What's your prediction.....

bbsam

Staff member
Why wouldn't the courier reattempt on their way back to the depot rather than breaking off?

My route is fairly dense (much like the driver) and it is usually not a problem to reattempt a send-again but I would not break off to do so. I would do it at my convenience.
That's what I was getting to. Reattempt delivery later in the day. Most of my routes are able to do that. The outlying ones aren't always able to. Sounds like Express is significantly different for now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does UPS have DSR (Direct Signature), and ISR (Indirect Signature/Doortag) options? My guess is that you have an equivalent, but that UPS is smart enough not to make you break route to do a reattempt. It's ironic that FedEx ignores certain aspects of service and over-emphasizes others. More evidence that the folks who run the show have their heads up their asses.

We have signature required and adult signature required. The former can be indirected while the latter must be signed for by the consignee. If we are asked to reattempt we do it at our convenience--we do not break trace. Occasionally the customer will want to meet the driver on area---I never do this as invariably the customer is late getting to the meet point or doesn't show up at all and you end up sitting for no reason. The OMS will sometimes give us the consignees cell phone number and ask us to call to arrange a meet---this doesn't happen either for the reasons given above.

hypo hanna

When I was a dispatcher, I always discouraged an on road meet up with the driver for those very reasons. Their "sense of urgency" was never the same as what was expected of that driver.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When I was a dispatcher, I always discouraged an on road meet up with the driver for those very reasons. Their "sense of urgency" was never the same as what was expected of that driver.

I never do meets with customers, for all of the reasons others have listed.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
God, that was one psychotic bitch. We used to call her "The Joker" because of that outlandish makeup.
Heh. Fred really knows how to pick 'em. She was a textbook example of "if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS."

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Heh. Fred really knows how to pick 'em. She was a textbook example of "if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS."

Her turn at the helm was the period when Express really changed into a total numbers-only company. We largely have her to thank for the way the company is today. Perhaps she's in charge of a penal colony in some evil Third World dictatorship where her talents can be put to good use.

vantexan

Her turn at the helm was the period when Express really changed into a total numbers-only company. We largely have her to thank for the way the company is today. Perhaps she's in charge of a penal colony in some evil Third World dictatorship where her talents can be put to good use.

Her management style got her noticed. She left FedEx for a VP position at AT&T. Funny you mentioned the Joker 'cause that was what we called her too, LOL.

Ricochet1a

She's with Blue Nile Diamonds now...

No record of her ever being with AT&T after FedEx (80-96), she went to Citigroup, then worked in some dot com's in the late 90's, then Blue Nile.

The makeup and king sized necklace are present in the photo in the link below.

Mississippi State University Alumnus: Winter 1994

vantexan

She's with Blue Nile Diamonds now...

No record of her ever being with AT&T after FedEx (80-96), she went to Citigroup, then worked in some dot com's in the late 90's, then Blue Nile.

The makeup and king sized necklace are present in the photo in the link below.

Mississippi State University Alumnus: Winter 1994

I heard she got a great job at AT&T but they must have confused Nortel with AT&T.

Goldilocks

OMG, that is a name from the past. M.A.T What a train wreck. We had mini her (Senior) at our station that wore stilettos every day, drove her mercedes and 2 inches of makeup, think she was wanting to be like MAT....lol

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
More than likely when it came to the hard work at FedEx she just stuck someone below her with it. Stayed for a few years, *****ed things up then moved on. Repeat cycle at the next company. Seen it all before with those types.

SmithBarney

That's what I was getting to. Reattempt delivery later in the day. Most of my routes are able to do that. The outlying ones aren't always able to. Sounds like Express is significantly different for now.

Correct, we'd love to, but we are given directives from Dispatch to "Reatt now"

unfortunately the lag in our message system keeps this from happening with efficiency, I tell dispatch, "I'll be between X and Y and maybe Z delivering, if they find me, I'll deliver it... otherwise I have to keep moving to make service." Usually I'm well passed Z by the time dispatch gets back to me. LOL

hypo hanna

And a smart dispatcher doesnt expect you to. They are well aware of the pressure drivers are under. The good dispatchers stay out of the whole on road manager push the drivers beyond safety thing and stick to communication/reporting.