What to do about senority???

705red

Browncafe Steward
He doesen't get to pick his route because it can change daily. Can you imagine a center that has say 20 cover drivers and each day that come in and pick what route they want that day. Need I say more.

One way cover drivers get off routes they don't like is by taking to long on them and than management knows not to put them on that route anymore.

Complaining about what route your doing isn't worth it. It could turn out to be alot more trouble than it's worth. Management could say fine and then cut his route.
Absolutely a cover driver with seniority has the right to pick a route over a junior cover driver. We got sick of filing these grievances and winning them including difference in paid days that we changed the language in this last contract.

[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]
Swing and coverage drivers shall bid from a weekly center bid list which will be posted the week prior. Swing and coverage drivers
may elect to cover a weekly bid or cover daily vacancies. If a swing driver or coverage driver elects to bid daily coverage work,
he/she shall not bump a driver bidding on weekly coverage work. Weekly coverage is defined as those areas open for the entire​
week.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't know, I liked it way back when I ran cover. I preferred knowing what I was going to be doing every day, and bricked out routes never really bothered me. It's the same reason I bid a route every year now. Some days are heavy, some days not but it beats running cover. People are different though, not every person is going to feel the same way about it. I know guys who stayed in cover longer than they had to just because they liked running different routes all the time. I think they are definitely in the minority though.

To me there would be nothing worse than having to run a route that is bulked out and/or dispatched for a ten hour day when there is a better route to run somewhere down the belt. I don't have enough time in yet to get a bid route so the satisfaction of knowing where I'm going each day isn't a factor yet but I'm honestly considering sticking with being unassigned when that time comes. We have some good unassigned routes here so being the top seniority cover driver is a good thing.

UPSGUY72

Absolutely a cover driver with seniority has the right to pick a route over a junior cover driver. We got sick of filing these grievances and winning them including difference in paid days that we changed the language in this last contract.

[FONT=Calibri,Bold][FONT=Calibri,Bold]Swing and coverage drivers shall bid from a weekly center bid list which will be posted the week prior. Swing and coverage drivers[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Calibri,Bold]
[FONT=Calibri,Bold]may elect to cover a weekly bid or cover daily vacancies. If a swing driver or coverage driver elects to bid daily coverage work,[/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,Bold]he/she shall not bump a driver bidding on weekly coverage work. Weekly coverage is defined as those areas open for the entire[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri,Bold]week.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

(a) Seniority does not give an employee the right to choose any specific unit or load

UPSGUY72

(e) Full time senority employees will select a bid job at the time of the bid. If an employee fails to select a bid he shall be assigned to a job, and such assignment shall be considered a bid for all purposes.

Overpaid Union Thug

(a) Seniority does not give an employee the right to choose any specific unit or load

Wrong. Read the whole contract. Trust me on this one. These grievances don't go so well for management when they test us.

(e) Full time senority employees will select a bid job at the time of the bid. If an employee fails to select a bid he shall be assigned to a job, and such assignment shall be considered a bid for all purposes.

For that particular section a driver would still be able to exercise their seniority if there is more than one route open that wasn't bid the week before. They just wouldn't be able to bump one of the less senior drivers that did actually bid. If it were just one route open then the one unassigned driver for that day would be forced on it. Its that simple.

STAR

A Cover Driver is a part timer who works full time as a driver when they need them, and then goes back to the hub when they don't. Once you go full time you have a different pay rate and start your full time pay progression. Sounds like your husband is a full time driver getting hosed. He has a right to the work per the contract no question. Just remember it's their company, we just work for them. Our Sup's get paid to put the best team on the field, our Union gets paid to make sure we all get up to bat....I'm not saying it's right but if you had 10 apples to make a pie and 4 where old or bruised, you would do your best to hide the four! It's a business and our bennies and pay depend on keeping our head above water.....to bad the fat at top keeps pulling us down.....Make WAVES and ride the surf, or lay low and enjoy the sunset, everybody is wired alittle different. I made waves and after 20 years my route has been out the last three weeks....I do enjoy the SURF......call me crazy, or just stupid, but we all have to play the game one way or another..

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A Cover Driver is a part timer who works full time as a driver when they need them, and then goes back to the hub when they don't. Once you go full time you have a different pay rate and start your full time pay progression. Sounds like your husband is a full time driver getting hosed. He has a right to the work per the contract no question. Just remember it's their company, we just work for them. Our Sup's get paid to put the best team on the field, our Union gets paid to make sure we all get up to bat....I'm not saying it's right but if you had 10 apples to make a pie and 4 where old or bruised, you would do your best to hide the four! It's a business and our bennies and pay depend on keeping our head above water.....to bad the fat at top keeps pulling us down.....Make WAVES and ride the surf, or lay low and enjoy the sunset, everybody is wired alittle different. I made waves and after 20 years my route has been out the last three weeks....I do enjoy the SURF......call me crazy, or just stupid, but we all have to play the game one way or another..

You are talking about your region, and it's supplement, but that does not apply everywhere.

Cover drivers here are BID jobs that are FT and the same rate of pay as route drivers in this region.