What's a driver to do

specter208

Talk to this driver, be patient and try to show him. If nothing changes then I escalate to other Union brothers first and then management.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
I made book with a good one out of three working days in the jumpseat… As a helper. So let us all remember that the OP is expected to have driver numbers despite being On Road in a helper capacity…

ManInBrown

I've been a full time package car driver for 9.5 yrs, 15 yrs of service. I had an issue with my license, so currently I am a driver helper, helping on my own route. (Its an unusual situation) The issue is the new guy who just got his 30 day full time driving seniority. He has been on my route about 2-2.5 months. He doesn't know north from south,east to west, etc. He will nose 1st into driveways then reverse out, etc. I could go on and on, almost more things wrong than right. I've been his helper for 4 days now and everyday I find myself repeating the same basic fundamentals, to no real progress to speak of. The new driver seems like he cares about doing better and being safer, unfortunately in reality its more like a B- for Effort , and friend for execution. My question is when should I say something to someone and who, a shop steward or ........? I don't mean any harm to this new driver , but if he keeps doing what he's, its not good 4 anyone?
Wow that’s unreal. so you’re a helper on your route, and the newbie is burning it to the ground, with you on the truck? Lololol. If that was me, I would be setting that driver straight so fast his head would spin. If you were a helper on a route that wasn’t yours it would be a slightly different story. I would still say something, but in the end he wouldn’t be affecting your life when you return to the drivers seat. It would be annoying and I would definitely try to tell him you’re not doing things the way they should be done. Wow. This is a first. Dont snitch on him To management. Handle it yourself between you, him and Stewie. If he’s nosing into driveways, you’re coming back to 20 extra stops.

I had wars with my entire management team because I walked every stop off from the street, and never stepped on a blade of grass. I refused to pull in one driveway. Driveways are not the methods. I delivered to a very rich area and the houses were far from the street. Not out of sight, but far. Do you know that in an area like that, pulling in driveways is an extra 30 stops a day easy.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

You seem awfully worried the make believe numbers

Standard answer is I"am doing the best I can
Your 100% right the numbers on a piece of paper might as well be toilet paper. But this driver that is the helper right now, is returning to a drastically different stop count if this runner keeps running And doing dumb sheet. Now he can obviously just go with “I’m not the other driver trying my best” but why have a problem on your hands, if you don’t need one. Now he’s got a battle on his hands with management when he returns.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Your 100% right the numbers on a piece of paper might as well be toilet paper. But this driver that is the helper right now, is returning to a drastically different stop count if this runner keeps running And doing dumb sheet. Now he can obviously just go with “I’m not the other driver trying my best” but why have a problem on your hands, if you don’t need one. Now he’s got a battle on his hands with management when he returns.
Or the "Helper" can throw him under the bus so to speak. When the original driver gets his route back and management wants to know why the numbers are different just say the other guy wasn't following the methods, speeds, etc... If the ORS never did a field eval on the guy who's to say it didn't happen? It's not the responsibility of the displaced RPCD to train/correct this guy. In short, if the new guy makes a crap sandwich for yoou, the least you can do is make him take a bite.

The Driver

I drive.
Just become one of those “annoying” helpers we all love
Face down looking at your phone all the time
Take your sweet time taking your seatbelt off and getting out of the truck
Dance around with the box in your hand as if you can’t find which house you’re supposed to go to
Walk slow, super slow on dry pavement
Then go into a full on reckless sprint into wet slippery grass
Eat snacks throughout the day, disrupting the flow of work
Blast obnoxious pop country music on your phone
You know what to do
Making me feel anger on the inside.

Zowert

Yeah, I wouldn’t rat him out. Just yell at him if you have to, like a drill sergeant. Some people are hard headed and the only way to get through to them is by screaming at them. Not saying you should be verbally abusive, just assertive. It’s for his own good, he will thank you for it later.