Whats FedEx up to?

DS

Fenderbender
I am curious as to what the pay is for a ground driver? I have no clue. You make it seem as though express drivers are rich. We don't make crap either. What are you exactly expecting to make as a "professional driver"
I am also curious,do they get paid by the piece?
DHL is like that,they are still doing ok here,the guy in my area says he clears $1000 to $1500 a week.but he has to pay gas and truck repairs.

FedExer267

Well I came from Ups where at the time I was making 28 and change a hour. I hear at Express you guys top out at 22 I believe although it takes like 20 years to get there. When you average out the hours worked for the salary we get on a weekly basis its like 12 a hour whether you work 40 hours or 70 hours that week. No overtime, no benefits, no vacation, no paid holidays you dont work you dont get paid.. The funny thing is if you miss a day but still work 40 hours you get paid for 32 hours instead of the 40. Basically you get a certain amount a day times 5 thats your weekly total. I know you guys are not rich by any stretch of the imagination however you get hourly and OT which is not the case working for a contractor. But you have to do what you have to do to feed your family
So Id think we should atleast start at the same pay as Express employees especially since they want the professional driver now. The starting pay for a driver at UPS was 14 a hour then topped out after 2 years but now thats changed to 3 years to top out.

FedExer267

I am also curious,do they get paid by the piece?
DHL is like that,they are still doing ok here,the guy in my area says he clears $1000 to $1500 a week.but he has to pay gas and truck repairs.
He makes more in a week than we make in 2 weeks its a salary however there are contractors that pay by the piece just none in my terminal

FedExer267

I have been with express for seven years. The way my station is set up with the swing driver crew we have right now. I can basically work as many hours as i want. On average i work about 45 a week. If i wanted 50 i could do that but choose not to. I have never cracked 50,000 in any year with this company. I dont know what ground guys are expecting to make as "professional drivers". If u are looking to be paid a decent salary for this line of work my advice is go to ups and load trucks for ten years and hope for the best. You will not be rich working at this company. That being said in this economy I am thankful to be employed as we all should be.
I did drive for UPS and loved every minute of it after a family move I couldnt see driving 2 hours too and from work the waiting list was 7 years Id still be waiting and spending a fourtune in fuel and maintenance

northeast swing driver

Well I came from Ups where at the time I was making 28 and change a hour. I hear at Express you guys top out at 22 I believe although it takes like 20 years to get there. When you average out the hours worked for the salary we get on a weekly basis its like 12 a hour whether you work 40 hours or 70 hours that week. No overtime, no benefits, no vacation, no paid holidays you dont work you dont get paid.. The funny thing is if you miss a day but still work 40 hours you get paid for 32 hours instead of the 40. Basically you get a certain amount a day times 5 thats your weekly total. I know you guys are not rich by any stretch of the imagination however you get hourly and OT which is not the case working for a contractor. But you have to do what you have to do to feed your family
Top pay at express now I believe is 23 and change an hour. Not 100 percent sure since i am light years away from it.The thing is that it doesn't take twenty years to top out. It takes 100 years. I will never reach top pay at express. No raise last year. they are talking about a 2percent raise across the board this march. Reaching top pay is a pipe dream. Just curious if you were making 28 an hour at ups why did you leave?

northeast swing driver

I did drive for UPS and loved every minute of it after a family move I couldnt see driving 2 hours too and from work the waiting list was 7 years Id still be waiting and spending a fourtune in fuel and maintenance
I hear ya. I would love to get a job as a driver at ups. But it is not realistic. I am not going over there and loading trucks for ten years waiting for a drivers job. The thing about ups is you have to go there when you are 18 and start loading trucks then. By the time you r 25 give or take a couple years you will be drinving making a great living. From what i hear in the 80000 a year range. They work very hard for the money they earn but the one thing is when i pull into a neighborhood and i have 5 resi deliveries in that specific neighborhood the ups guy has 15 deliveries. Its tighter. A single town in my station might have three express drivers doing the whole town and the ups station has six drivers in the same town.

FedExer267

I hear ya. I would love to get a job as a driver at ups. But it is not realistic. I am not going over there and loading trucks for ten years waiting for a drivers job. The thing about ups is you have to go there when you are 18 and start loading trucks then. By the time you r 25 give or take a couple years you will be drinving making a great living. From what i hear in the 80000 a year range. They work very hard for the money they earn but the one thing is when i pull into a neighborhood and i have 5 resi deliveries in that specific neighborhood the ups guy has 15 deliveries. Its tighter. A single town in my station might have three express drivers doing the whole town and the ups station has six drivers in the same town.
Ya I hear ya there the route I do for FEDEX has like 8 UPS drivers out there. There routes are alot tighter that is for sure but you run it off quickly. UPS you spend more time delivering than driving at Ground you spend more time driving but you cover 3 to 4 towns. 4 towns equals 100 stops and 7 pickups for me. I used to do 175 stops and like 40 pickups in a 10 mile radius at UPS and punch out by 5pm everyday. Know I drive 200 miles 100 to 110 stops a day 7 pickups and punchout at 430 so its basically the same time frame just alot less money.

As a former UPS driver I can say that my knees were in really bad shape working at UPS.The average UPS driver enters and exits the vehicle roughly double the amount of times Fedex drivers do carrying heavier packages.I'm okay with my 30 stops a day.

moreluck

golden ticket member
FedEx Corp. Board Declares Quarterly Dividend

February 15, 2010 The Board of Directors of FedEx Corporation (NYSE: FDX) today declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.11 per share on FedEx Corporation common stock. The dividend is payable April 1, 2010 to stockholders of record at the close of business on March 11, 2010.

__._,_.___

moreluck

golden ticket member
FedEx Workers Join the Teamsters Union!

PR Newswire
posted: 6 HOURS 33 MINUTES AGO

TORONTO, Feb. 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Thanks to the relentless efforts of its organizers, the Teamsters Union announces that it now represents FedEx's 48 administrative workers in Mississauga, Ontario.
"This is a historical event for FedEx workers and the entire labour movement," claims Robert Bouvier, president of Teamsters Canada. "This company is well known for its anti-union attitude, but this development demonstrates beyond all doubt that these workers had had enough of their employer's arbitrary decisions."
This large-scale campaign began in 2009 and mobilizes dozens of organizers, members of several Local Unions throughout the country as well as Teamsters Canada representatives.
The application for certification was filed on Friday, February 12 with the Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB). An application for certification is a formal document that confirms that a union represents a group of workers.
The employer may attempt to object to its workers' decision. The president of Teamsters Canada has therefore warned them that their employer could try to stall the procedure.
"We will continue to stand with these men and women for as long as it takes," adds Mr. Bouvier. "Furthermore, we have learned that they earn to up $16,000 less than their brothers and sisters employed by Purolator. That is one of the many reasons that convinced them to contact us for help."
The Teamsters intends to continue to help all FedEx workers' legal right to form a union.

__._,_.___

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx Workers Join the Teamsters Union!

PR Newswire
posted: 6 HOURS 33 MINUTES AGO

TORONTO, Feb. 16 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Thanks to the relentless efforts of its organizers, the Teamsters Union announces that it now represents FedEx's 48 administrative workers in Mississauga, Ontario.
"This is a historical event for FedEx workers and the entire labour movement," claims Robert Bouvier, president of Teamsters Canada. "This company is well known for its anti-union attitude, but this development demonstrates beyond all doubt that these workers had had enough of their employer's arbitrary decisions."
This large-scale campaign began in 2009 and mobilizes dozens of organizers, members of several Local Unions throughout the country as well as Teamsters Canada representatives.
The application for certification was filed on Friday, February 12 with the Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB). An application for certification is a formal document that confirms that a union represents a group of workers.
The employer may attempt to object to its workers' decision. The president of Teamsters Canada has therefore warned them that their employer could try to stall the procedure.
"We will continue to stand with these men and women for as long as it takes," adds Mr. Bouvier. "Furthermore, we have learned that they earn to up $16,000 less than their brothers and sisters employed by Purolator. That is one of the many reasons that convinced them to contact us for help."
The Teamsters intends to continue to help all FedEx workers' legal right to form a union.

__._,_.___

Good for them. Now Smith will do his best to eliminate this "threat". Let's see what he does next.

bbsam

Staff member
Gee, even more evidence that FedEx thinks of it's Ground people as "employees". Imagine that. Uncle Fred must be pretty confident of something if he's willing to blatantly exert even more control over people who don't even work for FedEx. Hmmmm.
"A man convinced against his will...." Let's say I'm a contractor. You hire me to build a deck. We set up a time and amount. Three weeks later than promised, I show up while you are at work, slap up a crappy 2x4 "deck" and leave you a bill for 3 times the amount agreed. Since I am a contractor do you have no control over the work performed?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"A man convinced against his will...." Let's say I'm a contractor. You hire me to build a deck. We set up a time and amount. Three weeks later than promised, I show up while you are at work, slap up a crappy 2x4 "deck" and leave you a bill for 3 times the amount agreed. Since I am a contractor do you have no control over the work performed?

Again, it's a matter of degree, isn't it? FedEx wants it both ways (as usual). They want all the low-cost advantages yet insist on high performance standards.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

An even easier to understand example is a restaurant franchise. Not that that would do any good ;)

bbsam

Staff member
Again, it's a matter of degree, isn't it? FedEx wants it both ways (as usual). They want all the low-cost advantages yet insist on high performance standards.
And the way they "control" is through pay incentives. The matter of degree is and always has been left to the courts, a venue Smith and his lawyers seems to have gotten ironed out over the past few years.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Which is what I did when I hired a contractor to do some work on the house, which is what everyone does when they hire out a job. The guys on his crew weren't my employees even though they performing work to the specs I requested.

That's how it works and FedEx is no exception.

FedEx courier

Which is what I did when I hired a contractor to do some work on the house, which is what everyone does when they hire out a job. The guys on his crew weren't my employees even though they performing work to the specs I requested.

That's how it works and FedEx is no exception.

Did you make your contractor wear a uniform with your name on it and drive a truck with your name on the side?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Well from what Ive been witness too is the fact that Contractors have the most to lose. FedEx is merely manipulating the Ground setup to benefit them with no shared risk. For example if Bbsam pays his employees by the hour each new requirement put upon Bbsam bares no new cost to FedEx because its not them who pay the employees. With the new addendum that has recently surfaced this again creates an environment that the Contractors not FedEx must figure out a way to navigate. The tags that all H.D. and Ground drivers must now leave with the delivery's add both cost and time that once again the contractors must navigate not FedEx, I would like to add that Express drivers don't leave those tags. Ask yourself why, cause the cost would need to be absorbed directly by FedEx and they don't like that. So I ask you is this a situation in which X is purposely trying to force out contractors so that when they are forced to reclassify the drivers there will be less cost with buyouts? I know that Bbsam puts on a brave face but even he at this point has got to scratch his head at times and wonder if X really doesn't want him to make money.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What's sad is Bssam doesn't understand they would flush him down the toilet as fast or faster than anybody.

Yep, they'd cut him loose in a second. He doesn't really understand how FedEx thinks of it's employees/contractors. Barron's puts the FedEx Ground cost advantage at 30% over UPS, so where do you suppose that huge differential comes from? Using 59 Dano's example, did the contractor have to show-up every day at an exact time, follow precise procedures etc, or did he just show-up at the job when he felt it was necessary as long as it came-in on-time and on-budget? I'm guessing it's not OK for FedEx non-employees to come to work when they feel like it or for contractors to do whatever they want and ignore stringent FedEx protocols.