What is overworked? How do I balance this?

Makave22

I grieve every 9.5. I call for help everyday at that pickup when they wont all fit. They send the person with the smallest truck they can who is done at 5:30. They have hired 6 new drivers this year, 3 of them didn't make it. The other 3 get 4hrs of work everyday helping more seniority guys. Why take lunch and get off at 8:30 when I can take minimum and get off at 7:15?
Scan up missed packages that don't belong to your route.
Take your whole hour lunch. Don't touch any packages during your lunch.
Follow Orian.

35years

Gravy route
My buddy in another center leaves with 96 stops with nearly 500 pieces and pickups around 600 pieces on a industrial business route. He’s been taking his 1hr lunch and calling help for pickups and still doesn’t get his overall workload reduce. The “work slow” mentality doesn’t work for everyone. Another driver gets close to that and he’s been there since 1989. It varies widely for different hubs
9.5s filed every time?
Missed pkgs sheeted as missed?
Doubt it.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
I grieve every 9.5. I call for help everyday at that pickup when they wont all fit. They send the person with the smallest truck they can who is done at 5:30. They have hired 6 new drivers this year, 3 of them didn't make it. The other 3 get 4hrs of work everyday helping more seniority guys. Why take lunch and get off at 8:30 when I can take minimum and get off at 7:15?
@burrheadd hit it right on the nose. Keep this defeated attitude and it will never change. You have to play their own game against them. Take your full lunch and paid break. Don't take shortcuts. Call for help everyday. If you continue to finish everyday then nothing will change buuuuuttttt throw a wrench in their plans enough times and they grease the squeaky wheel.

bdmiz

@burrheadd hit it right on the nose. Keep this defeated attitude and it will never change. You have to play their own game against them. Take your full lunch and paid break. Don't take shortcuts. Call for help everyday. If you continue to finish everyday then nothing will change buuuuuttttt throw a wrench in their plans enough times and they grease the squeaky wheel.
this guy knows whats up. if you finish only because you're skipping a full lunch or breaks, nothing will ever change. you have to play by their rules. Full lunch, breaks everyday when you should, follow orion 100%. trust me when i tell you they WILL adjust your dispatch. It may take a couple months but they WILL adjust it.

Over70irregs

Balance the scale with 9.5 grievances until they run out of grievance $. Get a bag from target and walk around with it. Practice pre-filling 9.5 forms when sup comes behind your truck. Don’t wave it around just hv in your hand….

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
My route just keeps blowing up. I have an industrial/commercial/rural route. It can be a anywhere from 75 stops 120ish miles with 33 pickups, to 60 miles 120 stops, 33 pickups. There is one pickup that has been extremely heavy this whole pandemic. Before in decent days it would be 30 ground pieces, 10 or so air. Lately it's been 80 ground and 125+ air. Which causes me to get the air first, go unload and then go back for the ground and then finish my 30 or more stops causing me to go over 9.5. I brick out my truck everyday with air front to back. My pickups start about 3:30 and I deliver nothing in between them till after I get my air unloaded at 6:15. The solution has me running about 30 stops in between pickups which is impossible unless they want missed businesses.

If I have a bad load, which is everyday I have over 300 + packages. I lose about 2 hours, then I end up having to go back and unload my ground before the feeder leaves which is at 9:15pm which makes me punchout at around 10:30

The last guy who ran this route defuncted on a bad back and was always hopped up on pain pills and never had as heavy of pickups. He would be done at 6 everyday. The lady before him had bout 50 less stops and had double knee surgery before changing routes.

I take my minimum lunch. Thinking about taking my full hour and telling them I won't be able to get my businesses off in time. Which happened yesterday and I didn't even take my whole lunch. I don't want to bid on another route. This route regularly goes by my house and is sometimes the only time I can see my kid and family. Do I have any recourse against this monster route? I've been over 9.5 eight times so far this year.
You are enabling bad behavior. Take your full lunch. Let your center know immediately if you are going to miss pickups or business stops. Use ONLY your DIAD to communicate with the center so there is documentation. Grieve every 9.5. Work as quickly as you can, but do not run. The center management team won't change anything until it hurts them. When it does hurt, they will come at you. Be professional and pleasant, but be firm. Ask for a ride along so they can demonstrate how to handle this route.

You are the only person on this planet who can fix this. Keep your head up and do the job safely. Killing yourself for your center is not a great life plan.

quad decade guy

You are enabling bad behavior. Take your full lunch. Let your center know immediately if you are going to miss pickups or business stops. Use ONLY your DIAD to communicate with the center so there is documentation. Grieve every 9.5. Work as quickly as you can, but do not run. The center management team won't change anything until it hurts them. When it does hurt, they will come at you. Be professional and pleasant, but be firm. Ask for a ride along so they can demonstrate how to handle this route.

You are the only person on this planet who can fix this. Keep your head up and do the job safely. Killing yourself for your center is not a great life plan.
You make it sound so simple.....

I had a route just like the OP's. Heavy industrial with 50 pickups....8-8. Nut and bolt route.

I had it for 14 years. I went to feeders. But then I bid it(pkg route) every 2 years. I knew it intimately. Could count on it.

I never filed on anything. It was what it was. Every run has it's +'s and -'s.....It was never going to change.

Why? Simply because you couldn't/still can't depend on the Union to have your back. See, you don't address this. The "target" on your back so-called.

For example: I have a road run in feeders. I will never have a local CPU run even if it started at a pleasant 0:700. Why? Pkg car in a feeder. All it is. Rush rush hurry hurry. Traffic. Same old BS. I'll work deep nights to stay out of a part-time dispatch chicks idea of how to drive a truck.....

Imagine.....going to work everyday to fight. Angst. Angst. Stress. No thanks. Go where they ain't. My contact with the office is about 30 seconds each day. Grab keys. Turn in keys. Maybe a pleasantry. Maybe not.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
For example: I have a road run in feeders. I will never have a local CPU run even if it started at a pleasant 0:700. Why? Pkg car in a feeder. All it is. Rush rush hurry hurry. Traffic. Same old BS. I'll work deep nights to stay out of a part-time dispatch chicks idea of how to drive a truck.....
The day runs are the only runs where they leave you alone. No pull times. No hot loads. Every night run is the worst time allowance i have ever seen.

RetiredIE

You make it sound so simple.....

I had a route just like the OP's. Heavy industrial with 50 pickups....8-8. Nut and bolt route.

I had it for 14 years. I went to feeders. But then I bid it(pkg route) every 2 years. I knew it intimately. Could count on it.

I never filed on anything. It was what it was. Every run has it's +'s and -'s.....It was never going to change.

Why? Simply because you couldn't/still can't depend on the Union to have your back. See, you don't address this. The "target" on your back so-called.

Imagine.....going to work everyday to fight. Angst. Angst. Stress. No thanks. Go where they ain't. My contact with the office is about 30 seconds each day. Grab keys. Turn in keys. Maybe a pleasantry. Maybe not.
I realize it isn't simple and I absolutely agree that you will have a target on your back. All package drivers have a hard job. My point is that management will suck every bit of life out of you if you allow it. You should not be be literally killing yourself every day just so they don't have to do the hard work of fixing the route(s). Management has to have some skin in the game. No route is unfixable, but it takes work and analysis. Given the choice between doing this work and taking advantage of a willing driver is an easy choice for a poor manager.

It is unfortunate that the drivers who are most susceptible to being beaten up like this are the one's who really care and are just trying to do a good job.

quad decade guy

The day runs are the only runs where they leave you alone. No pull times. No hot loads. Every night run is the worst time allowance i have ever seen.
Well....gosh. I disagree. We pull preloads overnight. White hot.

The only time I worried about anything in feeders is CPU. Drop and pull 5 hour runs pretty much take care of themselves....unless your meet guy is late....but then, that's mat's problem.

We only have a small handful of actual "day runs"(over the road) out of 250. All are drop and pull. Allowances don't come into play.....

quad decade guy

I realize it isn't simple and I absolutely agree that you will have a target on your back. All package drivers have a hard job. My point is that management will suck every bit of life out of you if you allow it. You should not be be literally killing yourself every day just so they don't have to do the hard work of fixing the route(s). Management has to have some skin in the game. No route is unfixable, but it takes work and analysis. Given the choice between doing this work and taking advantage of a willing driver is an easy choice for a poor manager.

It is unfortunate that the drivers who are most susceptible to being beaten up like this are the one's who really care and are just trying to do a good job.
Bravo. I agree with everything said.

But......

I've NEVER seen any mgt. that cared one wit about anyone or anything but themselves and getting the cars out of the building.....knowing they screwed the driver royally. Then, knowing that........abusing the driver for being over-allowed, misses, injuries, accidents.....whatever.

As far as "allowing it"......you also know that pkg is designed to drain every last bit of productivity and energy from a driver. And then some. With all respect, "fixing" this is laughable.

Work and analysis....LOL.

RetiredIE

Bravo. I agree with everything said.

But......

I've NEVER seen any mgt. that cared one wit about anyone or anything but themselves and getting the cars out of the building.....knowing they screwed the driver royally. Then, knowing that........abusing the driver for being over-allowed, misses, injuries, accidents.....whatever.

As far as "allowing it"......you also know that pkg is designed to drain every last bit of productivity and energy from a driver. And then some. With all respect, "fixing" this is laughable.

Work and analysis....LOL.
I hate to say "well, back in the old days", but back in the old days, before ORION, I was an IE rep for a division. I got pretty good at fixing these types of things. The root cause was almost always a bad trace in one or more loops, or imbalanced territory in loops. I worked with the center team and I always talked to the drivers about possible solutions and I followed up and tracked to make sure my solution worked. I was not unique. Other IE reps did the same thing.

I think that back in my UPS, center management was generally better and IE not only existed, but they did IE stuff. Keep in mind, I was only in two districts, so my sample size was limited.

I am truly sad to see the hopelessness and justifiable anger. My only concerns now are fishing and playing golf. I am glad I am out of that mess. Good luck to you!

quad decade guy

I hate to say "well, back in the old days", but back in the old days, before ORION, I was an IE rep for a division. I got pretty good at fixing these types of things. The root cause was almost always a bad trace in one or more loops, or imbalanced territory in loops. I worked with the center team and I always talked to the drivers about possible solutions and I followed up and tracked to make sure my solution worked. I was not unique. Other IE reps did the same thing.

I think that back in my UPS, center management was generally better and IE not only existed, but they did IE stuff. Keep in mind, I was only in two districts, so my sample size was limited.

I am truly sad to see the hopelessness and justifiable anger. My only concerns now are fishing and playing golf. I am glad I am out of that mess. Good luck to you!
IE guys/gals.....unicorns. Under a rainbow....

Yeah, they'd come through now and then.....ah time studies........they'd ride with ya....stopwatch....clipboard.....your load massaged down to a gnats behind.....

then.....magically you lost 30 minutes! Under-allowed to over...just like that. No? You bet! You never wanted to see an IE person in the office. Your day was screwed. And the future. BTW, no IE guy EVER asked me anything. Nor Center MGR/ORS....except to ask what happened/why are you over-allowed. Sorry to be hard on ya....but that's exactly the way it was.

Sales reps would cycle through every couple YEARS. "Uh, got any leads...?"

BTW, if you are retired....why are you bottom feeding on BC? Serious question.