What was your proudest moment at UPS? On Topic Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A couple were walking down the road on the rural part of my route, looking for their lost dog. They said it had gotten away while still dragging a leash behind, so they were scared of the leash tangling on a tree or bush and trapping the dog. They gave me a description, and I promised to keep an eye out. Every day for a week I saw that couple, walking the roads, looking and calling for the dog. It was summer, and hot, so had the dog gotten tangled it was in danger of dying of thirst. On Friday I made a delivery to a customer and noticed a dog matching the description tied to his porch, with food and water and an old pillow to lie on. The customer said it had wandered onto his property a few days earlier dragging a leash. I knew where I had seen the couple searching earlier in the day, and deduced where I thought they would be at that time (which was not too far away) so I put the dog in the back and took off looking for them. I found them walking thecroad near where I thought they would be, looking and calling for their dog. I pulled up next to them, opened the bulkhead door, and their dog jumped out right in front of them. They cried. I cried. We hugged. It was awesome. It turned out that the dogs collar had gotten twisted on its neck, they had their phone # engraved on a brass plate riveted to the collar but the customer who found the dog didnt see it because the collar was on inside out and had no other tags on it. This was in the days before microchips, and before cell phones were commonplace, so it was truly miraculous that I was able to play a part in reuniting it with its owners who had spent a whole week hiking back roads in search of it.

Inthegame

A couple were walking down the road on the rural part of my route, looking for their lost dog. They said it had gotten away while still dragging a leash behind, so they were scared of the leash tangling on a tree or bush and trapping the dog. They gave me a description, and I promised to keep an eye out. Every day for a week I saw that couple, walking the roads, looking and calling for the dog. It was summer, and hot, so had the dog gotten tangled it was in danger of dying of thirst. On Friday I made a delivery to a customer and noticed a dog matching the description tied to his porch, with food and water and an old pillow to lie on. The customer said it had wandered onto his property a few days earlier dragging a leash. I knew where I had seen the couple searching earlier in the day, and deduced where I thought they would be at that time (which was not too far away) so I put the dog in the back and took off looking for them. I found them walking thecroad near where I thought they would be, looking and calling for their dog. I pulled up next to them, opened the bulkhead door, and their dog jumped out right in front of them. They cried. I cried. We hugged. It was awesome. It turned out that the dogs collar had gotten twisted on its neck, they had their phone # engraved on a brass plate riveted to the collar but the customer who found the dog didnt see it because the collar was on inside out and had no other tags on it. This was in the days before microchips, and before cell phones were commonplace, so it was truly miraculous that I was able to play a part in reuniting it with its owners who had spent a whole week hiking back roads in search of it.
That's good stuff! And I only tried to save some guy from a burning car (he already jumped out, long story)... but damn that's good stuff, you got me crying!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
that is what me proud of being a UPS driver. not only are we considered the best , the majority of employees are good people that want to help people if they can.

rod

Retired 22 years
I got a drunk and his wife out of a pickup that was on its side in the ditch. They wanted to take me back to the bar and buy me a beer (does that count?).

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I was delivering to a retirement home and they were unloading people off off the buss , they were taking a woman in a wheelchair down the lift when an old guy went nuts and started freaking out, he was literaly going to push the woman off the ramp, I grabbed the woman in the wheel chair before she fell off, then grabbed and held the crazy person till there people could get control of the situation. The lady would have been severely injured if not killed if she her chair fell from the lift.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I don't know what my proudest moment is, I've had a few over the years. I was happy to finally make full time as a package driver in '84 being newly wed. My 25 year anniversary was cool, eventually followed by 30, 35, and finally 40 years. I feel like I'm more of a survivor that has outlasted many people over that time. Circle of Honor is a big one too. I'm in no way a perfect driver, but I am better than most. A lot of my fellow Circle of Honor drivers say that I am very skillful behind the wheel, that means a lot to me.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
It was quite a few years ago during the winter. The roads were sheets of ice from freezing fog.
An older gentleman slid off the road and had rolled his pickup out in the field to the side of the road. People in front of me just passed on by.
I stopped and ran over to the vehicle. He was trying to crawl out the driver's side door however the pickup was resting on the passenger side. He was not getting out.
I noticed the windshield was shattered and hanging loose in one corner so I grabbed hold and pulled the glass the rest of the way off so he could get out.
It wasn't a big deal to me but he would always thank me when he saw me and always gave me a soda when I delivered the convenience store he worked in.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
finding little johnny's medicine buried in a trailer so he could go to school in the morning and single crying mom waiting at the counter at 9 oclock at night wouldn't lose her job if she had to call in sick again. also showing up at moms door dressed in browns 2 months after she handed me an add cut out of the paper for temporary ups xmas help and told me "son it's a good union job"

rod

Retired 22 years
The day I did a complete 360 going 40 mph down an icy country road and then waving back at the car that had been coming toward me as he gave me a thumbs up. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

noahgw92

That is an awesome story! I'm looking forward to telling others about you paying it forward.

Savvy412

i forgot this proud moment. when i told my parents i got hired at UPS after banging around from job to job for years. i never realized how important that was going to be to them.
Haha I know.my family was so happy too. My wife's dad loves me . He loves I'm a ups driver

L

Littlearrowdown

Delivered a nda package from the White House to a mother who lost her son in Iraq.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Doing an extended route for my first time ever and making service on everything. It might not seem like a big deal to a lot of you, but going out and doing 113 stops and over 300 miles when you dont even know where you're going is pretty neat. I was always intimidated by extended routes until then.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Doing an extended route for my first time ever and making service on everything. It might not seem like a big deal to a lot of you, but going out and doing 113 stops and over 300 miles when you dont even know where you're going is pretty neat. I was always intimidated by extended routes until then.
That's a lot of miles for that many stops. Was it town hopping? Our 300 milers usually don't go out with more than 75 or else it's impossible for guys to make service.

Status
Not open for further replies.