Where can I find summary of benefits?

T-Dubya

Hey everyone,
I am a new part-time package handler in Columbus, OH - Teamster Local 413 (location #4329D) and I have several questions.
Most importantly, can I find a complete summary of benefits for package car delivery drivers and mechanics online?
Or would it be a lot faster to find a union steward and ask for a copy of the union contract?
How much do full time employees pay per month for UPS insurance?
How much do full time employees pay per month to contribute to their pension?
How long would I be on second shift as a mechanic? Am I looking at 10-15 years?
How much experience do UPS automotive maintenance managers require just to get an interview? I have seven years experience as a mechanic and did not get an interview when I applied for a recent posting for a UPS mechanic.
I do know the drivers and mechanics in Cbus have different unions. I was a full time mechanic before I recently joined UPS. I am thinking about staying with UPS for the rest of my career or move on to working full time as a bus mechanic at a public school district. Both full time jobs are similar in benefits: both offer a pension, are M-friend, dayshift hours, offer great vacation - however, UPS vacation is much better in the long run and both offer affordable medical insurance - however UPS insurance, I've heard, is $40/month?) So I need more information, and help from all of you on this website, so that I can make the most informed decision possible.
I am sort of facing a dilemma. I am 33 years old, have a one year old son and plan on having more kids in the near future. I am passionate about being a parent, and like most parents, I want to maximize the amount of time I can spend with my son, especially as young as he is. I want to be a good husband and parent and help out at home in the evenings. A job as a bus mechanic with a public school district and a full time UPS mechanic or driver have similar benefits. However, a job with a public school district will pay approximately $45K/yr. but I will work only eight hour days and be home by 5pm every evening and be able to help the wife with the kids. On the other hand, I could work the estimated 2-4 yrs. part time until I can get a full time job as a driver or mechanic. And the UPS full time job I will eventually make $70K-$80K/yr. but work 9am-7pm M-friend, and subsequently, arrive home close to 8pm and not be home in time to help with or have quality time with my wife and young kids.
Am I overthinking this?
Do you think my assumptions are correct about the length of a work day with UPS and not being able help at home when my kids are very young?
I'm just scared to screw up my decision and miss my kids lives. I realize life isn't about acquiring money. I would really appreciate all of your input.
Respectfully,
Tyler W.

brownelf

If you want a regular schedule you may want to be a mechanic. Package car driving will soon involve working on Saturdays for many and the hours can vary depending on area and seniority. If spending time with your young family is important being a package car driver isn't the job for you.