what more does my supe expect from me

Shiv

I went to my sup today to ask if I could get the pickoff pay. His answer was "tell me why." I told him why I want the extra pay and asked what I could do to get it. Instead of telling me what I need to do to get it, he instead tells me to tell him why HE should give me it. I tell him what I think, and he still says no, not the answer he's looking for. The answer "is right in front of my face" and until I tell him it he's not going to give me an answer. I have no clue at all what he wants to hear. The first thing that comes to mind is that he doesn't want to because his bonus or w/e is based on how cost effective he keeps his wing of the building, and giving a lowly grunt a 1$ an hour raise isn't worth it to him. I don't even know if this is true, but in my frustration this is what comes to mind.

All I know is if I can't start making more at this place, the only answer he's getting from me is "I quit."

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

His decision as to whether to give you the pickoff pay has nothing to do with his bonus. He is simply testing you and if your response is "I quit" than you have failed his test.

Shiv

His decision as to whether to give you the pickoff pay has nothing to do with his bonus. He is simply testing you and if your response is "I quit" than you have failed his test.

This is the 4th or 5th time I've asked if I can get up on pick off to get the pay. I've asked for the sort material so I can test into that for the pay, and have been told not to bother unless I was actually going to sort, which in our building isn't hiring or taking any transfers, and to just memorize the PD and get the pickoff pay, yet they won't let me. The only "testing" he's doing with me is testing my patience.

tell him " because I am skilled, and deserve the skilled labor pay"

He asked if I knew the read's first thing when I went up to talk to him and I told him that I know the entire PD perfectly fine.

over9five

Staff member
It has little to do with him. Do you have the seniority to do the more skilled position or not?

Find your shop steward. If they're giving less senior people skilled pay before you, grieve it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
He only has a legit grievance IF there was an opening on the pickoff, he was denied and a lower seniority person took the assignment. If there's already enough staffing on the pickoff, he has to wait for an opening. You can't just bump.

Seniority does not dictate where you work unless (1) he/she is qualified to do the work (2) has nine months seniority and (3) there's an open pickoff position.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
You don't get the extra pay just because you know the chart. You actually have to be in the pickoff position, or another skilled position. If they are not hiring for that spot then there is no expectation for the skilled pay, unless you had expressed intrest and an opening was filled by a lower seniority person after your intrest was expressed.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Told my sup I could fly a 757 on playstation and want to be a UPS pilot. He told me to take the trailer to the airport and hurry back !! Should I try to go to H.R or just file one on him ???

Big Babooba

Told my sup I could fly a 757 on playstation and want to be a UPS pilot. He told me to take the trailer to the airport and hurry back !! Should I try to go to H.R or just file one on him ???
Who would you file it with? Teamsters or IPA? Can I be your copilot? I know all the important flying jargon like: "Roger", Bandits at twelve o'clock" and "Bombs away!".....Let me know so I can get a leather flying helmet and a silk scarf.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Who would you file it with? Teamsters or IPA? Can I be your copilot? I know all the important flying jargon like: "Roger", Bandits at twelve o'clock" and "Bombs away!".....Let me know so I can get a leather flying helmet and a silk scarf.
I figured if my dweeb brother in law could do it any monkey trained with a few banannas could. Yah you can be in charge of dumping the blue ice (lav waste) when we fly over Yankee Stadium lol lol

anonUPS

At my hub, if you pass the test, you get the extra dollar, whether or not you are actually picking off. Almost everyone on my belt is pickoff certified.

menotyou

bella amicizia
At our hub, any extra dollars apparently come directly out of center manager's pocket. At least, that's how it seems, considering how tight he is with them. Sorters on Metro don't get $1 extra, anymore. He won't give it. Isn't that in the contract? One of my friends is affected. She won't sign a grievance, though. She is sick and tired of having those bulls-eyes on her back. She transferred to metro from preload to get away from the Psyco-Susie and co.

jeepupser

I would say that maybe you shouldprove that you know it. For example, show him that you know all the splits and what goes in all the trucks. Also it should go by seniority it often does not. You have to earn it.