whats up with the no-call no-shows?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I work pre-load, and their are a few guys who dont show up at least once a week, and another dude who only shows up consistently 2 days of the week. which means guys like me who are always there for duty, get are asses handed to us to pick up the slack. then when they do show up they never get even asked what happened, any sort of repremand. They show up and its like the managers couldnt care less. I know its pretty hard to get fired from the union. But this happens all the time. I just dont get it. Does this happen to anybody else, is this a common thing for the main unload in other hubs. I always thought no-call no-shows were pretty much gauranteed to be canned.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I guess its time to put on the big boy pants and take that sippy cup outta your mouth. You don't have to pick up anybody's slack, if there are a lot of work, work as how you always work. If it takes you all night to get done, so be it - more money in your pockets. To me, it looks like your problem is being a timid worker who curls up at the heavy tone of managements voices. Sad that I'm only 19 yrs old and have more spine than a lot of workers at UPS who are much older than I am.

jaker

trolling
I guess its time to put on the big boy pants and take that sippy cup outta your mouth. You don't have to pick up anybody's slack, if there are a lot of work, work as how you always work. If it takes you all night to get done, so be it - more money in your pockets. To me, it looks like your problem is being a timid worker who curls up at the heavy tone of managements voices. Sad that I'm only 19 yrs old and have more spine than a lot of workers at UPS who are much older than I am.
More spine then a jelly fish

browntroll

I work pre-load, and their are a few guys who dont show up at least once a week, and another dude who only shows up consistently 2 days of the week. which means guys like me who are always there for duty, get are asses handed to us to pick up the slack. then when they do show up they never get even asked what happened, any sort of repremand. They show up and its like the managers couldnt care less. I know its pretty hard to get fired from the union. But this happens all the time. I just dont get it. Does this happen to anybody else, is this a common thing for the main unload in other hubs. I always thought no-call no-shows were pretty much gauranted to be canned.
i talk trash to them they just think im kidding anyway. i had the same problem when i was in the unload, i saw everyone come in at least 5 min late and watched the part time sup
panic looking at the 3 pters that were on time. eventually someone will get tired of it and write them up unless management covers for them. one new hire i would tell him i asked
the sups to fire him already, i would get it off my chest how i felt and we would both laugh about it. also one time i came in for 1 week late and they warned me for 5 lates
so i just complained why i was being singled out when everyone else comes in late.

Indecisi0n

Ill give up the sippy cup but can I still use my rectal thermometer?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'll tell you this, years back, part time made a lot more per hour. You didn't see this kind of stuff going on for risk of being fired. Now, with the relatively low wages being offered, it's like a revolving door of personnel, a little less now than before due to the bad economy, but a revolving door just the same.

Ouch

If they have more seniority than you how do you know they arent calling them and asking if they want the day off

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have a driver that has a few NCNS's to his name. But he will call at 11am when he wakes up. They tried to write him up for NCNS, but he did in fact call. lol. nothing done about it.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yeah, I thought ANCs (Absent, no call) was a bad offense too then when a preloader came back to work after about 10 days off I asked a preload sup if the guy was on vacation. He said Nah, he just has been MIA, no call and just decided to work today. He didn't seem to care.

Also, there is a casual driver in my center that ANCs about twice a week and the center manager will just tell the on-car sup,"Maybe we should rotate him out for a more reliable casual" but nothing ever changes. I'm sure if one of us full time drivers ANCed then we'd get a warning letter or worse.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The pre-load supe in my building is someone i have known for years. He started as a driver ,went into management and he has held several positions since. He was placed in charge of Pre load last year,and has told me that he WANTS to start progressive discipline and terminate the Pre load for NCNS but Hr will not allow him to hire anyone to replace these people if he does,so he is caught in a catch 22 situation.

mixyo

Dispatcher
Whenever people don't show up, the sup always makes a point at the PCM giving us permission to kick their ass when they return.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
All this talk about no call no show's being a product of a union environment is confusing me...It's a product of a supervisor/s inability to play by the rules. NCNS's is a cardinal infraction. You follow the rules set forth in the contract. In fact, if there's...it's either 3 or 4 in a row, they can be terminated. I know there's some people in the union who get away with stuff, but it has nothing to do with the union and everything to do with management not following through. There's a guy in my area who's NCNS and I gave him a chance to explain himself. He said nothing and shrugged his shoulders, so read him the riot act and made sure he knew that it put a lot of stress on me and the others. I'm not working that much harder, but I have my kids to pick up and me doing his work and mine added time that I really don't have to give. Not that I expect him to be chagrined or to change his ways but inaction certainly is worse than saying something. Who knows, maybe he/she's parents never instilled work ethic and consequences. And it's consequences that is the best teacher.

Overpaid Union Thug

All this talk about no call no show's being a product of a union environment is confusing me...It's a product of a supervisor/s inability to play by the rules. NCNS's is a cardinal infraction. You follow the rules set forth in the contract. In fact, if there's...it's either 3 or 4 in a row, they can be terminated. I know there's some people in the union who get away with stuff, but it has nothing to do with the union and everything to do with management not following through. There's a guy in my area who's NCNS and I gave him a chance to explain himself. He said nothing and shrugged his shoulders, so read him the riot act and made sure he knew that it put a lot of stress on me and the others. I'm not working that much harder, but I have my kids to pick up and me doing his work and mine added time that I really don't have to give. Not that I expect him to be chagrined or to change his ways but inaction certainly is worse than saying something. Who knows, maybe he/she's parents never instilled work ethic and consequences. And it's consequences that is the best teacher.

I've worked in two different buildings and each and every person that was fired for NCNSs were promptly rehired. But then again......I've seen many fired for worse infractions rehired rather quickly too. That's just part of the game I guess.

ZJ NOMAD

I follow rules/ Go by the book all the time, I don't like to be put on the spot with the company, I don't like to get disciplined, so I don't do NCNS's ever.Something funny at my hub is that whether you call in or you NCNS it is still and occassion regardless, but I still call in to be on the safe side. i'm 99.9% of the year on time, and I only use 3 occassions every 9 months- which at my local 396 1 occassion is 4 days in a row or 5 days with doctors note. You usually get a he said/she said - I said after 3 occassions, followed by warning, suspension, termination if you keep on piling up occassions. In reality at my hub it really takes alot to get fired for NCNS/CALL IN's, but I have seen people get fired for it, and it is usually because they abuse it. My only gripe with all this is that the management team is usually not consistent in it's disciplinary ways - an more times than less they solely go based on who the person is that is exceeding the NCNS or call in's, that they then issue out disciplinary action. It usually go's like this - if management does not like you for any reason they usually start handing out warnings after only 2 occassions. If your a really big :censored2: kizzer with management, and best of buds with them you can miss a whole lot an never get disciplined, I have seen this happen many times.

OPTION3

Whenever people don't show up, the sup always makes a point at the PCM giving us permission to kick their ass when they return.
Another FINE example of management creating a HOSTILE workplace......Why and when or even IF a person calls in is NO-ONES business but the person calling in and the COMPANY....Period

UnconTROLLed

perfection
No call-no shows are an unfortunate bi-product of working in a union shop. Just sayin.......
Piedmont steward has it right. NCNS and attendance issues are bi-products of poor management follow through. The problem becomes that the jobs are so undesirable now for the rate of pay- given working graveyard shifts, poor working conditions and of course said poor management...that there are just too many cases and UPS can't discipline and/or fire half of the shift.

Even some of the extreme examples of NCNS I have seen, UPS doesn't follow through with (one employee was late 150 times and NCNS 70 times in a single year, still had a job!)