What would you have done?

PPH_over_9000

So I'm on my most dreaded route. The loop ran 196 miles, averaging about 4-5mi per stop. Rural as hell, nothing makes sense to me but I do what I can to get it done.

Halfway through the day, I'm driving down a road that ends up closed due to road work. Like, completely closed, bunch of tractors and mountains of gravel right behind the closure signs. My stop is about half a mile past that point. So I turned around and tried to figure out an alternate route (this is an incredible weakness of the new DIADs, every time I opened the map feature and zoomed out, I would completely lose track of my current location like an idiot.) So, I backtracked about 7 miles trying to get close enough to get my DIAD to tell me to come from the other way. No go. In the end, I U-turned again, came right back to the road closure signs and called my supe before sheeting the rest of the stops I had down that road as "No Access."

When I return to the building, I walk into a phone call between the OMS and one of these customers who was currently calling in a concern. She kept saying that the road was open if I come from the other way, but I literally could not find that other way.

It's stressing me out and I'm just curious, what would some of you grizzled vets do in this kind of situation? Should I even be stressin' or am I just letting the job get the best of me?

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
If you don’t know the route and the area you did what you could. Clock out and forget about it. Once I put the diad up last thing I think about is ups. Honeslty I would not have even tried to find another way around. I would have called management and told them the situation. Now if it’s your everyday route and you know a way around that’s a different story

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
So I'm on my most dreaded route. The loop ran 196 miles, averaging about 4-5mi per stop. Rural as hell, nothing makes sense to me but I do what I can to get it done.

Halfway through the day, I'm driving down a road that ends up closed due to road work. Like, completely closed, bunch of tractors and mountains of gravel right behind the closure signs. My stop is about half a mile past that point. So I turned around and tried to figure out an alternate route (this is an incredible weakness of the new DIADs, every time I opened the map feature and zoomed out, I would completely lose track of my current location like an idiot.) So, I backtracked about 7 miles trying to get close enough to get my DIAD to tell me to come from the other way. No go. In the end, I U-turned again, came right back to the road closure signs and called my supe before sheeting the rest of the stops I had down that road as "No Access."

When I return to the building, I walk into a phone call between the OMS and one of these customers who was currently calling in a concern. She kept saying that the road was open if I come from the other way, but I literally could not find that other way.

It's stressing me out and I'm just curious, what would some of you grizzled vets do in this kind of situation.

(Before anyone says "Read a map!" I'd just like to point out that I would if I were provided with one. I don't use my phone on-route unless I need to speak with a supervisor ASAP.)
Why didn’t you ask the workers if they knew another way in? Why not use your phones GPS?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If you don’t know the route and the area you did what you could. Clock out and forget about it. Once I put the diad up last thing I think about is ups. Honeslty I would not have even tried to find another way around. I would have called management and told them the situation. Now if it’s your everyday route and you know a way around that’s a different story
Road Closed and kept on Truckin

PPH_over_9000

Why didn’t you ask the workers if they knew another way in? Why not use your phones GPS?

There were no workers! The road was just closed, it was mind boggling.

I don't use my phone for directions. "In-cab distraction," they call it, and we've already got Lytx cameras in all of our package cars.

UnionStrong

There were no workers! The road was just closed, it was mind boggling.

I don't use my phone for directions. "In-cab distraction," they call it, and we've already got Lytx cameras in all of our package cars.
Oooooooh! Then you’re good. You exhausted all options apparently.

PPH_over_9000

He coulda walked. It was only half a mile. Just sayin.

Half a mile at least. This is the type of route where the DIAD leads you to a driveway and tells you you've arrived, meanwhile you're looking down a "driveway" that runs anywhere from a quarter mile to a mile and a half into the woods or through a field. There was no telling what kind of situation I would've stumbled into on that walk.

I swear to God, there were two next door neighbors I delivered to that were 3.7 miles away from each other even though their driveway entrances were about 60ft apart.

UnionStrong

Half a mile at least. This is the type of route where the DIAD leads you to a driveway and tells you you've arrived, meanwhile you're looking down a "driveway" that runs anywhere from a quarter mile to a mile and a half into the woods or through a field. There was no telling what kind of situation I would've stumbled into on that walk.
Vicious dogs

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I woulda just started walking from where the road was closed.
We have a private island here that gets deliveries and the packages just get left on the office where the ferry takes you to the island.

We had a junior driver first time out there put the packages on a dolly and walk onto the ferry and rode the ferry to the island and started delivering. The private island spans 6 miles across.

The junior driver told me someone looked at him and told him “you got a long day ahead of you.”

He calls the center manager and he was pissed. The ferry only travels certain times of the day. He was stuck on the island for 4 hours. By the time he got back to the truck management already came and cleaned the truck out.

He got to the island around 5 o’clock.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

It's stressing me out and I'm just curious, what would some of you grizzled vets do in this kind of situation? Should I even be stressin' or am I just letting the job get the best of me?
You’re off the clock, a meteor can hit the building, they aren’t calling you

Go home and leave this drama to people who get paid to deal with it.

Whither

Scofflaw
We have a private island here that gets deliveries and the packages just get left on the office where the ferry takes you to the island.

We had a junior driver first time out there put the packages on a dolly and walk onto the ferry and rode the ferry to the island and started delivering. The private island spans 6 miles across.

The junior driver told me someone looked at him and told him “you got a long day ahead of you.”

He calls the center manager and he was pissed. The ferry only travels certain times of the day. He was stuck on the island for 4 hours. By the time he got back to the truck management already came and cleaned the truck out.

He got to the island around 5 o’clock.
Driver is a legend!