What went wrong?

dezguy

Yes. Things are not as they were when Express started. I understand that many wish it were, but it isn't and never will be again. Everything that made Express special was icing on the cake. People are no longer interested in icing or cake. They're expectations are lowering to, "Pick up and deliver my damn packages."

While I agree, we're still being fed the same bs from corporate. We constantly have talking heads from HQ at our sta telling us how our customer service is superior to that of UPS and Purolator when, in reality, we're all the same. If anything UPS has surpassed us in taking care of the customer. Purolator has always sucked at customer service and always will so long as they're owned by the government.

TUT

People absolutely are willing to pay more to receive a superior product or service. Not everyone wants to drive a Yugo, so some will pay extra for the BMW.

Some do. But most don't. Reference Wal Mart and Amazon to start with and then well just common sense, since most aren't making more money and costs in general are rising. Gucci should ship Express and if they don't that's a sad joke to. They'll charge their customers through the nose and then nickle and dime the vendors. Probably one-ply in the office restroom.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Some do. But most don't. Reference Wal Mart and Amazon to start with and then well just common sense, since most aren't making more money and costs in general are rising. Gucci should ship Express and if they don't that's a sad joke to. They'll charge their customers through the nose and then nickle and dime the vendors. Probably one-ply in the office restroom.

There will always be a market for premium services, but suppliers have to actually provide those services...reliably. Express can't do that. Just ask the surgery patient who doesn't get his 0800 FO package until mid-afternoon. Fred doesn't care, but that patient and his doctor do.

Fred has strapped a Ferrari body onto a Yugo chassis and hopes nobody notices the difference...they do.

bbsam

Staff member
Fred is that surfer dude milking out a long run on a wave of 'excellent reputation' FedEx once was. Well the wave is crashing down and the rocks are coming up fast.
Oh, stop. That line has literally been spread around here for years. Yeah, there are some customers irate and disgusted with what FedEx has become but for most, the new normal has been here for a long, long time. It's natural that front line employees feel the sting far more fiercely. You live with both the memory of what was and the reality of what is all day every day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Oh, stop. That line has literally been spread around here for years. Yeah, there are some customers irate and disgusted with what FedEx has become but for most, the new normal has been here for a long, long time. It's natural that front line employees feel the sting far more fiercely. You live with both the memory of what was and the reality of what is all day every day.

Right. Keep pushing that "new normal" BS until we all buy it....no. Ground is the guy in a trenchcoat on the beach taking pictures of little girls while Fred tries to ride the remnants of what used to be a pretty good wave. You're the guy who buys the pictures and sells them to Fred, who then re-sells them for an even bigger profit.
Bottom feeders...all of you.

bbsam

Staff member
Right. Keep pushing that "new normal" BS until we all buy it....no. Ground is the guy in a trenchcoat on the beach taking pictures of little girls while Fred tries to ride the remnants of what used to be a pretty good wave. You're the guy who buys the pictures and sells them to Fred, who then re-sells them for an even bigger profit.
That's just idiotic rage spurred on by sorry, moldy impotence.

P

prodriver

I've read many of your post you seem for the most part to make some effort to make your point but that is pure bitterness and total crap to use that analogy.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've read many of your post you seem for the most part to make some effort to make your point but that is pure bitterness and total crap to use that analogy.

Not really. Ground is full of bottom feeders. If you're an exception to the rule, so be it, but the average Ground driver looks like Cousin Eddie and acts like Cousin Eddie. The contractors are just bottom feeders who have sold-out their fellow bottom feeders. The shark cruising the tank takes in the most cash from the scam...plus he gets to kill things and get away with it.

TUT

Some do. But most don't. Reference Wal Mart and Amazon to start with and then well just common sense, since most aren't making more money and costs in general are rising. Gucci should ship Express and if they don't that's a sad joke to.
There will always be a market for premium services, but suppliers have to actually provide those services...reliably. Express can't do that. Just ask the surgery patient who doesn't get his 0800 FO package until mid-afternoon. Fred doesn't care, but that patient and his doctor do.

Fred has strapped a Ferrari body onto a Yugo chassis and hopes nobody notices the difference...they do.

Fedex Express is still the #1 leader in overnight deliveries I believe. I have to assume a ton of medical companies are using Fedex. So when you say "Express can't do that. Just ask the surgery patient who doesn't get his 0800 FO package until mid-afternoon" sure that happens at times. But how many times? And how often are surgeons scheduling surgery the day the parts arrive? And why are they that irresponsible understanding logistics?

But in general, most of the time it does make it on-time. And no one is really doing it better, equal perhaps, but not better. IMO and I'm sorry that you don't like this, you are still the state of Overnight, it's accepted and it is used. It's not like there isn't Express Business, it's just that it's not a large growing sector anymore. Like HP, they still build a ton of PC's, it's just not a growth sector and that is where Shareholders can mess up well oiled operations simply because sustainable growth is no longer possible in a saturated market and that is all they care about. That part does upset me.

The real reason why there isn't growth is cost, you have those that are willing to pay or able to pay for premium services already in your pocket. If you dropped your price Express price to ground levels, you'd see crazy growth, but then you are losing money. For your world to be right, if you dropped cost to ground levels you wouldn't see sustained growth because your service just sucks so bad, no one wants it. That isn't the case. It's cost.

From my position we have never considered dropping Fedex Express service because of your performance. If it was that bad, we'd get the feedback and we would start considering over a pretty substantial period of time. This just doesn't come up, it's not a problem for us, it's not perfect, but it's acceptable.

It isn't what you want to hear, but think about it. If you were that bad, your business would really dry up. I can go grab financials and see that not only Express isn't shrinking, but revenue wise it is still growing some. So when someone thinks their argument is right, you have a scoreboard that is published every 3 months. You can see people are not running fast from the service you supply. Shouldn't that just be the bottom line in a discussion like this?

Serf

Just my .02 cents. All the heavy bulk stops I do are Medical places here in the Northeast. And they all have said the same thing numerous times. When it comes to overnight and international shipping you guys are the best. We had UPS in here before, and than DHL. They kept screwing up, or messing with our cut off times.

fedupforsure

I used to do whatever it took. Now I can hardly force myself to go to work each day. When PSP went out the door (about 10 years ago) so did my give a damn. When courier involvement went out the window I just said, oh well, I will do it your way but guess what this wont work. I actually makes me kind of sad cuz I used to be proud to work for this company. Now I just cash my depleted paycheck.i am very glad I am close to retirement.