What would you do ?????

Ms Spoken

UPS delivered a package this past Friday to my house and the dogs chewed up the parcel. On Friday it was raining with a mix of snow and the coverage driver noted that he left package in garage. My husband just found the package in front yard and the contents are all chewed up.

Here is where I have a trouble. Should I take what is left of the package to the center manager and see what he says? I tracked the package on the UPS web site and it shows the pkg driver released in the garage. There is no way this coverage driver placed this pkg in the garage the box shows obvious signs of water damage. The last thing I want to do is get another driver in trouble. I dont feel that we should have to pay for it.

What would you do?

over9five

Staff member
In this case you are the customer. Call the shipper and tell them you received it damaged. They can send you a new one and claim it thru UPS. Don't bring it to the center manager, you are a customer-NOT an employee.

moreluck

golden ticket member
It's probably hard for you being in a dual role. Just put yourself in the customer role. As a customer only, what would you do?

Now, as a driver, what would you tell your customer to do if they told you this story? Wouldn't happen with you as the driver??

Then don't worry about getting a driver in trouble and do your customer thing. The driver needs to give good service and if he/she is not, then they need to be told.

JMHO

Ms Spoken

UPSmeoff said:
could the dog have dragged the pkg out of the garage into the yard?

I asked my hubby that same question and he said there was no way the dog could have got to the package. The contents were found 20 yrds away from the house and the box was at least 30 yrds the other direction.

As a customer, this sure does makes us respect our reg. driver. As a UPS driver this accident pisses me off that this coverage driver lied on were he left the package. There was no rain bag to cover this box from the elements.

I will be speaking to this junior driver tomorrow and find out what happend.

xracer

If this cover driver stands behind his delivery records and says that it was a good DR that was left in your garage then you should follow the proper channels and call the shipper to have them initiate a claim with UPS and replace the package for you. If the driver admits that it was his mistake give him the opportunity to replace the contents for you at his cost if he would like to otherwise it seems that you would have no choice but to proceed with the damage claim process with the shipper because as a customer you are paying for a service and you should recieve what you paid good money for.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Several different thoughts.

1. Dont confront the driver, what good will it do. More than likely he presheeted a bunch of packages and garage was where he thought he left yours. If he cant remember where he left it in a two hour span, what makes you think he will remember over a weekend? Its not worth creating a hostile environment with this other driver.

2. There are specific ways to handle a claim. You have a claim. So follow the proper methods to file the claim. Contact the shipper, and file your claim. The proper chanels work well if used.

3. IF the situation happens again, then take the next step and contact the center manager or delivery sup and make them aware of the situation. Request a certain DR location to be added to your delivery address. They will add that information to your address and every time your address is punched into the diad, it will show where the driver is to leave the package.

d

UPSmeoff

So where do you think the cover driver left the pkg? I find it hard to believe that he just threw it into the yard.
Stranger things have happened though.

UPSmeoff

Im not trying to make it sound like you shouldnt file a claim. Im not trying to come across as not believing you. i do.
just curious.

Ms Spoken

We have a three car shop that the side door is always unlocked and my regular driver knows to leave my pkgs there or to give them to me at work. We also have a two car attached garage with a side door. My guess is that he pulled up the drive and left the pkg at this side door. My front door is a bit of a walk to get to so it only makes since to leave it at the side.

There will be no hostile words spoken with this coverage driver because I was once in his/her shoes. I really dont think he knew it was mine because it had my husbands name on the package.

Danny I will talk with a driver sup to see who I need to speak with to have a delv note but in the diad after all this passes. Does anyone want a black lab that chews everything thats not nailed down? He really is a good pup just has trouble leaving things alone, so I feel part of this pkg problem is my fault.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The pup did what pups do. the cover driver should have been more careful maybe, but maybe he had other things on his mind and figured that here was good enough when he should have put it there.

A kind word from a more experienced driver never hurts, but if not careful, it can create problems. Stuff like this will happen, that is why we carry insurance. And as long as it is under $1000, or the driver does not have a large string of bad DR's, then he will not have to pay for the claim anyway.

d

UPSmeoff

One of the funniest things ive seen was a huge bulldog that completely destroyed a box with some clothes in it. I thought he was locked up and by the time i realized he wasnt, i wasnt about to go back to save the pkg. It was either the box or my leg. Remembering that dog with a shirt flung onto his back still makes me laugh. He destroyed that box completely in about 8 seconds.

tieguy

Banned
I'm curious as to why the driver would say he left the package in the garage if he did not. Why not list the porch or side door or whatever the actual location of the delivery?

outta hours

Tie- maybe the driver pushed the wrong button. Easy to do and as we all know once you hit stop complete you cannot edit anything. Great software application. Probably designed by the genius that on DIAD 4 allows all the other keys to be active after you hit the signature button. Happens all day long people go to sign and their hand hits a button and screws up the signature. The stop complete button is also too small and you hit the void signature button. I get so tired of it asking Void signature? Great example of poor design by someone who never has to use it.

InTheRed

you know that if you change your mind/make a mistake you can just resheet the package as 'duplicate stop' to make any corrections/adjustments. I was told to do this once when my finger slipped and i pressed "office" instead of "residential" at an apartment air saver at about 5pm. I've done this tons of times and no one has said a word to me about any wrong-doing.

laborer

InTheRed said:
you know that if you change your mind/make a mistake you can just resheet the package as 'duplicate stop' to make any corrections/adjustments. I was told to do this once when my finger slipped and i pressed "office" instead of "residential" at an apartment air saver at about 5pm. I've done this tons of times and no one has said a word to me about any wrong-doing.
You can also go in edit and simply void the package and then resheet it. This deletes the package out of your package totals and eliminates the stop(it still shows in the DIAD)but it doesn't inflate your package totals. You don't want anyone saying your inflating the numbers...

tieguy

Banned
If the driver is doing a sloppy job of delivering the package then he should be called on it. Looking the other way just means our customers keep getting crappy service. We don't stay in business unless we provide good service.