what would you do

dillweed

Answer me this City, if it was a middle easterener (let's say arab and you can fill in any number of scenarios) that had made a negative comment to someone and you overheard it, would you not report that as well? I bet you would.

City, it took me a few readings to figure this one out. I feel she was asking that if another minority made the remark to the black man would you feel as strongly about it as you did when the white man said it. Does that make sense? Dil - have I got it right?

I don't believe that Dil meant any harm or was trying to back you into any type of corner. She was just trying to dig a little deeper into the topic and maybe pull out a few more remarks/feelings. It's the fun of the forum. I've never seen Dil just haul off and attack for no reason.

So, do minorities of any type have more right to be racial than whites? Nope.

If I had seen this I'd ask the black man if he knew the remark maker and was it a joke. It wasn't a joke I'd let him know he had a witness if needed.

I've often heard people of all races slam each other at work but they ended up being good friends and the punches were all in fun.

City Driver

City, I will try to come up with a better way of saying what I wanted to. Black slavery is (or at least it should be) a thing of the past. Racial prejudice towards blacks is very uncommon in my part of the world. I know it still exists, that goes without saying. Just as prejudice exists towards Mexicans, Asians, and the list goes on.

I used the middle eastern situation because it is a hot topic and has been for a few years. It is a more current situation and I thought you could associate better with that. I have no idea of your age or upbringing or your life experiences. Being 'white' has nothing to do with loving this country or defending the premise that it stands on. It has to do with being American. Not Hispanic American, Black American (excuse me if that was not pc), or any other classification of American.

ok i understand that but just because its a hot topic you automatically assumed i would go and report a middle eastern person when i already said i wont report the white guy who did this

you made a big assumption about me with absolutely no basis when you said "i bet you would report the middle eastern person for doing it"

CD, I think you are missing Dilli's point. She is portraying the middle eastern person as the brunt of the joke, not the joke maker.

that would make more sense but thats not what she said..she said the middle eastern person was the one making the remark

Answer me this City, if it was a middle easterener (let's say arab and you can fill in any number of scenarios) that had made a negative comment to someone and you overheard it, would you not report that as well? I bet you would.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dill, you are right. I was not trying to back City into a corner. I was simply trying to make a comparison that is more current. I don't generally attack unless provoked. And then I will defend myself, relentlessly. I apologize City if I offended you. I was not trying to make any asssumptions, but I can see how you would feel that way. :peaceful:

I am not an eloquent speaker. Not like some that post here.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
It doesn't really matter what the race of either was. Racial comments are wrong and everyone is aware of that. IMO it would be the responsibility of the person the comments were directed at to report it. I would stand by them if they chose to do so. I can't believe a guy would be stupid enough to say something like that to anyone, regardless of knowing them or not.

over9five

Staff member
Wow, I can't believe that really happened. My first thought was they were pulling one over on you, but you did say you knew the black man, and it was the white mans first time there.

OK, if it had been me there as the witness, I would have said something right there to back the black man up.
My first thought was to bring white guy aside and talk to him, but if he really is one of those "good 'ol boys", you ain't gonna change his prejudice.
So after I backed the black man up in the washroom, I would have taken him aside after, and suggested we report this together to management.

over9five

Staff member
I've known Dilli for quite a while. She was not trying to back anyone into a corner or offend anyone. Knowing her, I did not take her post that way.

All is good!

City Driver

all im saying is dilligaf assumed i would report a middle eastern man, simply because hes middle eastern

thats it....its not a big deal really but it is what it is

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
all im saying is dilligaf assumed i would report a middle eastern man, simply because hes middle eastern

thats it....its not a big deal really but it is what it is
Well, technically I asked if you would. So I really didn't assume anything. You wouldn't, so it is what it is.

P

pickup

ok this is no joke.....i witnessed something VERY immature and stupid by a driver last week

i was washing my hands in the bathroom...a black driver walks in...then a white, lets just say good ol boy, whos never been to our terminal, walks in

black driver grabs paper towels, damps it and starts wiping his face

and billy bob said "you can wipe all you want that poopskin aint comin off"

black driver handled it the best way possible in my opinion.....at work atleast...something along the lines of "that is racist, that is harrasment, i have a witness here(me) and if you ever say something like that to me again ill make sure you dont have a job"

white guy walks out without saying anything else......i ask the black driver if he knew that guy and he said no....and the white guy had told me earlier in the day that it was his first time coming to our terminal

so im asking....would you of reported it? not from my standpoint, i mean if you were the black driver would you report it?

by the way before somebody says it, i dont think I should report it......its not my business but if the black guy was to report it and they did ask me if i heard what he said i would tell them exactly what the guy said

to me, the whole "dont snitch on your union brothers" thing goes out the window when they disrespect the hell out of 1 or more of their union brothers

first of all, we don't use the term "black" anymore. African American is the preferred term. I am deeply offended. Hello, moderators, do your jobs.:surprised:

DorkHead

Wow, I can't believe that really happened. My first thought was they were pulling one over on you, but you did say you knew the black man, and it was the white mans first time there.

OK, if it had been me there as the witness, I would have said something right there to back the black man up.
My first thought was to bring white guy aside and talk to him, but if he really is one of those "good 'ol boys", you ain't gonna change his prejudice.
So after I backed the black man up in the washroom, I would have taken him aside after, and suggested we report this together to management.

Ditto. This is the correct answer.

UPSGUY72

I'd mine my own business. If the other guy wants to report the idiot than he can use you as a witness otherwise it's over and done move on. The guy that said those thing will eventually say something to the wrong person and get in trouble or maybe he was just fooling around with the black guy and they do know each other. Whatever it is mind your own business.

ups1990

Citydriver. I would do nothing at this point. The person offended has said, that if it happens again, he will file a charge. From your statement, it seems he made it very clear, this better not happen again. My bet is this guy say's these things often and will repeat them somewhere else.

This idiot, has put the two of you in a compromising position. If he, decides to put this charge on paper, you'll probably have to put your statements in writting and sign it. Who knows how people within the Union and company will take it.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I'd mine my own business.

This is the problem with people now-a-days, it didn't happen to me so its not my problem. I would have reported this incident and mention to HR that IF the offending party wants to file a complaint then I would be available if any more information is needed.

Racial,sexual, or any kind of harassment will not be tolerated in today's working environment. I don't feel the need to advise the offended person I reported the incident. If he wants to report this person,HR can put two and two together.

UPSGUY72

This is the problem with people now-a-days, it didn't happen to me so its not my problem. I would have reported this incident and mention to HR that IF the offending party wants to file a complaint then I would be available if any more information is needed.

Racial,sexual, or any kind of harassment will not be tolerated in today's working environment. I don't feel the need to advise the offended person I reported the incident. If he wants to report this person,HR can put two and two together.

What planent are you from it's the other way around these day everybody wants to stick there nose into everyone elses business and tell them what they should and shouldn't do.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
it's the other way around these day everybody wants to stick there nose into everyone elses business

I'm only saying that since he was present at said incident, reporting this would be the right thing to do. How this would equate into getting involved in other people's business is way out in left field.

I'm only saying that since he was present at said incident, reporting this would be the right thing to do. How this would equate into getting involved in other people's business is way out in left field.
Sorry, I don't know what team you play on but left field is way out there with the people that do not mind their own business, especially when the offended can take care of themselves. Back the offended up? You bet, in a heartbeat. Tell him he has to report it (which is in effect what would happen if you reported it) no way.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

over9five detailed how I would have handled this situation...

This behavior is 100% unacceptable.

Behavior uncorrected is reinforced as acceptable. The "good 'ol boy" may have felt safe to make such a comment because you had "bonded" in an earlier brief conversation.

In a strange perverted way, the 'ol boy may think you are now "buds".

I am willing to bet the next time he sees you...he already feels a brotherhood with you. Let him come to you...be kind...say hello. Then explain to him that his behavior was unacceptable as a UPSer and as a human.