What's a driver to do

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
I've been a full time package car driver for 9.5 yrs, 15 yrs of service. I had an issue with my license, so currently I am a driver helper, helping on my own route. (Its an unusual situation) The issue is the new guy who just got his 30 day full time driving seniority. He has been on my route about 2-2.5 months. He doesn't know north from south,east to west, etc. He will nose 1st into driveways then reverse out, etc. I could go on and on, almost more things wrong than right. I've been his helper for 4 days now and everyday I find myself repeating the same basic fundamentals, to no real progress to speak of. The new driver seems like he cares about doing better and being safer, unfortunately in reality its more like a B- for Effort , and friend for execution. My question is when should I say something to someone and who, a shop steward or ........? I don't mean any harm to this new driver , but if he keeps doing what he's, its not good 4 anyone?
30A0917A-24E8-4773-9BA1-C99BEE055704.png

Indecisi0n

I've been a full time package car driver for 9.5 yrs, 15 yrs of service. I had an issue with my license, so currently I am a driver helper, helping on my own route. (Its an unusual situation) The issue is the new guy who just got his 30 day full time driving seniority. He has been on my route about 2-2.5 months. He doesn't know north from south,east to west, etc. He will nose 1st into driveways then reverse out, etc. I could go on and on, almost more things wrong than right. I've been his helper for 4 days now and everyday I find myself repeating the same basic fundamentals, to no real progress to speak of. The new driver seems like he cares about doing better and being safer, unfortunately in reality its more like a B- for Effort , and friend for execution. My question is when should I say something to someone and who, a shop steward or ........? I don't mean any harm to this new driver , but if he keeps doing what he's, its not good 4 anyone?
You are not a trainer. You can point it out but its not your job to follow up on him. Just lay back and go with the flow while your DUI clears.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Oops, sorry. I'm trying my best.

Est.1998

Snitches get stitches...
Lol, not really snitching if he's unsafe and doing things that could get both him and that driver in a dangerous situation.
Just become one of those “annoying” helpers we all love
Face down looking at your phone all the time
Take your sweet time taking your seatbelt off and getting out of the truck
Dance around with the box in your hand as if you can’t find which house you’re supposed to go to
Walk slow, super slow on dry pavement
Then go into a full on reckless sprint into wet slippery grass
Eat snacks throughout the day, disrupting the flow of work
Blast obnoxious pop country music on your phone
You know what to do
1606073006760.jpeg

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Just become one of those “annoying” helpers we all love
Face down looking at your phone all the time
Take your sweet time taking your seatbelt off and getting out of the truck
Dance around with the box in your hand as if you can’t find which house you’re supposed to go to
Walk slow, super slow on dry pavement
Then go into a full on reckless sprint into wet slippery grass
Eat snacks throughout the day, disrupting the flow of work
Blast obnoxious pop country music on your phone
You know what to do
I hope you have a seasonal helper this year.

Undertow

Nosing into driveways and backing out in my building repeatedly over the course of even one workday most often results in a face to face conversation with management the following morning as that not only shows up but STICKS OUT on a telematics report. Not only do the bosses see that, but it's possible even people higher than that have access to the data.

It's your call, but if it were Me and it was really my delivery area and my customers and thus my and their safety potentially at stake, I'd say something now. If you don't and something bad happens, management might blame you regardless especially if they go back and look at the data accumulated up to that point and declare you should have spoken up to correct him all those times.

If you're worried about being labeled a snitch by some coworkers, don't be. If this dimwit driving your truck on your route backs over some 8 year old kid, it's gonna stay with you a heck of a lot longer than any other hourly complaining behind your back or to your face that he/she thinks you ratted somebody out.

I left a helper miles away from his car years ago when he simply refused to comply with putting on the seatbelt. Did I get some flak initially for it? Sure, but the sups try to find fault regardless so I didn't care. They receive the training and agree from the outset to follow the methods. They break that agreement? Then it's on them.

If his methods are bothering you all day and everyday, that isn't good for your long term mental health and potentially your physical health either if he screws up at exactly the wrong time. Why should you be trapped in a conflicted state for weeks on end? Make him their problem instead of strictly just yours because he should be their problem and not yours.

Undertow

Overall safety was my #1 concern, with efficiency and productivity being a distant second and third. Example 1. Parking in the middle ( median) of a 2 lane road to make a delivery that was on the passenger side to begin with.
I once had a brand new on car sup do that on a safety ride. A few minutes later he nearly ran a red light. He was rotated somewhere else not long after that. I can laugh about it now.