when to retire?

In one sense that is why I did not retire at 55 with 30 years but there were also other considerations also beyond the monthly pension payment amount. Also I wasn't ready to stop working either. Each person will have unique circumstances and there is no 1 size fits all. What I do likely won't work for you and what you do won't work for me. We don't even work the same kind of job so even that presents difference circumstances.

In talking with retirees both inside and outside UPS, one common thought often expressed by many is to not retire until you reach the day where you absolutely can't walk through the door one more time. Then you are ready but also you are ready to go out on your terms and not anyone else.
I seen too many guys retire and still have a mortgage. Get your house in order and walk out on your own terms. Too many factors to give a blanket answer on this subject. I don't want to work too long but I don't want to quit and screw myself.

rod

Retired 22 years
In talking with retirees both inside and outside UPS, one common thought often expressed by many is to not retire until you reach the day where you absolutely can't walk through the door one more time. Then you are ready but also you are ready to go out on your terms and not anyone else.

Sorry but that has to win the stupidest comment of the year award. Why would anyone work that long?

rod

Retired 22 years
Now that you are sweating the pension problem, I'd be a little more reserved in calling someone stupid for making a choice you didn't.

I'm not sweating the pension plan now. I have things under control. I've got way over a half a million bucks out of it so far and it should last for a few more years so I guess all I can say is "it sucks to be you if you want to work 50 years". Personally I think you are just jealous.

wkmac

I'm not sweating the pension plan now. I have things under control. I've got way over a half a million bucks out of it so far and it should last for a few more years so I guess all I can say is "it sucks to be you if you want to work 50 years". Personally I think you are just jealous.

Hate to disappoint but I'll fall well short of 50 but if I did, I'd own it.

oldupsman

Of all the guys I've worked with and have retired, I NEVER EVER heard one say, "I retired too soon."
However I've had 5 or 6 guys say to me, "I waited to long. Should have left earlier."

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Opinions vary.
Ima disagree with you on this one mac. The #1 sentiment I hear when I talk to retirees is "I wish I'd done it sooner". I don't want to be one of those guys, so the minute the numbers add up to where I can say "I can make this work", I'm gone.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ima disagree with you on this one mac. The #1 sentiment I hear when I talk to retirees is "I wish I'd done it sooner". I don't want to be one of those guys, so the minute the numbers add up to where I can say "I can make this work", I'm gone.

Agreed---I've NEVER heard anyone say they wished they worked longer.

wkmac

That's cool but I still stand behind what I said and again, opinions vary. I've also heard some folks say they are out ASAP but I've also spoke with others who say otherwise. And also look back at my post as I used the word "many" and not ALL but I also pointed out I spoke with people from UPS and not from UPS. I think we can all agree that UPS doesn't hold a monopoly on the concept of retirement.

Thus people with different experiences with have.....wait for it.......different opinions!
;)