When i grow up i wana be...

stu_bo

uk_upser
As UPS is a relatively new company in the UK, not many people see UPS as their first choice of career when leaving school.

Is this the same in the States, or do the students go to college with a full intention of joining UPS after they have graduated?

From what we are led to believe here in the UK, working for UPS in the states is a very sought after position (no sarcasm intended :) )

I'm off to bed, good night! :thumbup1:

ikoi62

when i was younger i had never heard of UPS, i went into the Navy out of high school, after i got out i got a job driving a truck for a local company,i was in the warehouse one day packing some boxs when the UPS guy came in, we got to talking and he asked how much i made at this company, it was $6.50 a hour. he told me UPS was hiring and called someone and gave me a # to call. they told me to come down for a interview the next day (tuesday), i went got shoved in a room with about 20 other guys..got a tour of the place and was told to go to this place to get a checkup.(wednesday) i didnt hear from them till Friday when i was told to report for school on Monday.
that was 21 years ago..
i still see the guy that got me the job..he retired 10 years ago..to this day i dont know if i should shake his hand or kick him for what he did.:cool:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Many, many think they want the job, and for many that get the chance, a change of mind happens very quickly. I would guess in many places UPS employees stay when they get the chance, but in others, the turn over rate is 400-500% per year. Too much competition for the new employee at starting wages that UPS pays, and a lot less physical work.

Interesting how so many people say they want the shot, but when given the opportunity, they fall short.

d

ups79

still remember that day quite well. the UPS driver backed up to the dock. unloaded and mention to us that UPS was hiring in October. got his pay check out of his wallet and showed us him pay. i said, what is that for a month and he said no, a week. couldn't believe it. but that wasn't all. they had insurance, thrift plan, and pension. i retired 2 years ago. i thank that driver every time i see him. was the one driver hired out of the nearly 500 lined up that October day.

ups79

still remember that day quite well. the UPS driver backed up to the dock. unloaded and mention to us that UPS was hiring in October. got his pay check out of his wallet and showed us his pay. i said, what is that for a month and he said no, a week. couldn't believe it. but that wasn't all. they had insurance, thrift plan, and pension. i retired 2 years ago. i thank that driver every time i see him. was the one driver hired out of the nearly 500 lined up that October day.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I can remember back when I started in 1975 as a seventeen year old. A part-time job in a burger joint started out at $2.10 an hour. UPS starting pay as a P/T loader was $4.25 an hour. That was good money way back then, I don't know what a driver started at. When I started looking for a full-time job after high school, I was making more money part-time than what full-time jobs paid. When I started working full-time as a Package Driver on my warehouse route, I soon learned that I was making more money than that shipping/receiving supervisor with a college degree. I had one manager at a national company try to hire me as a salesman for him, but when we sat down to talk about money, I was making more than he was! The jobs people wanted around here back then was working for Ford, GM, Lockheed Ga., Delta Airlines,utility companies, and UPS as far as blue collar jobs went. These days we seem to have a hard time getting good people now, I think the starting pay is too low to draw better quality people.

Last edited:

spidey

Darn it. I thought this was gonna be a "What did you want to be when you grew up" thread.

I was either going to be Wonder Woman or Battlestar Galactica's Cassiopeia.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I hope with both of those you are the gentler gender? Not to say that if not that something would be wrong.......but you get my drift?:wink:

d

over9five

Staff member
Scratch, me too! I tell my kids I made $2.10 an hour at my first job. Dishwasher at a Chinese restaurant.

God, I loved that job......!

T

Thewayitis

Stu,
To clarify your opinion just a bit...FULL TIME positions at UPS are highly sought after....part-time positions are almost IMPOSSIBLE to fill. When most of us started at UPS it was required that you be enrolled in or have some college work behind you. Today though the starting hourly rate is almost exactly what it was 15 years ago therefore the, dare i say it, quality of new hires is NOT what it was. Most college students do not wish to wait 5-10 years working P/T for the CHANCE at a full time position. So instead of those in the middle of their higher education "we gets a lots of kids and adults who cant spells Kollege let alone attends it"

upsdude

For as long as I can remember I wanted to be a police officer. Within days of my 18th birthday I enrolled in a work/school program with a local police department. I earned a whopping $5,300.00 a year and obtained an associates degree. I later met and married a woman that turned out to be Satan’s sister, and she developed a terminal disease (PMS). I left police work and gave up my dream. Fortunately for me she decided to move on and make someone else’s life miserable. At that moment my life turned around for the better, I lost my job and she was gone. UPS hired me, and although they can sometimes remind me of my ex wife, I’m still here with a little over 5 years to go. My ex now lives in Florida with her father. The Satan family likes the heat. LOL.