when to get print out?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave, you and I are on the same retirement schedule. What would you get if you left a year early? If I go the full 30 at age 58 I'm looking at 3300. If I leave a year early its about 3150. Im thinking see ya at 57.

If I left a year early I would have to wait until I am 65 to start drawing my pension as they are strict on the 30/55 rules.

I would be willing to leave early if they offered up to a 3% annual penalty for doing so.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Obviously you are planning very well for your retirement Upstate and you always give solid advice.

My point is this. When any of us Upsers retire from UPS we have had 20 to 30 years to plan for that day?
So 7 weeks of vacation pay should not effect anybody's retirement plans at all?

The vacation pay just goes into the retirement buckets with all the other money saved.

Its only about $6k anyway? Thats just not a lot of money.

Thanks for your kind words.

It can be tough to plan for retirement. Kids can get in the way of those plans while major life events (divorce, major illness) can ruin even the best of plans.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Each local is so different. I find it perplexing that a local so close to my old local (Upstate's) has such different rules. We still have 55 years old and out at 25 years of service, and any age and out with full pension at 30 years of service. Granted, our pension is less, $4102.00, but still getting out while you're still healthy is a great concern.

Anything can happen in a blink of an eye and knowing you'll be retiring with your health is such a relief for anybody. Good luck to you that have to work well into your 50's and beyond to capture your benefits. I'm happy to not work at the brown hell anymore.

purplesky

A $4102.00 pension sounds pretty damn good especially with SS(at 62) and maybe some other investments thrown in.
So what do you do for health insurance? I have met people who have retired early with Obamacare.
Yes many people hate Obamacare but for people in their 50s who can retire early its a real option since healthcare has always been a huge problem for early retirees.

There is a great website called Early-retirement.org. Lots of great info on there from people who are obsessed with retiring early.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I'm still in the UPS Healthcare plan. Not too bad off, my wife and I went on a doctor's spree in April and May to stock up on meds before the new plan hit in June. Dental didn't change; Vision plan is back to what it was when I was working, so that's good. It's the damn medical that's really got us down-with the deductible now and 20% now vs 10% before on visits. I enjoyed all my life and even into retirement zero dollars on prescriptions so the 20% that we have to pay is nibbling at my mind right now. Some of our meds are pretty expensive, special migraine Rx's. But we'll get through it. Less than 4 years to go until SS and I still own property in NJ that is being rented out that covers not only the mortgage but the bill on our RV. On the fence there on what to do with that. We'd like to sell that home and get something closer to home here in the valley (Phoenix area, specifically the East valley). Will see how it goes.

I don't think Obamacare would be able to touch what I'm paying for my healthcare now. I guess I'll wait and see what kind of concessions the active employees give back next contract.