Whatever happened to:

Jim Kemp

Whatever happened to all these shippers?
Aldens
Spiegel
Blair
Fingerhut
S.A.V.E.
All those records and tapes off the TV
Sears
Current
LL Bean
These were, at one time, most of my stops

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Dropping bags in doors was too easy. We would rather lug treadmills and Pottery Barn furniture. Same time allowance though.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Aldens-Went out of business in the 80's?
Spiegel-Bankrupt but restructered & I think they use Basic after a few years
Blair-Clothing out of Warren, Pa.?- Still uses USPS and went to DHL
Fingerhut-???
S.A.V.E.-Loved those green boxes, ????
All those records and tapes off the TV-I think Amazon.com put them out of business.
Sears- Now Sears.com, no catalog anymore
Current-Basic now??
LL Bean-Went to FDX but we got some of it back

Big Babooba

Sears axed their catalog in the early 90's. They still have specialty catalogs though. I believe Spiegel and Newport News (formerly Avon Fashions) are owned by the same outfit. I think S.A.V.E & Current are DOA. Fingerhut is alive and kicking. They even sell "adult toys" on their web site. I had a route where you always got a signature for Fingerhut otherwise you would get a follow up. I miss them - NOT!

barnyard

KTM rider
Fingerhut was sold and closed for a short time. We used to pick them up out of our center. They reopened and use Fedex ground to ship and UPS for all their returns.

During peak, a feeder supe would be stationed on Fingerhut's dock to dispatch feeder pick up's.

TB

badpal

Aldens
Spiegel
Blair
Fingerhut
S.A.V.E.
All those records and tapes off the TV
Sears
Current
LL Bean
These were, at one time, most of my stops
Oh yes those records and tapes C.O.D. and three attempts . Back when we accepted cash and the amount always ended 99 cents.

wornoutupser

Thats for sure! Anyone remember the old "Survivor" knife that was COD? "Be a Survivor,Buy the Survivor". I delivered (no joke) over a thousand of those things!

brown bomber

brown bomber
hey...don't forget the "DREAM-AWAY" weight loss pills and the "BOXCAR WILLIE" music selections....all C.O.D.
90% were RTS'd after 3 attempts

satellitedriver

Sears axed their catalog in the early 90's. They still have specialty catalogs though. I believe Spiegel and Newport News (formerly Avon Fashions) are owned by the same outfit. I think S.A.V.E & Current are DOA. Fingerhut is alive and kicking. They even sell "adult toys" on their web site. I had a route where you always got a signature for Fingerhut otherwise you would get a follow up. I miss them - NOT!
Sorry, but I just can't pass this one up
The irony of "Fingerhut" and" adult toys" is just too strong an image.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
Sears is still alive and well up here in the frozen tundra and yes, they do still have catalogues (maybe not in the states). My city just happens to have one of thier 2 warehouses in Canada, and around peak they get thier own personal driver. They usually make up about 90% of the outbound ground volume that we send to Alberta and BC from here.

abes

abes
Do you remember all the cheese we would get in the early 80"s.It would start in november.They had release #"s.thats when you would actually pick up a few minutes with 50 release a day.Ahhhhhhhh the good old day's