What to expect on first days as a new driver?

Google knows 99% of actual house numbers. Paper maps know 0%. Google has the actual houses rendered on the map and when you press and hold it, the address appears. Not sure why you would have this problem. If you have the number punched in, it'll have you take the right turn at the intersection 99% of the time. Without it, you WILL be going in the wrong direction half the time based on guess work.
Unless you are out in the middle of nowhere. Google maps suck out in the boonies.

JL 0513

Unless you are out in the middle of nowhere. Google maps suck out in the boonies.

That's the 1% of developed land it doesn't get right.

I also have the Mapquest app on my phone that actually sometimes has an off the grid street that Google doesn't have yet. Otherwise, the app isn't nearly has well designed as Google Maps which is also far better than any Garmin or TomTom.

That's the 1% of developed land it doesn't get right.

I also have the Mapquest app on my phone that actually sometimes has an off the grid street that Google doesn't have yet. Otherwise, the app isn't nearly has well designed as Google Maps which is also far better than any Garmin or TomTom.
Thankfully I don't have to deal with that while I'm delivering. Not sure how some of these guys learn those routes.

JL 0513

Bottom line is, the best way to learn a route is simply to do it a for a week. Delivery repetition out on the road is what makes it stick regardless of whether you use paper or Google maps.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I had my country run most of the towns on the area had the number breaks of the roads that bisected an intersection right on their signs. For example, let's say that you were on Maple Road and you were coming up to the intersection with Balsam Road. The signs for Balsam Road would have the number breaks in both directions printed right on the sign, which took the guessing out of whether your next stop on Balsam was to the left or to the right.

JL 0513

When I had my country run most of the towns on the area had the number breaks of the roads that bisected an intersection right on their signs. For example, let's say that you were on Maple Road and you were coming up to the intersection with Balsam Road. The signs for Balsam Road would have the number breaks in both directions printed right on the sign, which took the guessing out of whether your next stop on Balsam was to the left or to the right.

Every intersection street sign in America should have that. I've never seen that in my area.

Star B

White Lightening
Google knows 99% of actual house numbers. Paper maps know 0%.
My rural paper maps have the address split on it. It also helps that the numbering system is county-wide. Also, Google maps is useless out there... the address do not come up. I tried when I first started. I use Here maps when I'm absolutely stumped as Here actually has the rural addressing.

Every intersection street sign in America should have that. I've never seen that in my area.
I'm sorry. Most of our major cities have the block number on the sign. You still have to know which way to go higher or lower.

pkgdriver

I have a feeling that drivers weren't thrown on 5 different routes a week 30 years ago.

I sure was. In our center now the routes on vacation are put up for bid. Highest unassigned driver picks first and goes down the line. It is generally followed but sometimes staffing/area knowledge changes things and you will have drivers doing 5 different routes in a week.

Savvy412

Google knows 99% of actual house numbers. Paper maps know 0%. Google has the actual houses rendered on the map and when you press and hold it, the address appears. Not sure why you would have this problem. If you have the number punched in, it'll have you take the correct turn at the intersection 99% of the time. Without it, you WILL be going in the wrong direction half the time based on guess work.
Ya but when you are new..its hard to think 3-4-5-6 stops ahead. and how the streets run (high to low)

so if you have smith street and then douglas streets next. it might take you kind of through douglas to get to smith, but really...you should go a different way so it does smith first and then youll end up on douglas. I cant really explain what I mean.

But im not saying paper map is better.im talking cons of JUST USING googlemaps and not your head.

Savvy412

No one's mentioned anything about what happens when one ends up on a route and you have no cell service and no map.... Could be interesting.
when I dont have service..my googlemaps still shows up. It wont navigate me, but the map still shows up of where I am and I can zoom in and just look to where I need to go.

Pooter

We are on a grid. Numbers get bigger going west and south. Can't beat that. :)

Except one county that fkd it up and reversed it.

Savvy412

I dont know, maybe im dumb, because it took me a little bit to get used to that ^^ . Like knowing that. and running it effectively in my route so it all makes sense. 2-3-4 stops/streets ahead

S

selfcancelsignal

Ya but when you are new..its hard to think 3-4-5-6 stops ahead. and how the streets run (high to low)

so if you have smith street and then douglas streets next. it might take you kind of through douglas to get to smith, but really...you should go a different way so it does smith first and then youll end up on douglas. I cant really explain what I mean.

But im not saying paper map is better.im talking cons of JUST USING googlemaps and not your head.
Even after having my route for a year it's difficult to think more than one stop ahead. Too busy thinking about all the kitty I wanna slam, either at previous or upcoming stops.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
I figure when I first start driving im just going to get a mount for my phone and have it on the charger for constant gps.

Im sure it'll slow me down, but during my first couple weeks im assuming i can get away with it

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I figure when I first start driving im just going to get a mount for my phone and have it on the charger for constant gps.

Im sure it'll slow me down, but during my first couple weeks im assuming i can get away with it

Let us know how that works out for you.

oldngray

nowhere special

Its better to print some paper maps of your areas and memorize them.

oldngray

nowhere special
You could use GPS to help you find stops but shouldn't rely on it as a crutch for everything. The better you learn your route the less you should need maps.