What would you like to see.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
On that note, I would like to see the Union given the authority to request delivery records and lunch/break times of the known runner/gunners to make sure that they are not working when they are supposed to be on break. There are a few drivers in my center who would have a rude awakening--one of them worked 6.07 hours one day this past week with a 8.5 hr dispatch (we are not a bonus center).
you gotta better chance of getting a/c in the truck

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would like to see at least a $100 a month for every year I have worked and the ability to pension out at any age. I started in '75 and would fill my paperwork out Monday if we had that now.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Most of the wishes are a pipe dream. I would love to see those things as well. But the reality is we'll see longer progression on full scale, longer period of time for the benefits, and the 22.3's will disappear. They make no sense over here were I work. The sorts are too far apart to make them feasible. I'm sure it's the same in the majority of the mid to small sized hubs. The large hubs can make them work. I believe the 22.3's are a better option than part timers, because they're invested in their position. Part timers can take off and quit and they have to replace them...costs money. As long as UPS is running it's business quarter to quarter, get used to taking the sausage. If the union doesn't change that is. I think the union is a tad bit wuss in our workplace these days. But, there's no blatant mistreatment...at least not like in the days of the early union. We're the highest paid, best benefited, and one of the few workplaces that still have a pension. No one feels bad for us folks. It's all a pipe dream.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
They should pay insiders more then outsiders as seasonal drivers. I've been air driven for 5 yrs and going on 2 as a seasonal. Outsiders with no real experience, low performance, and no area knowledge drowning on our routes are making the same as me. What's up with that union???

What about the fact that I'm also a single day vacation cover driver but they only use me as seasonal so I don't get the higher pay on my 2nd yr.

I asked my union if they can use me as seasonal when I'm already a single day vaca cover driver. Response was sign seasonal if you want to work full time this summer. Whats up with that, so really the single day vaca. is an unused title with no real use. It has a higher pay scale after 900 hrs and in 2nd yr., ($18.45), but if they can get away with using me as seasonal then that title is a false promise.

This issue needs attention. Even if they can use me as seasonal instead, I feel that with my experience and being a driver already I should in my 2nd yr. as seasonal get some progression and make more then an off the street temp who will perform poorly and probably not b back.

Doesn't matter anyway cause maybe by next contract I won't b seasonal, hopefully. The way it is now as summer and peak goes, I'll b making same rate not even a cola gain till new 2013 contract.

Even if it wont aply to me in 2013 it should still b changed for our future insiders that drive seasonal.

I make more as an air driver but would rather b full time driven cause I hate waking up at 4A.M. and getting stuck with managers having no plan and clueless on how to distribute volumn of E.A.M.s among us. I also like haveing a real weekend and not waking up before the birds on SATURDAY morning. Plus I like the experience. I just feel like we should have better compensation as insiders doing this especially if we come back for peak and all following years as seasonal.

Maybe a different classification for us insiders that are already driven. If I didn't sign seasonal then some other outsider would just b doing it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I would like to see at least a $100 a month for every year I have worked and the ability to pension out at any age. I started in '75 and would fill my paperwork out Monday if we had that now.

Have that here in WI. 3K a month at 30. Any age. Not a huge pension but around here plenty if you play your cards right. Some take less to leave before 30. Have 2 leaving in fall with 25 and 26 years.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I would like to see drivers nationwide make an effort to take EVERY SECOND of their meal periods and breaks. Management wont enforce this (except in Cali) because most drivers that skip their lunch inflate the center's numbers. So, it's up to us drivers to respect our own contract.

I would like to c what happened in Cali to b a NATIONAL THING!!!!! Why isn't it. Are we really that pathetic or weak, Someone find out the lawfirm who handled that case and go for it.

I don't have the $$$ or resources but how many of you are making $40+ overtime, lots of vaca time, and not even thinking of trying this???

Do people enjoy the lunch drama tug of war thing with UPS??? There's already an established break period supported BY OUR GOVERNMENT without the union. WE JUST NEED PEOPLE TO PUSH FOT IT AND PROVE THAT UPS does everything they can to keep us from getting these rights by having no realistic time allowances and nagging about FAKE OVERALLOWED. Thanks to the runner gunners which these times are set from, not a safe full methodes driver!!!!!!!!!11

Fix this, the over 9.5 and the lowball allowance time and there would be many more FULL time positions available and a more enjoyable work envirornment. You wouldn't need the 22.3's cause there would be more full time routes.

Imagine having the time to be a quality service to our customers and even pulling in a few sales leads cause our minds would b more clear and fresh for a REAL PRESENTATION!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years

Just curious----whats stopping you from retiring now. Cost of medical?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Just curious----whats stopping you from retiring now. Cost of medical?

I'm 53, can't get it all for another 2 or three years. I was in Central States and now under IBT/UPS Plan, so that means I'm covered under three different plans. I would get penalized 12% if I go out now plus the cost of medical would take a big hunk too. I won't get my 8 years PT pension until I'm 65. I don't want to touch my investments at all right now.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

We have that option today in 344.
25 and out at any age.

$3000/month at 30 years. $105 extra for any years over 30.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm 53, can't get it all for another 2 or three years. I was in Central States and now under IBT/UPS Plan, so that means I'm covered under three different plans. I would get penalized 12% if I go out now plus the cost of medical would take a big hunk too. I won't get my 8 years PT pension until I'm 65. I don't want to touch my investments at all right now.[/QUOTE

I hear that alot that people don't want to touch their investments. I'm 50 and will have 30 years in at 58. If I can get out at 55 with a few 100K in retirement money I might just say see ya. When the time comes, I might think different.