What me worry?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
People at UPS seem to worry about a lot of things.
40% of the time we worry about things that never happen.
40% of the time we worry about things that have already happened.
12% of the time we worry about things that are unimportant.
4% of the time we worry about things we can't control.
4% of the time we worry about things we can control.

Problem is that we don't spend enough time on the 4% we can control because we spend 96% of our time worrying about other things.

Just saying ...:sad-little:

ismahchyk

Problem is that we don't spend enough time on the 4% we can control because we spend 96% of our time worrying about other things.

ismahchyk

um yeah its called obsessive compulsive disorder, they DO make pills for that (although with a place like that they do need to air drop them in) and many books have been written about the disorder...............

Brown does MANY things right however there are many things the old guard does not want to hear about re: how to improve the operation........

Shame... top quality people being governed by crisis............

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ever since that Bobby McFerrin song was released, my first thought was......that's what's wrong with the world.

RoyalFlush

One of Them

Worry synonyms:

Care
Mind
Be concerned
Think about
Heed
Be bothered
Concern
Trouble
Fret
Agonize

Unfortunately we are headed toward a company with 96% of the people that don't worry, care, mind, trouble, agonize, fret, heed, or think about what's in the best interest of the company.

Learning to not give a crap is difficult for most of us, but we'll catch on eventually. Every time we get screwed over on raises, mip, benefits, promotions and job opportunities it get a little easier though.

Just sayin...

sano

I would think a synonym of worry as Hoax used it would be anxiety. Anxiety is nothing but repeatedly re-experiencing failure in advance. What a waste.

satellitedriver

Just saying, not a bible thumper but the first 4 lines or so say it all.
Amen, tooner.

Two poem/prayers got me through some very hard times.
One was your contribution;

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

The second is;

desiderata - by max ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.
Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
Max Ehrmann c.1920

I have both of these works displayed in my home.
Often, I read them and they calm me after a stressful day.
Lately, I have had to read them daily.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've always liked Desiderata, very cool poem.
I gave this one a printed scroll to my wife (she likes her tea but she needs to relax more)

Drink your tea slowly and reverently,
as if it is the axis
On which the world earth revolves -
slowly, evenly, without
rushing toward the future.
Live the actual moment.

Only this moment is life.

-Thich Nat Hahn

It probably works just as well with beer...

DS

Fenderbender
4% of the time I believe ...
nothing exists before something, inaction exists before action and rest exists before motion. Thus nothingness is the fundamental state and qualities inherent to this state include tranquility, silence and humility and associations with femanine yin rather than masculine yang. Motion and change are important concepts, because from the state of inaction every kind of action is possible
the other 96 % of the time I grin and bare it.

ismahchyk

thats your prayer

Mine was the exorcist's prayer:

Dear St. Michael, lead us into battle................

Then crossed myself 3x and dabbed holy water on my head

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Amen, tooner.

Two poem/prayers got me through some very hard times.
One was your contribution;
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

The second is;

[/FONT]desiderata - by max ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love, for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.
Take kindly to the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
Max Ehrmann c.1920

I have both of these works displayed in my home.
Often, I read them and they calm me after a stressful day.
Lately, I have had to read them daily.

Sat, thank you for posting this. The Serenity Prayer I have heard and know well. The Desiderata I have never heard before. I made a copy of it and now have it posted by my computer. Thank you Dilli

P

pickup

:

In reference to your first statistic(did you pull these numbers out of the air by the way?), maybe by worrying about something, you then take action ,plan a different course, or become extra vigilant and hence the thing doesn't happen.

Just saying ....:happy2:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In reference to your first statistic(did you pull these numbers out of the air by the way?), maybe by worrying about something, you then take action ,plan a different course, or become extra vigilant and hence the thing doesn't happen.

Just saying ....:happy2:

It was something I pulled out of a newspaper article by a group of Psychologists from Emory maybe 10 years ago and to be honest, did not reference UPS.
However, it was about the time UPS went public ... as I remember, there was a lot of worrying about that.
I think their point was that people worried about things that could happen and they did not take any action to influence the probability (i.e. meteor striking the Earth, the Rapture, etc.). :wink2:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I bought a new Chevy Avalanche

And returned to the dealer yesterday

Because I couldn't get the radio to work.

The salesman explained that the radio was voice activated.

'Nelson,' the salesman said to the radio
The radio replied, 'Ricky or Willie?'
'Willie!' he continued and 'On The Road Again'

Came from the speakers.

Then he said, 'Ray Charles!', and in an instant

' Georgia On My Mind' replaced Willie Nelson.

I drove away happy, and for the next few days,

Every time I'd say, 'Beethoven,'

I'd get beautiful classical music, and if I said,

'Beatles,' I'd get one of their awesome songs.

Yesterday, some guy ran a red light

And nearly creamed my new truck,

But I swerved in time to avoid him.
I yelled, ':censored2:!'

Immediately the radio responded with,

"Ladies and gentlemen,

The President of The

United States

Damn I love this truck...Smart too