What Will It Take To Get The Truth Out On FedEx?

vantexan

In terms of amount of freight most FedEx rts don't compare. But most FedEx rts also have at least several UPS rts within their boundaries. There's only so much a person can do in a day and with greater distances and time pressures the average FedEx courier is under the gun to perform. And in return for that, plus working at least one sort, plus dealing with delayed start times, etc we are expected to just get by with low pay and minimal benefits. Even our Peak is different because even though UPS works hard for Peak, the last few days before Christmas they slow considerably as people rush to get their pkgs delivered on time through FedEx. So they get to enjoy their Christmas while we even work Christmas Day some years. Bottom line if you are trying to justify Ground getting low pay by suggesting we get paid more than we deserve then you truly are not only unfamiliar with what we do but are just as much a businessman as FedEx corporate types who justify stagnate pay and gutted benefits as ok because they were paying us too much anyways. As long as they get their's, and you get your's, all is right in the world, huh?

Should be stagnant, not stagnate.

SmithBarney

It is far below 31 an hour and when you figure in our ins premiums, it's closer to 20. Most of us don't complain about the topout rate just the time it takes to get there. It's sad year after year with ins premium increases you do not see your income go up. It just flat lines .

And if you factor in a large percentage of CRRs in the less than topout, it's more like $9-15/hr after healthcare.

SmithBarney

Note, if you will, that you are the first to challenge my assertion that, "No way in hell most Express routes even come close to what UPS drivers do." So I am of the opinion that I am correct and your route was in fact the exception to the rule. Agree?

BBSAM, I've done both within the last 10 years. What a Express CRR does and What a UPS driver does, is only comparable from the outside.
From the outside it just looks like either driver drives around delivering whatever is in the truck.

From the inside, and Express courier is constantly making decisions regarding making up to 6 commit times for various levels of service across
multiple service areas with differing times. Some routes are heavy some are light. Drivers typically load their own truck(some stations have staggered starts
where some drivers will load another drivers load for a while before they come in)
From the inside UPS drivers battle heavy volume, in a vehicle hopefully loaded correctly, some routes require time management to hit NDA commits, and pickup
schedules.

Both require extensive route knowledge, I can say from experience, that it was much easier to run routes at UPS, only because you basically hit every street on your route every day(rural routes being the exception, sometimes) At Express, I find myself(and even senior CRRs) looking up stops, because you might not remember where Bumdiddly road is, cause you only go there once in a blue moon.

At UPS You and your body earn every dollar.
At Express at current top out rate, you are paid fairly for your work, unfortunately it becomes no longer fair with pay progression.

Like I said both have their challenges, I would Say Express:UPS Brains:Brawn not to say you don't use your head at UPS, but honestly
the complexity of time management is much more challenging at Express. I'd say 90% of the guys at Express wouldn't make it one day at UPS.
Probably cause the median age at my STA is close to 60yrs old...

SmithBarney

all that can really be done is to slowdown, sitdown, and do the minimum amount possible.

Unfortunately the only ones working slow, and doing the minimal amount at our STA are the Topped out CRRs, laziest bunch I've ever worked with.
make one mention of how they should work harder(since the swings finish 2 hours before they do on the same route with more stops) and they
try to file a harassment against ya.

SmithBarney

Let me dumb down the "market rate" bit for you. UPS pays what they pay because of the union contract. No other reason. FedEx has kept wages stagnant for one reason only: because they can. They can fill the positions for what they are willing to pay and do not have to answer to a union. That is "market rate".

Wrong UPS pays what they pay, because they CAN. If they couldn't afford it, they wouldn't never agree to the contracts! Look at the Auto Industry as a Case of UNIONS messing things up, they got into agreements that they couldn't afford when the market turned... Now the same thing could happen if suddenly there was a lets say 20-40% drop in shipping revenue etc.. Unfortunately the Auto industry doesn't operate like the Shipping industry, The Shipping industry is driven by a different kind of market, So it doesn't seem like that is going to happen, since shipping of "stuff" is still happening and happening alot. And since things like Fuel surcharges and constantly rising shipping rates keep the company cash flow in the right direction.