch that mouse. We have not had a crash in the 5 years I have been in this group ... we rock!!!

Last edited:

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
bloodshot: According to the National Master Agreement and arbitration case law, there are 3 instances when a driver can refuse to work as directed: 1. The order is immoral
2. The order is illegal
3. The order is unsafe.

That doesn't mean you won't end up in arbitration.

Tony31yrs

I always felt that management pushed production over safety until the injuries and accidents went way up. Then, upper management ripped them a new one for the high cost of workers compensation and insurance claims. Suddenly, safety mattered more.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
If you feel that you are in an unsafe situation you have to be the one to make the call. Some drivers would feel unsafe where other drivers wouldn't. As long as you have a reasonable argument that your safety is/was in jeopardy you should have nothing to worry about. You have to realize, though, that other driver may have been in the same situation as you and decided to "carry on". This will probably come into play. At the end of the day, though, safety is a judgement call on your part. If you do feel that you cannot do the job you have been given safely you have the right to not do it. Just be willing and able to effectively explain why it was unsafe.

tieguy

Banned

you're talking about a maintenance supervisor?

Would be pretty balsy of him to sign off on unsafe conditions when doing so could land him in jail. There is a tremendous amount of regulatory oversight in all facets of the airline industry.I think you have to give him a little more credit then you have.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Our safety committee is a joke. CHEMA is the worst by far I've seen. They coax injured workers back in to do "4 hour demos" so they don't have DART injuries on the books....that's pretty low