What is the slow season like for cover drivers

Bubbajay

I'm a cover driver and once the busy season is over how often will I get to drive after that? How often will I be put in the center? When does cover driving pick back up to where I can be working at least 3 days a week?

Bubbajay

And what I mean by working in the center I mean how often will I be loading trucks instead of driving. What are some good side jobs you do in the meantime?

barnyard

KTM rider
Only someone in your building knows that. It will depend on where you are on the building seniority list, staffing for any particular day and all that.

In my building, we have not been staffing for growth, so it would appear that most of the new hires that are making seniority in November will work frequently after peak.

It is also important to remember that retirement bonuses go into effect in February in Central. There are guys in my building talking about retiring that are not on the bosses radar.

ManInBrown

Easy solution. Show up 45 minutes before the start time and take a stroll by the computer. Ask all the nail biting, nervous nellie drivers if they want the day off. Someone will take you up on the offer

WTFm8

I didn’t drive mid Jan through Feb after my first peak. Didn’t drive near 40 days total that year and made over $40k even tho my rate was $18.75. 2nd/this year I didn’t drive maybe 25 days tops and my rate was $19.50 then $23 and I’m over $50k already.

Takin in OT cause I don’t want to ‘work’ my entire life.

Air driving is 4yr progression now tho so that sucks for any new hires.

barnyard

KTM rider
Amazon took away the off season. No more resting up in the winter. Every day is game day.

Not just amazon. Orion and EDD/computer dispatching wrecked things even more. Used to be there were some routes that were nice to run because of a fat allowance. No more. We lost our sorting allowance with orion and I am sure that mapnav is going to cost us more allowance.

I have 1 or 2 days a month where I can run all my air on trace, those are pretty much the only non-suck days anymore.