When Did the Decline Start?

Whither

Scofflaw
Probation felt like a boot camp. Overall I enjoy ups though. You just gotta play their game lol.
Yup. But some brothers and sisters on here seem to think the company has gone to the dogs because mgmt doesn't harass us about having pressed uniforms, pant hemlines breaking at just the 'right' point, unshined shoes/boots lmao

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Yup. But some brothers and sisters on here seem to think the company has gone to the dogs because mgmt doesn't harass us about having pressed uniforms, pant hemlines breaking at just the 'right' point, unshined shoes/boots lmao
I don’t even know who my manager is. They don’t interact with us lol. I prefer it that way though. Micro managing is the worst.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I know the exact day that everything fell apart at UPS.

May 7th 2018.

Since then UPS has not been able to recover and it's all down hill from now on.

Some of you may remember that day.

0BD2EC42-38C1-4BEC-88F7-512D7A07233D.gif

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I think the decline started happening after the '97 Strike. FedEx bought Roadway Package Systems and got into the ground business then. UPS lost a lot of business and never got it back. FedEx went after our big commercial accounts first. Company stock was and still is held mostly by management and trust funds, a lot of them were mad about losing money. My Center Manager was pure evil when we came back to work. Things changed. The "Big Idea" employee magazine was canceled, I'm not sure exactly when the turkeys went away. UPS offered the Teamsters $500M to get 70,000 members out of Central States Pension Fund, which costs the company $6B a few years later. UPS had been very profitable before and paid cash for expansion, the stock going public in 1999 was to raise more capital. I did buy stock for $25 a share when the Thrift Plan went away, I still hold that in an IRA. The 1982 National Master didn't help things either, part-timers were stuck at $8-8.50 an hour for a long time. The quality of the workforce dropped from what I saw and experienced. Eventually, that put a big strain on overall operations too.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
It started in the late 90's when IE made all the decisions for management. Granted, there was some management that couldn't or can't figure anything out, but now it's all about making numbers at any cost. It's about the perception of service. I've seen tons of shady stuff by management that would have gotten them walked out 25 years ago. Now they all do it to survive.

Zowert

The days of outgoing clean cut UPS drivers in crisp uniforms bringing you your catalog orders are over. Now it’s scruffy looking dudes wearing brown shorts over black leggings dropping off the trinkets you ordered on Amazon yesterday.

Seymour Packages

The days of outgoing clean cut UPS drivers in crisp uniforms bringing you your catalog orders are over. Now it’s scruffy looking dudes wearing brown shorts over black leggings dropping off the trinkets you ordered on Amazon yesterday.
You forgot the music BLARING on a speaker at 1 in the afternoon on a Wednesday.