whats going to happen with the usps

klein

Für Meno :)
Most of you don't want comments from Canada.
But, I'll tell you how the postoffice changed here.
In the late 70's , Saturday Post was elimated. We haven't received mails on Saturdays for decades !
Postoffices ? Only 1 goverment owned postoffice in our city of a popultaion of 1 million (and thats downtown).
Every other location is at a 7 / 11 store (privately owned)

And door to door delivery has been on it's way out for years (all newer districts, like mine ) has Supermail boxes. I get to walk to the main street to collect my mail. Like many others, these days. Or when I drive home, just stop at that supermail box, and pick it up.
All farm and rural areas, those routes have been contracted out. I could even get one of them, if i wanted to.
I would say, less then 50% of the Canada Post system is goverment employed now.

But, they don't run losses. Not that I heard, anyways.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
I heard a statistic the other day that less than 6% of the mail nowdays is actually mail. The rest is advertisements and credit offers.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The only people that use the mail now are the government, credit card companies and utilities
As Edd pointed out, the majority of mail is junk.

Wanna save a ton of trees, get rid of the junk mail.

d

Buffaloaf

A minor nitpick; I believe that USPS is actually privatized, they simply have an Antitrust expemption from the federal government. No one else is allowed to deliver "Mail." *I believe they are actually self-supporting by their own profits (from years past, obviously). Due to having a monopoly over "mail", they've been able to get away with not managing their company well and still have profits. With mail down so much, they are finally seeing red years and it's becoming a big issue.* Their antitrust exemption is the reason why they need Congresses permission in order to make any changes to how they deliver mail. This is why the government is involved with them -- and also why they get involved with football, baseball, etc...they all have an government granted antitrust exemption.

Part in * is speculation / assumption...I have not looked up USPS profits / losses to know for sure if this is fact.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The USPS is not privatized--they are an independent government entity.

Any truly "private" organization would have long since declared bankruptcy if it posted operating losses such as those posted by the USPS and operated as inefficiently as they do.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Also future historians will have a harder time knowing what was actually going on if we stop writing letters.

Good point.

I have letters my grandmother wrote to my father in the 1960's.

I have letters from the First Gulf War.

And the notes I passed in the hall in high school...I saved some of the good ones.

The National World War II Museum in New Orleans is rich in written history from the war front...

Just a valid point.

Make it private and allow us to at least hold on to something someone bothered to hand address and really sign.

Besides...can you send a scented email to a loved one?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Get rid of junkmail including the crap our company and our union send us. No I don't want to contribute to UPSPAC and no I don't want a teamster credit card or life insurance. Upstate, shouldn't you have changed your avatar to a broom?

whiskey

A mail carrier I know from the route told me they have eliminated three routes in our small town. He whispered to me in a hushed tone, "There is no mail anymore!" He too is happy that he has only five more years to go to retirement. The only people that use the mail now are the government, credit card companies and utilities.
\There will be plenty of mail when the internet crashes.

Ms.PacMan

A minor nitpick; I believe that USPS is actually privatized, they simply have an Antitrust expemption from the federal government. No one else is allowed to deliver "Mail." *I believe they are actually self-supporting by their own profits (from years past, obviously). Due to having a monopoly over "mail", they've been able to get away with not managing their company well and still have profits. With mail down so much, they are finally seeing red years and it's becoming a big issue.* Their antitrust exemption is the reason why they need Congresses permission in order to make any changes to how they deliver mail. This is why the government is involved with them -- and also why they get involved with football, baseball, etc...they all have an government granted antitrust exemption.

Part in * is speculation / assumption...I have not looked up USPS profits / losses to know for sure if this is fact.

Not exactly privatized. A self-sustaining entity of the government, like OSHA, would probably be more accurate.
I'm not sure about the anti-trust business. I do know that they became self supporting after the invention of the zone improvement program (zip code). I believe it took about 10 years to ween themselves off government assistance and they have been fully supported by the cost of postage for the last 30 years or so.

They are definitely struggling to stay in the black now though.

rocket man

Wall street news today (D H L) Buying 700 post office blds they picking the blds with loading dock central locations. They are coming back?:wink2: Remeber everything on brown cafe is true.