What would you do?

brownieworker

I have been an unloader for 6 years at UPS. I am now going through the process to be a mechanic which they said is in a different local. I would lose my senority. Do I wait another 5 years to see a driving job? Or do I chance it on more money and poopy hours? Is anybody a mechanic out there for UPS? Would it be a good move in your opinion?

I have been an unloader for 6 years at UPS. I am now going through the process to be a mechanic which they said is in a different local. I would lose my senority. Do I wait another 5 years to see a driving job? Or do I chance it on more money and poopy hours? Is anybody a mechanic out there for UPS? Would it be a good move in your opinion?

I would take the job.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Your decision but if you become a mechanic, you will have transportable skills that can give you flexibility in the choices you can make 10, 15, 20, 25 years from now. Whatever the difference in pay, it is negligible and from someone who is further on down the road - money ain't everything.
Everyone at UPS gets pressure put on them but my observation is that a driver has to deal with a lot more stress and BS than a mechanic.

Your decision but if you become a mechanic, you will have transportable skills that can give you flexibility in the choices you can make 10, 15, 20, 25 years from now. Whatever the difference in pay, it is negligible and from someone who is further on down the road - money ain't everything.
Everyone at UPS gets pressure put on them but my observation is that a driver has to deal with a lot more stress and BS than a mechanic.
+1

Good post Hoax.

One of our mechanics put in a small repair shop at his home and worked a few hours a day after clocking out at UPS. His business began to grow, he later moved the shop to a commercial area and hired another mech to help. When he retires from UPS he already has an established business to fill the gap between retirement pay and what he wants as an income as well as extra income now.

PE Pro

I don't know of any UPS auto mechanics that would want to be package car drivers. If you go to auto at least you may eventually get a day job. Most package car drivers never get decent hours. At least in my area. Would you be going from the Teamsters to the Machinists?

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Good post Hoax.

One of our mechanics put in a small repair shop at his home and worked a few hours a day after clocking out at UPS. His business began to grow, he later moved the shop to a commercial area and hired another mech to help. When he retires from UPS he already has an established business to fill the gap between retirement pay and what he wants as an income as well as extra income now.

There probably no gap in retirement pay. Machinists retirement is usually more than they make working. Having some additional income through the business is a still a good thing. It's kind of sad that most teamsters retirement is far less, even though the contribution rate is about the same.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I don't know of any UPS auto mechanics that would want to be package car drivers. If you go to auto at least you may eventually get a day job. Most package car drivers never get decent hours. At least in my area. Would you be going from the Teamsters to the Machinists?

Hmmm. All package drivers work during the day. Almost all auto mechanics work at night.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Mechanics make the same as drivers(top rate), and god forbid UPS ever closes house, you have something to fall back on.

Mechanics make more per hour than a mechanic. But the down/up side is that there is minimal overtime in being a mechanic. You work 8 and go home, unless you get an road call.

tieguy

Banned

skilled full time job versus part time package handling job?

upssup

The hours would be the worst part. I was a machinist mechanic at a hub and I had to work nights and would have for at least the next ten years! If you are going to be a teamster mechanic it is more than likely going to be the same scenario, in fact most of the Teamster mechanics after about 5 to 6 years wind up bidding a Driving job.