What was driving like back when...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No, to help put out fires. Had one for a little while, rarely got used. Find a pay phone and call the 800# for the local center. Wonder if they still have that 800#.

I only ran 1 route, that had one.

800 number.... yep.

We would still call collect (from a pay phone) just to piss them off.

Good times.

-Bug-

retired2000

No nada to worry about. If they sent you out heavy at the end of the day you could seat for an hour and now one would fine out.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The hourly employees back then all stuck together and did things as a group both on and off the clock. You could always find someone to take a few stops off you if you really needed to get off early. From what I see now its every man for themselves.
Before Orion we still had a bunch of drivers meet up for lunch in my old center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can recall many times parking the pkg car on the side of the road and watching my son play baseball and my daughter play softball. Somehow the 45 minutes ran closer to 60-75.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No, to help put out fires. Had one for a little while, rarely got used. Find a pay phone and call the 800# for the local center. Wonder if they still have that 800#.
There's still an 800 number for the center. When I refuse to use my cellphone or its dead and the area I'm in is long distance they have me call it.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Bulkhead door was NEVER shut,and during the heat of summer i;d often deliver my neighborhoods in the afternoon and evenings with both the bulkhead and back door open to create a breeze.
there was NO power steering,no automatics and the steps and rear bumper were very high off the ground.this was light years before 'Three Points of Contact" and i'd come out of the truck seeing how far i could shoot myself out when making a stop( my feet and knees are paying the price for this now)
Supervisors and loss Prevention were also much worse about following drivers on area.

JackStraw

Bulkhead door was NEVER shut,and during the heat of summer i;d often deliver my neighborhoods in the afternoon and evenings with both the bulkhead and back door open to create a breeze.
there was NO power steering,no automatics and the steps and rear bumper were very high off the ground.this was light years before 'Three Points of Contact" and i'd come out of the truck seeing how far i could shoot myself out when making a stop( my feet and knees are paying the price for this now)
Supervisors and loss Prevention were also much worse about following drivers on area.
When we first got the key fob, a sup said it was going to save 15 minutes a day not having to open the BH door. I told him "I drove around with my bulk-head door open for 25 years, It ain't gonna make a damms worth of difference"