where is the safest place to keep your 2-wheeler

TheKid

The mechanics drilled holes in the shelf behind the driver's seat (4000 section) and I use a bungee cord to secure it there.

tarbar66

Before I retired the center team was bullied by the Safety Committee to make sure that every car had a new 2 wheeler. The preload also got a bunch of new high level 4 wheelers for moving the irregs and missorts. I think the 2 wheelers may have cost $150 a pop but thats peanuts when talking about lost time injuries or bad production numbers.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tar

Thanks for posting another successful story about how some safety teams can make a huge difference. I thought I was the only one.

Like the kid posted, they put eyebolts in ours. Then you could lock yours in place with a chain or cable.

Before that, going to area, the best was buckled in the cab since my car did not have room for it in the back. On the say back to the center, middle shelf behind the driver. That kept it from moving too bad.

d

sendagain

Handcarts used to disappear regularly years ago before they had to be chained up. Nothing was worse than to get to work and find yours stolen by another driver. If a mantic rush through numerous vehicles did not produce it, you grabbed anything you could find, because the job just can't get done without one.

I delivered to an airport and had a customer which made propellers. I would take whatever cart I happened to lay my hands on in my emergency, and spray paint it another color while on route. The previous owner would never suspect it was once theirs, and I could find it easily if it had been ripped off from me.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I have left an extra 2 wheeler on route. I have a customer that will use it and if I ever forget mine or it goes on a walk about I have a back up plan.

Now is this stealing, ofcourse not I just forgot my 2 wheeler there and I keep forgetting to pick it back up.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Another benefit of being a satellite driver! No one is going to drive 40 miles to come steel my handcart!

Before I was satellited, I spent many a morning having to look for my handcart. Stopped at a hardware store one afternoon and bought a can of PINK spray paint. Painted handcart during lunch that day. Never had a problem of some one else ever taking my cart again. 5 years later and there is still some pink showing.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
You could leave it at one of your customers and pick it up when you make the delivery and drop it off at the pickup.
I went into a customer once, and they had 7 UPS twowheelers in the stock room. Too much of a good thing?

I painted my route number on mine. That way, I would know if anyone took it from me. Happened once. Had it chained into his package car. I cut the chains and got it back.

d

bigbrownhen

I still have the little wire rack in my car that I bungee it to. The newer trucks don't have it, so the mechanics either drilled holes or installed eye bolts for the drivers. Either way, I believe they should be secured some way or another. Occasionally I will forget to secure mine, once I turn a corner I am remined by the big bang on the bulk head door or when it slams on the floor.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The handcart should simply be regarded as part of the package car. For the life of me I cant comprehend why a center would have fewer carts than package cars, or why drivers should have to beg, steal or borrow them prior to leaving in the morning.

tourists24

The handcart should simply be regarded as part of the package car. For the life of me I cant comprehend why a center would have fewer carts than package cars, or why drivers should have to beg, steal or borrow them prior to leaving in the morning.
Its money like everything else. It costs money to put hand carts in every car. Same reason it takes an act of congress to get uniforms. 3 months to get pants last time. Thats why resorting to childish games like wearing the old uniforms with holes in them is what it takes sometimes. Or spending 10 minutes of a.m. time walking around the building "on the clock" just to hunt down a hand truck.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Its money like everything else. It costs money to put hand carts in every car. Same reason it takes an act of congress to get uniforms. 3 months to get pants last time. Thats why resorting to childish games like wearing the old uniforms with holes in them is what it takes sometimes. Or spending 10 minutes of a.m. time walking around the building "on the clock" just to hunt down a hand truck.

I've been known to walk up to the DM and ask if the company is having money issues. Amazing what you can get.