what is the 9.5 rule exactly?

Dustyroads

the 9.5 rule says that if the company causes you to work more than 9.5 hours on three days withing any five working day period, then it is considered excessive overtime and a violation of the contract, providing that the driver wishes to not be excessively dispatched.

Dustyroads

if a driver has been excessively dispatched, after expressing a desire to not work excessive overtime, then penalties can apply, such as double pay for the overtime. However, this penalty doesn't exist in all supplements and riders.

Dustyroads

That is correct, a guideline, Article 12, Hours of Work says, " The Employer shall continue its efforts to reduce overtime where requested...An employee shall have the right to file a grievance if the Employer has continuously caused him/her to work over nine and one half hours per day." The three out of five days was a standard that was mutually agreed in our two-state area, and has been held as a standard in all grievances.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I won my double time grievance a few years ago and got paid. My 9.5 problem cleared up pretty quick after that.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
its a moot point that says,, if you file a 9/5 grievance you will get a massive ojs ride and will be humbled

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It is worth every ojs ride. Follow theiR(ups) METHODS most times your numbers will be worst than before. In your favor. I filed 2 last week. They threatened a ojs. I say any time. Bring your wallet for lunch.

3HrsOverAllowed

They monitor how many 9.5's drivers on the list have in a week in our center. They go out of their way to ensure you don't get 3. I guess it works out for both sides. The only retaliation we get for filing and getting on the list is if you don't have 2 days in the bag by Thursday, you will DEFINITELY be out late on Friday.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have, if I recall correctly, 6 9.5 grievances out right now, since the first of the year. This last one was filed jointly with a harrassment grievance. They used to be pretty good about making sure that the 9.5's were complied with. They don't even bother anymore. And yes, I had my 3 day OJS last week.

3Hrs, you are right about getting screwed on Fri.

Nefarious, the new thing is, supposedly, the driver has to be on a bidded rte for the week and it has to be deemed a 9.5 rte. So basically they are trying to screw the utility drivers out of 9.5's. I am still filing them.

Jones, I've won lots of 9.5's and have a panel decision also.

My BA is not doing one friend....... thing about the 9.5's. Nearly half of our drivers, bidded and non bidded, are filing.

I have, if I recall correctly, 6 9.5 grievances out right now, since the first of the year. This last one was filed jointly with a harrassment grievance. They used to be pretty good about making sure that the 9.5's were complied with. They don't even bother anymore. And yes, I had my 3 day OJS last week.

3Hrs, you are right about getting screwed on Fri.

Nefarious, the new thing is, supposedly, the driver has to be on a bidded rte for the week and it has to be deemed a 9.5 rte. So basically they are trying to screw the utility drivers out of 9.5's. I am still filing them.

Jones, I've won lots of 9.5's and have a panel decision also.

My BA is not doing one friend....... thing about the 9.5's. Nearly half of our drivers, bidded and non bidded, are filing.

The contract makes no provisions on bid vs. non-bid and as far as I know neither has the Over 9.5 National Committee....... yet.
Encourage everyone to keep filing, it may not do any good but it sure won't hurt anything.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The contract makes no provisions on bid vs. non-bid and as far as I know neither has the Over 9.5 National Committee....... yet.
Encourage everyone to keep filing, it may not do any good but it sure won't hurt anything.
This is the premise that I am basing my grievances on. And this is just a rumor that has not been confirmed by my BA yet. However I was told this by my steward. Are you WR, Trp? Nevermind, I answered my own question. This may be a WR agreement that the union has wrongly agreed to.

Kip614

Can you file a 9.5 & file on management running a route?? Mgmt is saying they will cancel each other out! But what it boils down to is they would rather pay 9.5’s instead of hire more drivers!